Noobie needing guidance. Want flash

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
Just ordered my NC yesterday ($50 off!).

I've been reading all the how tos and such, and thing I can handle the rooting, ADB, CWR, ...etc. And will just ahve to play to figure out launcher and such.

my issue is that I want flash. what's the best/easiest way to go about doing this? Froyo, GB, HC? Are any more stable than the others? Is there just a flash app (my HTC Hero plays flash using HTC flash player). Please use noob speak here. I keep reading about phiremod something and don't know what that is.

If i do need Froyo, GB, or HC...how do I do it? and WHEN should I do it? right after rooting? after CWR?

Are there other benefits to HC that should motivate me to just go ahead and do it anyway?

Thanks!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
^what avi said...

Take it one step at a time. You don't even have your NookColor yet, so lets get over that hurdle first. I am going to move this thread to the general discussion though.

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
Hey Avi. Been reading plenty. Been to most of the threads in your link. Just don't see anything specifically about flash.

I've read the rooting instructions multiple times, and even read your thread on how to make Nook awesome. Again, doesn't mention flash.

Just like to get a head start and have time to read and learn what I need to know before doing it. I plan to root this thing the minute I get it and the SD card. Just don't want to go through everything and then realize I needed to do something 4 steps prior to get flash.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
xfee, I will break it down into noob speak for you.

1. The stock nook is built on Android 2.1 (eclaire) which does not and will not have flash. The majority of the stable builds are 2.1 and you should start there.

2. If you insist on flash you need to understand how ClockWorkRecover/Mod (CWR/CWM) works and should probably try something simple first like using CWR to overclock your rooted nook 2.1. Once you understand the process you can try to flash an Adroid 2.2 (froyo) ROM such as phiremod BetaV2 onto your nookk. Any of the 2.2 ROMs are going to have slightly buggier behavior than the 2.1 ROMS.

3. There isn't much happening in the way of 2.3 (gingerbread) ROMs so you are likely to be working on the finges withouth much help if something goes wrong.

4. Same as above for android 3.0 (honeycomb). This is is a pretty easy one to run from and SD card though but it won't do you much good other than to get a preivew of HC since many features don't work.

I hope that helps.

-JP

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
xfee, I will break it down into noob speak for you.

1. The stock nook is built on Android 2.1 (eclaire) which does not and will not have flash. The majority of the stable builds are 2.1 and you should start there.

2. If you insist on flash you need to understand how ClockWorkRecover/Mod (CWR/CWM) works and should probably try something simple first like using CWR to overclock your rooted nook 2.1. Once you understand the process you can try to flash an Adroid 2.2 (froyo) ROM such as phiremod BetaV2 onto your nookk. Any of the 2.2 ROMs are going to have slightly buggier behavior than the 2.1 ROMS.

3. There isn't much happening in the way of 2.3 (gingerbread) ROMs so you are likely to be working on the finges withouth much help if something goes wrong.

4. Same as above for android 3.0 (honeycomb). This is is a pretty easy one to run from and SD card though but it won't do you much good other than to get a preivew of HC since many features don't work.

I hope that helps.

-JP

Really? Have you not noticed the massive conversations about phiremodv4 and CM7? Both are 2.3 based; and while they certainly have their issues, what they do have is fairly stable, and moving forward at a nice clip.

That being said, to the OP, if Flash is a deal breaker, then you will have to look at using one of the "experimental" roms. Don't let the E word scare you though, some of those builds are quite nice and well along the way to being a daily user. I would recommend the phiremod mentioned earlier since it is pretty solid and a few of the more experienced users here are running it now.

But do take your time and read a lot (twice) before playing around. Remember though, the Nook Color is nearly impossible to brick so feel comfortable that we can get you to where you want to be. :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
face, you are acorrect, and I have been following those threads but I would say they are far beyond a noob at this stage (well not really with the excellent write ups but I wouldn't recomend them for a noob anyway). I only meant that 2.1 and some 2.2 were fairly accessable as was HC from an SD with fairly limited knowledge.

Keep up the good work on pushing the envelope ;)

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
@J515OP
Yup, starting to understand how CWR and CWM work (as much as I can understand them without doing it yet). I will be pretty comfortable rooting.
2-4 answered my question! was reading more about that earlier and was coming to the impression that 2.2+ aren't completely stable yet. thanks for answering

Side note: B&N will be updating the Nook Color to Android 2.2 w/flash in the next ~4-6 weeks.
!!!!!!!! will be searching for thread!!!

@faceman

No, not a deal breaker, but a definite want. you guys are moving this stuff along at an astonishing pace. I've only been lurking a week and i've seen new releases of stuff, new walkthroughs...etc. I have no doubt 2.2+ will be figured out very soon. Seems like I've jumped on at the right time for the NC. your help is very much appreciated.

face, you are acorrect, and I have been following those threads but I would say they are far beyond a noob at this stage (well not really with the excellent write ups but I wouldn't recomend them for a noob anyway). I only meant that 2.1 and some 2.2 were fairly accessable as was HC from an SD with fairly limited knowledge.

Keep up the good work on pushing the envelope ;)
I may have tried to buffer myself from the wrath of super users a bit too much. Sorry, I'm used to a pretty aggressive car forum. I read the write-ups and think I can get through them just fine. It's more the instability that's of concern to me, and seems like Flash working is hit or miss anyway. I think some patience may pay off here.

thanks for taking the time

poofyhairguy

Mar 2, 2011
Here, I made this to help:

nookie.jpg

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
Think I need to read up on cm7. Thought it had flash.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
If B&N is going to do an upgrade in a few weeks, why not try working with the more stable stuff for now and then get flash once it is "official"? There is an awful lot to try and a lot to learn until then.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
@OP In conjunction to what everyone else has said here are my suggestions....

Decide if rooting is right for you then

First things first. Read all this stufff http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ks-frequently-asked-questions-read-first.html

Root the device using the proper NookDev instructions http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

Once rooted take a step back and get use to your newly rooted device.

Second Part. Research clockworkmod recovery and decide if you want to install it to do things like load roms, kernels and make backups.

Third Part. Decide how risky you want to get and what you want out of your device.

The most stable froyo rom with flash video IMO is phiremod Beta2.

There is also CM7 or the newer phiremods but they can require some work to get back to a previous backup from what I understand.

8mpg

Mar 2, 2011
Im a noob here as well...just got my NC last weekend. After screwing around with HC, Froyo SD, I was a bit disappointed. Nothing seemed to ahve a working flash (though many people said the flash worked on the SD froyo).

I started looking on youtube and found xboxexperts video. Very fluid, flash works, etc. I think its very stable so far. Id recommend using his ROM. Its emmc but it have a recovery already loaded. He tries to get you to pay $50 for his instructions if you dont know how, but the ROM itself is free.
Link:
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Someone on slickdeals showed me this link:
[ROM] xe.nook.color-froyo-v2.2-flashable - xda-developers
which is the instructions he tries to sell. He pissed a lot of people off over there for trying to get people to pay for it and they closed the thread. Been using it for 2 days now and Im super impressed.