[ROM][7.1.2] Unlegacy Android 7.1.2 (Nougat)

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
This post is _long_ overdue, but hey!

The latest ROM for our tablet is UnlegacyAndroid 7.1.2 (Nougat). Downloads are here:

Unlegacy Android - Downloads

You may wonder - what is UnlegacyAndroid? It is a ROM that tries to stay rather close to AOSP sources, with support for various tablets with Tegra3 chipsets, such as 2012 Nexus 7 (grouper / tilapia), Acer A500, and more. The people for UA have been the first to port a 3.4 kernel to tegra3 successfully, and their work has made it much, much easier to build marshmallow and nougat. So, major thanks go out to to Ziyann and Sheffzor for their amazing work bringing kernel 3.4 to tegra3 and all the other team members of UA!

I currently have no plans for making a new Nougat build of Lineage, since UA is so much better. Then again, with the sources below, building Lineage is actually very easy!

Installation instructions
These are general installation instructions for people coming from marshmallow, who already have flashed a recovery image. I'm assuming that you're either using twrp or cwm-6.0.5.1. If you're using cwm, please ignore its offer to fix root after installation. I added some commands that work on Linux, I'm not familiar with Windows beyond XP, but please add your own instructions in the comments for the benefit of others:
  1. Put the ROM on your SD-Card
  2. (Optional) put opengapps pico on your SD-Card (all other packages are too large)
  3. Install fastboot and adb on PC (actually not necessary, but nice to have)
  4. Reboot to recovery (e.g., adb reboot recovery)
  5. (Optional) back-up current ROM
  6. Clean cache and dalvik cache
  7. Install new ROM, and optionally gapps to (if you want to use gapps, you need to do it right away)
  8. Reboot
Note that first boot takes ages.

Features and bugs
  • Adoptable storage for SD-Card
  • Kernel 3.4
  • Cast display to chromecast (BUG: Crash upon disconnect; REGRESSION)
  • Screen recording
  • Overall a much smoother experience due to newer blobs
  • Sound (mic and speakers)
  • EGL
  • Video-playback
  • HDMI-out
  • Bluetooth
  • Bluesleep
  • Wifi
  • Wifi-direct (wifi-p2p)
  • GPS
  • Camera
  • Video recording
  • USB-OTG
  • External sdcard
  • SeLinux
  • Hardware rotation lock button
Bugs:
  • Crash on screen recording (REGRESSION)
  • Crash on disconnect screencast from chromecast (REGRESSION)
  • When connecting to usb while deep sleeping, it takes a long time for the device to wake up (REGRESSION)
  • You tell me!
Further development
Further development:
  • Backport google kernel security issues to kernel 3.4
  • Build newer twrp

Build instructions for UnlegacyAndroid
Sources are here:
GitHub - Unlegacy-Android/android_device_lenovo_a2109
GitHub - Unlegacy-Android/android_kernel_nvidia_tegra3
GitHub - Unlegacy-Android/android_hardware_nvidia_tegra3
GitHub - Unlegacy-Android/proprietary_vendor_lenovo
GitHub - Unlegacy-Android/proprietary_vendor_broadcom
GitHub - Unlegacy-Android/proprietary_vendor_nvidia
GitHub - Unlegacy-Android/proprietary_vendor_widevine

Note that the build instructions for UA as well as the assorted above trees should be enough to basically build almost any custom ROM. Only things needed (IIRC) are an additional patch to bionic and a patch to selinux to allow text relocations, and one patch to frameworks/base to support the rotation lock button.

Instructions:First install repo. Then create a root directory for your sources (e.g. ~/src/unlegacyandroid). Go into that directory and do:

Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/Unlegacy-Android/android.git -b aosp-7.1
repo sync
. build/envsetup.sh
brunch ua_a2109-userdebug

The -b switch selects which branch you'll build.

GOOD LUCK, ENJOY! :)

Last edited:

fusm

Jun 5, 2014
Great work!
Very very smoothly.
A little bug, download from browser will cause its crash.
Would you please tell me how to get root privilege? I've tried to flash supersu, but it doesn't work.

jam97

Mar 26, 2013
Great work!
Very very smoothly.
Would you please tell me how to get root privilege? I've tried to flash supersu, but it doesn't work.
Try Magsik.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

fusm

Jun 5, 2014
Another issue:
After flashing this rom, the power button always need to be pressed down 2 or 3 times to awake my tablet.

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Another issue:
After flashing this rom, the power button always need to be pressed down 2 or 3 times to awake my tablet.
This is a strange one, can't reproduce. I advise deleting cache and dalvik cache, and if that doesn't work, reinstall.

Hmmm.... I think I noticed something like that as well. Can you get a log from
Code:
 adb logcat

kin-kwok

Feb 14, 2016
Great work PJBrs.
How can I activate the split screen? I tried to hold the intents button for like 10+ seconds, but nothing happen.
Any idea?

Thanks.

KK

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Great work PJBrs.
How can I activate the split screen? I tried to hold the intents button for like 10+ seconds, but nothing happen.
Any idea?

Thanks.

KK
Eh, I have no idea. I did activate it once, and it took me a while to deactivate ;)

D

Deleted member 217101

I just tested split screen for the first time on the Sept 25th and Oct 12th builds. It works fine for me and activates almost immediately.

jam97

Mar 26, 2013
Hello,
I installed last build and found that the tablet performance isn't good comparing to the Android 6.0.1.

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Hello,
I installed last build and found that the tablet performance isn't good comparing to the Android 6.0.1.

Only the latest build, or all nougat builds? And can you be a little bit more specific?

jam97

Mar 26, 2013
Only the latest build, or all nougat builds? And can you be a little bit more specific?
Hello,
I have installed maybe three builds of 7.1, overall 6.01 is better regarding performance.
But the last 7.1 build is noticeably sluggish more then the others, ex. it takes long time just to open the Settings page!
BTW, I did fresh install and without Google Apps.

Thanks,

Last edited: