Pulling Out My Hair Over What To Get

test1.0

May 24, 2012
Hi fellow android users, first post here!

im pretty confused and totally new to tablets, i have a couple of questions if you do not mind :)

1: Whats the deal with the cheap china tablets, are they fake ? or some sort of counterfeit android software.............. i just don't understand how they can be so cheap to buy

2: What is the tpk package :confused:

3: what would you recommend for someone looking to just check there gmail and browse the internet, maybe watch the odd youtube vid for under £100 in the uk ?

Thanks in advance

Lloyd

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, I will try. But others can likely do better
First recommendation, Read about the various versions and look at what you are able to afford. Then read some more
1. Cheap China Tabs are exactly that. Low cost with no support and many times limited potential usable life. There are some exceptions, but majority are similar to each other and offer no path forward other than community. The more popular the Inexpensive tablet, the more likely there will be a community (Non-Factory) Firmware available. (Firmware is the OS build specific to the tablet design.) It is important to understand, you cannot just install some other device firmware and expect it to work. You will more likely brick the unit.
2. I assume you mean apk and not tpk. APKs are zipped compressed installation packages for an application installed or to be installed on an Android Phone or Tablet.
3. I would recommend you look about. Anything about £100 is the break point of really limited to not so bad. I would consider some of the bigger names which seem to offer Firmware updates. Arnova is the low end of Archos. There are other brands which do as well. These also seem to be better built too. If I were in the US (Oh wait, I am) I would even go with a Kindle Fire even for your need. But I cannot speak to what is currently available as in major brands. The real break point between decent tablets and not so good is closer to £150.

Best of Luck

test1.0

May 24, 2012
Thanks alot much appreciated, i understand it more now, to be honist i might try a cheapy just to see how i get on as i already have a pc and laptop plus android phone
oh and my apologies i just realized i have posted this in the wrong section..............

i was looking at this but the thing that bothers me is its touch pad is a pressure pad

coby mid 7033

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
I've got an Ainol Aurora and I love it! I also have an ASUS tf101-b1 and I use both regularly. If you can wait a couple months though, the Google Nexus tablet will be released. You won't have to worry about dealing with the Chinese issues and it's supposed to be priced at $200 USD.