Recovering a brick!

guy.joseph

Dec 21, 2010
Ok, the story thus far.

Got a brand new Flytouch on Friday. Used it over the weekend and really liked it. Didn't do anything like rooting or flashing, just downloaded some apps off the Market.

On Sunday, I ended up not being able to boot further than the Green WowPad Screen. I did a bit of research on the web, and found out that it needed a restore. I held power, home and back to get into what I believed to be recovery mode. However what I got was a screen saying "Press the required keys for a factory reset. System will boot in 5, 4, 3...)" I pressed the keys again, and the progress bar came up to reset.

Awesome - I got my tablet back. I thought!

It seems that it's restored to the 1001 version. It will not connect to my Wifi - saying Could not scan networks when I try to scan, and Could not save network when I add manually.

My supplier has given me a firmware update, that he said I should put on my SD card then boot, which will restore it.

However, I cannot get it to boot from SD, nor can I get into the Recovery menu.

Can somebody help!

Cheers

DanDare

Dec 31, 2010
I had the same prob with wifi not connecting after a restore to the 1001 firmware connect a ethernet cable from your pad to the router and run system update.

System update will download and install the latest firmware for you.

guy.joseph

Dec 21, 2010
The prob i had was i could get into the restore menu by pressing and holding down MENU + POWER untill restore screen i put the update.zip on a mem card it would read the zip and come up with a error message.
There is a way to restore via usb go have a look here ---> InfoTM X220 (Flytouch II, WOWpad, SuperPAD) ROM Development - Page 50 - xda-developers

lots of info but lots to read as well.

Good luck.

I'm looking at a method to restore by USB. Have ordered a cable.

I never got any notifcation of the presence of update.zip. I unzipped it, left it zipped and so on, and even tried doing a factory reset with it on the card, but no luck!

DanDare

Dec 31, 2010
One thing i did find out i have 2 mem cards a Transcend 4gig and a cheap 2gig it would not find the update.zip on the cheap card i tryed refomatting it still would not work ?

only found the update.zip on the Transcend card.

guy.joseph

Dec 21, 2010
Hmm OK. At the moment I'm using a 2gb transcend card. I've got some more cards in the post so maybe I'll try them!

guy.joseph

Dec 21, 2010
After a bit more work, I'm having no joy.

I've tried a different card, and I've also tried to update by USB. The problem is that no matter how hard I try, and using however many key combinations I can think of, I cannot get into the Bootloader menu. Does anybody know an app that can force it, or another way?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I know on the G Tab, the button combo is actually Volume UP and Power, and on the S7 it is Power and Send, so you may have to play around a bit with different combinations to find what actually works.

I find it is usually whatever combo that will require three hands instead of the standard two is what is expected......

guy.joseph

Dec 21, 2010
I know on the G Tab, the button combo is actually Volume UP and Power, and on the S7 it is Power and Send, so you may have to play around a bit with different combinations to find what actually works.

I find it is usually whatever combo that will require three hands instead of the standard two is what is expected......

OK, I've still not had any success, here are all the combinations I've tried:

Power + Back (iPad style front button) = Random Numbers, Countdown from 5 then normal boot
Power + Back + Vol Down = Random Numbers, Countdown from 5 then normal boot
Power + Back + Vol Up = Random Numbers, Countdown from 5 then normal boot

Power + Home + Back = "Press the required keys if you wish to perform a factory reset"
Power + Home + Vol Up + Back = "Press the required keys if you wish to perform a factory reset"
Power + Home + Vol Down + Back = "Press the required keys if you wish to perform a factory reset"

Power + Menu = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Vol Up = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Vol Down = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Back = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Home = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Home + Vol Up = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Home + Vol Down = Hangs on Infotmic Logo

Power + Volume Down = Normal Boot
Power + Volume Up = Normal Boot
Power + Volume Up + Volume Down = Normal Boot

guy.joseph

Dec 21, 2010
A little bit of maths has lead me to being able to create this list:
{Home,V+} {Home,V-} {Home,Menu} {Home,Back} {V+,V-} {V+,Menu} {V+,Back} {V-,Menu} {V-,Back} {Menu,Back} {Home,V+,V-} {Home,V+,Menu} {Home,V+,Back} {Home,V-,Menu} {Home,V-,Back} {Home,Menu,Back} {V+,V-,Menu} {V+,V-,Back} {V+,Menu,Back} {V-,Menu,Back} {Home,V+,V-,Menu} {Home,V+,V-,Back} {Home,V+,Menu,Back} {Home,V-,Menu,Back} {V+,V-,Menu,Back}

It is every combination of buttons that can be pressed with the power button. Adding that to my previous list:

Power + Home + Vol Up + Vol Down = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Home + Vol Up + Menu = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Home + Vol Down + Menu = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Home + Vol Down + Menu + Back = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Home + Vol Up + Menu + Back = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Home + Vol Up + Vol Down + Back = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Home + Back = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Vol Up + Vol Down = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Vol Up + Back = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Vol Down + Back = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Vol Up + Vol Down + Home = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Vol Up = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Vol Down = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Back = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Menu + Home = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Home + Vol Up = Hangs on Infotmic Logo
Power + Home + Vol Down = Hangs on Infotmic Logo

Power + Back + Vol Up + Vol Down = Random Numbers, Countdown from 5 then normal boot
Power + Back (iPad style front button) = Random Numbers, Countdown from 5 then normal boot
Power + Back + Vol Down = Random Numbers, Countdown from 5 then normal boot
Power + Back + Vol Up = Random Numbers, Countdown from 5 then normal boot

Power + Home + Vol Up + Vol Down + Back = "Press the required keys if you wish to perform a factory reset"
Power + Home + Back = "Press the required keys if you wish to perform a factory reset"
Power + Home + Vol Up + Back = "Press the required keys if you wish to perform a factory reset"
Power + Home + Vol Down + Back = "Press the required keys if you wish to perform a factory reset"

Power + Volume Down = Normal Boot
Power + Volume Up = Normal Boot
Power + Volume Up + Volume Down = Normal Boot

So. Is there a way to force my tablet into a recovery mode, or should I give up?

sicktght311

Dec 6, 2010
Seems you have the exact same problem as me. I have found no solution yet other than USB-->computer and then update from the PC, which is a pain.

I contacted where i bought the device from, havent heard back yet

guy.joseph

Dec 21, 2010
Have you been able to get USB to PC to work? I've got a USB male to Male cable, but I understood that you had to boot into the recovery screen before it would allow you to flash.
Out of interest, who did you buy off?

sicktght311

Dec 6, 2010
Have you been able to get USB to PC to work? I've got a USB male to Male cable, but I understood that you had to boot into the recovery screen before it would allow you to flash.
Out of interest, who did you buy off?

Havent tried to flash via USB since i dont have a male-male cable and i'm not willing to purchase one to do something that the device should do on its own. Waiting to hear back from the seller (epadronics on ebay) regarding return address.

grabpage

Jan 9, 2011
I'm looking at a method to restore by USB. Have ordered a cable.

I never got any notifcation of the presence of update.zip. I unzipped it, left it zipped and so on, and even tried doing a factory reset with it on the card, but no luck!

What kind of cable did you order? I am having the same problem, but connecting two devices with a USB A(M)-A(M) is typically pretty risky unless you have a bridge circuit between them. I'm concerned about frying my pad's and/or computer's USB or power supply.