[ROM][5.1.1] AOSP-5.1.1 / CM-12.1 for Lenovo a2109 (20160901)

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
The new KitKat build is up, you can find it in the last post in the KitKat thread. I'm giving it a few days before I update the first post in that thread.

In the meantime, three people have tried the latest Lollipop build, and so far we have no bricks to report. Keeping my fingers crossed!

johan111

Jul 7, 2014
For all of you how want to repair your A2109, this is the link on EBay for less then $15 US:

OEM Lenovo IdeaTab A2109A 9" MAINBOARD 16GB

Also, you will find all the info to open and replace the part:

Lenovo IdeaTab A2109 System Board Replacement
The new KitKat build is up, you can find it in the last post in the KitKat thread. I'm giving it a few days before I update the first post in that thread.

In the meantime, three people have tried the latest Lollipop build, and so far we have no bricks to report. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I am back on the board, folks! I bought a new system board for only $4.50, transport cost included! Thanks @joebine for the replacement instructions link.
@PJBrs The latest cm11 installed, encountered multiple Wizard FC's but I clicked them away ;) Now I am bit scared of installing Lollipop, but maybe one day I will go through this. It looks that your fundraising target has changed, since I and joebine have already repaired devices.
Oh, I tried to install Xposed on the new cm11 build but it shows the framework is not compatible. Do you guys know what to do?

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
I am back on the board, folks! I bought a new system board for only $4.50, transport cost included! Thanks @joebine for the replacement instructions link.

Can you tell us where you bought a system board for $4.50? For all the peoples that have brick devices.

Thank you

joebine

Jan 14, 2015

@PJBrs, Can you put the link to download your latest lollipop build?

Thank you

Last edited:

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
@PJBrs, Can you put the link to download your latest lollipop build?

Thank you
Ehmmm, well, I think it needs more testing before I put it up for everybody to test. Currently, @jeremy6652, @profeet and @DBlake have installed it successfully. @Mister X and @fusm haven't tried it yet. I think five successful tests are sufficient to put it online for everybody else. Since you appear to be willing to test, I'll send you a link in a PM.

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
@PJBrs The latest cm11 installed, encountered multiple Wizard FC's but I clicked them away ;) Now I am bit scared of installing Lollipop, but maybe one day I will go through this.

Wizard FC's? You mean during first boot? I take it you didn't do a factory reset? Otherwise, that still does sound a bit strange... How is KitKat working for you? I'm assuming your on the 20160217 build.

It looks that your fundraising target has changed, since I and joebine have already repaired devices.

Yeah, well... I did order two motherboards recently, one of which is for myself, to have both known versions of A2109 (MP and PVT). Also, I bricked and replaced one device myself, so I'm hoping to recoup some of my own costs ;). We're at €22.

By the way, the current (known) brick count: @joebine, @killer2020, @jam97, @johan111 and @kin-kwok. Of these people, you and @joebine are back in business. Then again, this whole fund-raising business isn't exactly speeding along :rolleyes:. In my book, @killer2020 is first in line...

Oh, I tried to install Xposed on the new cm11 build but it shows the framework is not compatible. Do you guys know what to do?
I'm afraid I don't know what Xposed is!

Last edited:

johan111

Jul 7, 2014
Can you tell us where you bought a system board for $4.50? For all the peoples that have brick devices.

Thank you
I bought it on the most popular auction service in Poland, here is the link Płyta główna Lenovo A2109 The board is used and they give no guarantee that it works. I took a risk and I was lucky :)
But it is very possible that people from other countries will have problem with ordering on Allegro, because very often sellers don't agree to send items abroad.

Wizard FC's? You mean during first boot? I take it you didn't do a factory reset? Otherwise, that still does sound a bit strange... How is KitKat working for you? I'm assuming your on the 20160217 build.

Yeah, well... I did order two motherboards recently, one of which is for myself, to have both known versions of A2109 (MP and PVT). Also, I bricked and replaced one device myself, so I'm hoping to recoup some of my own costs ;). We're at €22.

By the way, the current (known) brick count: @joebine, @killer2020, @jam97, @johan111 and @kin-kwok. Of these people, you and @joebine are back in business. Then again, this whole fund-raising business isn't exactly speeding along :rolleyes:. In my book, @killer2020 is first in line...

I'm afraid I don't know what Xposed is!
Yes, I am running 20160217 build and it works like a charm! I did a factory reset, but still the Wizard was force closing during first boot.
I suggest to check Xposed, it is a powerful framework with hundreds of modules that allows modification of system and apps.

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Okay, we now have four successful tests, as well as identified new bugs (email crashes, autobrightness problems).

Furthermore, I have been conducting more experiments to get the camera working. Basically, two different approaches exist, using stock nvidia libraries or using grouper libraries.

I first tried with grouper libraries. This mostly works. It requires binary hacking the camera HAL and all its dependencies to refer to stock libraries instead of grouper libraries. I got the inspiration from the p880-devs.This seems to succeed, but the camera crashes on calling "PowerOnSensor".

I then tried with stock libraries. Unfortunately, the stock hwcomposer HAL is too old to load, so I used the tegra2 hwcomposer HAL from samsung-P4 (no idea what this is). This appears to work (it loads the old HAL), but the camera crashes on calling "PowerOnSensor".

It would appear that some patch somewhere is missing, and I don't know where. Perhaps I still need a camera wrapper.

Incidentally, I did this private build with the stock libraries after doing the KitKat rebuild, and I noticed that, again, syncing the lollipop tree did not pick up the lollipop kernel. Instead, I had a KitKat kernel. Something's fishy with repo.

Mister X

Feb 11, 2016
Hi PJ first off all thanks for your great work.

The ROM is stable and smooth, it will charge and no brick by overnight charge.
Some small errors E-Mail and autobrightness chrashes

THX
X

Mister X

Feb 11, 2016
I test other Kamera apps error notice is "Error opening the camera. Camera maybe in use by another program"
For exchange i test MailWise this program runs without errors

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
I install Lollipop on my tablet succesfully.

I will make some testing and I will get back.

IS there any Gapps that can install with your build? I try some but they are not working.

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Five successful tests, not counting my own. I think it's safe to put a build online again:

First - you should really upgrade recovery first:
cwm-6.0.5.1-20160214-UNOFFICIAL-kai.img (MD5: a8867e9837842f5ee90ee4a2604540c2)

Then upgrade your ROM:
cm-12.1-20160214-UNOFFICIAL-kai.zip (MD5: 71615903019b9e0602657a37b114f380)

Also, be sure to add a gapps package if you plan to use it, and install it right away. If you don't, I expect you will get gmail errors. Don't know why.

NOTE: This is a test build, bugs are to be expected. First boot takes ages, give it some time.

Then again - happy testing!

BUGS
  • Camera not working at all, don't know whether it'll ever work
  • Email app does nothing but crash (but apparently is phased out anyway)
  • Don't set adaptive brightness too low, or it'll adaptively give you a black screen...

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
After 24 hours of testing the lollipop build, this is my test results:

- Install Lollipop successfully with Gapps gapps-5.1-arm-2015-07-17-13-29.zip .
- I left the tablet plug in charger all night without problem.
- Bluetooth audio working well
- Video playback is OK
- music player is OK but get some glitches when the screen goes out in safe mode.
- I had some apps (not just one) that will not start or start and then freeze after a few minutes or are freezing for a few seconds then continue.
- overall It is working well but not best.
- I had a video problem with Angry birds Go on Kitkat but with this build it is OK.

I will continue testing and post my remarks as I had something.