[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042 - Rooted, Deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamthequinn

May 22, 2012
Hi all,

Limey owner of a 7042 here and I've finally plucked up the courage to root and apply the ROM, but add me to the list of users who has suffered continual freezes and reboots since applying it (Win 7 64-bit user, using LiveSuitPack 1.07 and the recent ROM). I've tried twice to apply the ROM and both times it didn't go according to plan: the first time it didn't reboot automatically (as mentioned elsewhere) and I had to manually power it up; and the second time it did automatically reboot after applying the ROM but then froze when it got to the Android splash-screen. I think (in my limited experience of applying custom ROM's to Android devices - as in this evening) that, from my experiences and what I have read in this thread the secret is having a clean install of the ROM. It might be nothing but the first time I tried it I think I held down the +volume button too long (I'm happy to be corrected here if I am wrong) after the 'bump' sound and maybe that's why it didn't reboot as expected (it showed momentarily the battery icon). Conscious of that I was maybe too trigger-happy in releasing the power and +vol after the second attempt: I'll try a third time later before playing around with different GAPPS.

Finally a big thank-you for all those in this thread/forum who have gone to such great lengths to develop a working, rooted, ROM for this device (even if we're not there yet). I do think that, once there is a stable ROM, it will make the 7042 a real bargain tablet (which I bought on this side of The Pond for a VERY reasonable £95).

rameshudupi

Jun 9, 2012
@ ziggyzag

Could you please upload the build.prop and settings.db. I have mapquest and in that my location is working. Also I have fakegps and if set my location google maps will take me to my location. It is only the default my location in google maps is not working.

iamthequinn

May 22, 2012
OK, for anyone suffering from continual freezes and reboots, if you have Facebook or Twitter apps installed (or anything which tries to create an account, bar your Google one, which is fine) then uninstall them and try again. I reapplied the ROM again on Wednesday evening and noticed that, with nothing installed, it was absolutely fine: no freezes, no reboots. I installed Google Chrome and Gmail apps and, again, all was fine (logged into the Google account). I installed a couple of small apps which link direct to the internet: no problems. I installed Facebook and the tablet bombed to the point where it was unusable (and nearly had me throwing it in the bin). I managed to get back to the desktop and uninstalled Facebook and the tablet settled down again and was back to normal. I had the same experience when I installed the Twitter app, so I've deleted them and use Tweetdeck instead (which I prefer, especially for Twitter feeds).

So I reckon there is a slight incompatibility with one of the services running on the tablet - I don't know which one yet, but I'm going to have a play. But it looks like, well for me and my tablet, that the rebooting/freezing is nothing more than a software issue. Will let you know...

mahgninnuc93

Jul 7, 2012
Howdy folks, I am really wanting to put this ROM on but for some reason the Android drivers will not install.
Have tried the drivers included in the LiveSuit 1.07, running windows 7 32bit. And nothing I try will get this thing to install the darn drivers. Any recommendations? Will Super One Click work to root this as I have used it before on Android phones.

pedz

Jul 13, 2012
@steev thanks for the effort for creating this rom
@redDeer thank you for the detailed instructions

I tried everything as the instructions said and successfully installed the rom,However as the other users posted I'm experiencing a frequent reboot on my tablet. I just read the whole thread but there's still no solution or maybe it's just me who cannot figure it out.

My goal is just to have google play store and maps and with that I'm already contented.I've also tried Ivan's scripts and (fixed google play issue) from their sites but still didn't solved my problem.I hope anyone can figure it out.thank you and more power.

tablet: coby Kyros mid 7042-4
machine: intel core i5

pedz

Jul 13, 2012
It seems nobody wants to help.I cannot blame you since your doing it for free and for the benefits of others. Only last thing I want to ask.

How do I back up the Original rom of my coby kyros mid 7042-4 ?.I bought 2 tablets and other one messed up I want to restore its original rom since I failed to figure out what's the problem.Thank you

nanobw

Jul 17, 2012
I did everything as explained and LiveSuite said "Update Sucess", but i'm stuck at the COBY screen, system didn't starts... Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Sorry for my english!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I did everything as explained and LiveSuite said "Update Sucess", but i'm stuck at the COBY screen, system didn't starts... Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Sorry for my english!

Once you use livesuite, and it messes up your tablet you are stuck with livesuite, you will need to continue to try livesuite, if you made a backup before using livesuite, you could build a livesuite image with your own backup. This is one of many downsides to using livesuite. Coby has made several versions of their tablet, while livesuite it limited to the only the dump it has, you can build your own, requires work of course.

easiest solution is to not use livesuite at all, use cw recovery, too late for that now, livesuite has put your tablet in a mess and only livesuite is going to be able to undo it, unless you could get cw recovery on your tablet, then you could fix your tablet. as for right now keep trying livesuite and hope it works.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
It seems nobody wants to help.I cannot blame you since your doing it for free and for the benefits of others. Only last thing I want to ask.

How do I back up the Original rom of my coby kyros mid 7042-4 ?.I bought 2 tablets and other one messed up I want to restore its original rom since I failed to figure out what's the problem.Thank you

to backup your tablet and restore your backups

read these threads

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...firmware-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices.html

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ot-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite.html

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...750-how-restore-your-7042-8042-9742-dump.html

nanobw

Jul 17, 2012
Once you use livesuite, and it messes up your tablet you are stuck with livesuite, you will need to continue to try livesuite, if you made a backup before using livesuite, you could build a livesuite image with your own backup. This is one of many downsides to using livesuite. Coby has made several versions of their tablet, while livesuite it limited to the only the dump it has, you can build your own, requires work of course.

easiest solution is to not use livesuite at all, use cw recovery, too late for that now, livesuite has put your tablet in a mess and only livesuite is going to be able to undo it, unless you could get cw recovery on your tablet, then you could fix your tablet. as for right now keep trying livesuite and hope it works.

Thanks vampirefo, I used livesuite to install the factory rom and it worked, how can I get cwm in my coby? Is there anyway to use cwm to install the rom posted in this thread? Thanks again!

bigfish79

Jun 15, 2012
I installed this rom with livesuit 1.07 and have not had any issues now for 2 months maybe a restart every week but that's it I don't have facebook or twitter crapps installed .I have it overclocked a tiny bit also with no-frills cpu tuner but even when I am running a game and browsers and jumping all over evernote and stuff still no frezzes or restarts .I am going to have to say It is software related . I've been following this thread for some time now and have not had any of these problems I love my cheap ass little 7 inch coby 7042_4 . You may also want to switch the mount points for sd card and ext sd card so apps save to the chip you put in . Very easy to do just edit the line of code in es file explorer . If anyone knows what's up with the time keeping mechs I would apreciate any info

Status
Not open for further replies.