NOOKcolor Full Specifications

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Gotcha. I don't think that's 6 months away, as far as Android tablets are concerned. ;)

-Matt

Dec 17, 2010
The other thing I wasn't clear on was 3g/4g...but no contract? Are you thinking prepaid SIM card? Pay-as-you go?

-Matt

I want the option of going with a contract (hopefully with a hardware discount), a prepaid service (Virgin's new $40 plan looks good. So does ClearWire if you can get it), or WiFi only.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I want the option of going with a contract (hopefully with a hardware discount), a prepaid service (Virgin's new $40 plan looks good. So does ClearWire if you can get it), or WiFi only.
When I saw the options for the Samsung Galaxy Tab, my knee-jerk reaction was "no way I'm getting a data plan." Now that I've played with the wifi-only NC for a while, I do definitely want data access when I'm out and about. The epiphany is I DON'T WANT to pay $30-$40! I guess I'm a cheap bastard...I'm not even interested in a $10 1GB/month plan!

In the case of the NC, maybe we'll find a way to USB tether. Oh...wait a second...I think I can do wifi tether with my Droid. Hmmm...have to explore that one!

-Matt

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
adhoc i think is the more common way of sharing your cellphone's data connection over wifi. But Android just didn't have the support for it, until this.

Android 2.2 doesn't use adhoc to share the connection though.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I don't really understand the need for the adhoc fix, tethering to the NC works just fine. Many people don't have their wifi tether set up correctly or are using an old version.

nullrider

Dec 23, 2010
Oh yes, I will definitely root...but I will probably wait until 2.2 comes out (hopefully, I can wait!) In fact, that was one of the selling points for me...that I can get that great capacitive screen for a low price and root it to open up all the possibilities.

Plus, it's just fun to root stuff :)

Go ahead and root now. It's easy to un-root.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
New extreme tear down in progress by the fellows at NovaPorts.org, OP updated.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
IPS Screen Technology Explained

"In-Plane Switching (IPS) is an LCD technology first introduced in 1996 by Hitachi. It was initially developed to correct the poor viewing angles and color problems that LCDs had at the time.

Due to initial high-costs, IPS adoption was low at first, and mainly found only in high-end monitors, aimed primiarliy at the professional sector. Of course, over time, IPS was improved and refined, and as is the case with most new technologies, costs eventually came down to an acceptable level for mass-production. For example, Apple's iMacs and iPads use IPS displays..

The IPS display used in the Nook Color is a 7-inch 1024-by-600 resolution LED-backlit LCD screen. IPS gives the Nook Color an impressive wide viewing-angle of up to 178 degrees, same as the iPad. Other LCD technologies tend to have narrower viewing angles, especially in the vertical direction.

Ensuring that the device can be held in a variety of ways without major viewing angle issues was clearly of great importance to the Nook Color, especially considering that you'll rotate the Nook Color depending on what you're viewing, and Barns and Noble positions the Nook Color as a casual use 'living-room' device, perfect for consuming an assortment of multimedia.

Typical casual-use devices, namely netbooks, use a twisted nematic (TN) display technology. TN although cheaper, offers inferior color reproduction (only 6-bit color, while IPS supports richer 8-bit color), and lower viewing angles, so the Nook Color's use of a higher quality display techology (IPS) for such a casual device is welcomed."

-PC World

rualexru

Feb 6, 2011
The hardware is almost perfect - 800 MHz A8, 512MB, Capacitive screen. It just lacks HDMI out, a Mic and camera(not that important to me). A back button would be nice too, but I don't see one mentioned anywhere. Froyo would top it all off(maybe coming in Jan 2011). Anyone know if this will handle the AC3 codec? Maybe through a software player? I can pick one up right now for about 268 with tax, free shipping from B&N. Ready to pull trigger...but...must wait....for better...ughhh...

I'm waiting too... stay strong lol