Request: Step by step root for 7022..

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
Yeah I agree. It seems to be assumed that people have a certain amount of knowledge before coming here. I would love if this would be a place where beginners could learn the basics and become more advanced users.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Android Tablet Forum

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Yeah I agree. It seems to be assumed that people have a certain amount of knowledge before coming here. I would love if this would be a place where beginners could learn the basics and become more advanced users.

We probably need more sticky threads for these situations with step by steps. As for using adb and android sdk xda has very good detailed threads on how to use it with video tutorials. Can't find video tutorial but here is this [Guide] Setting up ADB [Windows] - xda-developers

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
Thanks I will head over to xda right now and see what i can learn:)

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
Hey guys

I'm trying to do this, but I'm getting stuck trying to install update.zip (trying to backup stock recovery). I've tried a few files now and the results I get are the same every time.

What happens is:

If I boot into recovery it can't seem to see update.zip (yes it's where it's supposed to be)

If I install updates from settings I get:

Finding update package...
opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:Failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (no such file or directory)

I feel like i'm missing something obvious here, any ideas?

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Hey guys

I'm trying to do this, but I'm getting stuck trying to install update.zip (trying to backup stock recovery). I've tried a few files now and the results I get are the same every time.

What happens is:

If I boot into recovery it can't seem to see update.zip (yes it's where it's supposed to be)

If I install updates from settings I get:

I feel like i'm missing something obvious here, any ideas?

My guess is that you are placing the update.zip on a micro sd card. update.zip needs to be placed on the internal NAND which comes up under sdcard in file explorer within the tablet.

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
My guess is that you are placing the update.zip on a micro sd card. update.zip needs to be placed on the internal NAND which comes up under sdcard in file explorer within the tablet.

hmm, no that's not it.

ES file explorer is showing me update.zip in the directory /sdcard/ (this is with the microSD removed btw)

What I'm getting on screen is a little abbreviated, I don't think they say anything else, but...

E:Can't mount /sdcard/update.zip
Installation aborted

I'm not sure if there are different versions floating around, but if it helps any the header say "Android system recovery <3e>"

Edit: I saw something in this thread stating that I should unzip the recovery file (different download from the ones I've tried and the link is dead), I've been following the other guides I've seen which just tell me to rename the file.
Could this be the problem?

The file structure inside the (current) update.zip i'm trying to install contains a folder (META-INF) and various subfolders as well as a file 'dump_image', is there anything I need from this?

Last edited:

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
hmm, no that's not it.

ES file explorer is showing me update.zip in the directory /sdcard/ (this is with the microSD removed btw)

What I'm getting on screen is a little abbreviated, I don't think they say anything else, but...

E:Can't mount /sdcard/update.zip
Installation aborted

I'm not sure if there are different versions floating around, but if it helps any the header say "Android system recovery <3e>"

Edit: I saw something in this thread stating that I should unzip the recovery file (different download from the ones I've tried and the link is dead), I've been following the other guides I've seen which just tell me to rename the file.
Could this be the problem?

The file structure inside the (current) update.zip i'm trying to install contains a folder (META-INF) and various subfolders as well as a file 'dump_image', is there anything I need from this?

You are using files from funs website and/or xda thread right?

Telechips custom firmwares | androtab.info

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
/facepalm

Got it working, on a whim I copied the update to the MicroSD and that worked.

Everything I read made me think that the file should be on the internal memory (I.E. 4GB internal SD) and not on the microSD

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
/facepalm

Got it working, on a whim I copied the update to the MicroSD and that worked.

Everything I read made me think that the file should be on the internal memory (I.E. 4GB internal SD) and not on the microSD

yea same here. I wasnt sure how stock recovery worked. I know with clockwork mod things must be on the micro sd card as it wont read the nand but i just saw funs directions which said directory "system/sdcard/" lol

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
Well, tablet is now rooted. Thanks for the assist.

If someone does get around to doing a guide to rooting these things they might want to put a suggestion that copies of the files are put in /sdcard/ and on the microSD (/SDcard/tflash) just to save messing around if the tablet decides to play silly buggers with the install...

not12listen

Jun 30, 2011
subscribed to this thread! :)

i'll be going through this when i get a time this week, as i'd really like to be able to change a few things about my 7022...

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
Hey all. I am rooted and everything. Was just wondering how to expand the app partition. Much too small!

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7022

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Hey all. I am rooted and everything. Was just wondering how to expand the app partition. Much too small!

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7022

Its flash memory so we can't unless a custom rom is released. Which we need coby to release the firmware before that happens. Took them a long time to release 7024 firmware so we might have a while to wait :(

But you can install links2sd on the tablet to make a partition on your physical sd card.

not12listen

Jun 30, 2011
please let me know if this is a dumb question, as i am still VERY NEW to all things Android related...

must you 'root' the 7022 in order to install/get CM working?