Playback not supported on rooted devices (Error 49)

mmolfese

Jul 30, 2011
I tried to rent a movie tonight from the android market. When I went to play the movie an error message appears; Playback not supported on rooted devices (Error 49). My tablet isn't rooted. I've had it for just under two weeks. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? It has version 3.1.

rickio

May 14, 2011
You should send a bug report. Its a new market an new android version. Bound to be bugs.

Sent from my MID7024 using Android Tablet Forum

May 10, 2011
has your tablet Ever been rooted? i read that even if your tablet is no longer rooted, but was before, it still wont let you in to the rental service.

mkydee

Sep 3, 2011
Just tried to rent a movie and received same message. Device is 3 days old and never been rooted. Please help.

HD87

May 14, 2011
Go to Movie2k.to in your browser, why rent a movie? when you can watch one for free ;)

FabledWeb

Sep 5, 2011
I had this same problem and I have not rooted my device. After poking around for a little while, I noticed a section in the google help section that mentioned being able to watch it on your computer at youtube.com/movies. They don't mention that it also works on your "rooted" device. Make sure you open the video in your browser (not in the youtube app). I had to switch to the nonmobile version of the site to do this.

You'll have to create a youtube account and link it to the google account you used to rent the movie if you haven't already.

Looks like it's too late for the rental you were talking about, but hopefully this helps the next person that stumbles upon this. Good luck all. Here's to hoping they deal with this soon.