[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042 - Rooted, Deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy316

Jun 1, 2012
I'm having a problem getting my 7042-4 into upgrade mode. I followed all the steps, and yet the battery charging screen still comes up when I start pressing the power button. I made sure the tablet was COMPLETELY off before I started the process, can anyone help with this?

EDIT: Never mind, I tried a few different USB ports and found one that worked.

Last edited:

TJKoury

Jun 2, 2012
I'm having a very basic problem: I can't seem to download the img from Google Docs. It takes me to a page that says 'The file exceeds the maximum size that we scan. Download anyway', but the 'Download anyway' link just references the page it's on (loop). Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
I'm having a very basic problem: I can't seem to download the img from Google Docs. It takes me to a page that says 'The file exceeds the maximum size that we scan. Download anyway', but the 'Download anyway' link just references the page it's on (loop). Any suggestions?
Funny, I have the same problem.
I can not download the custom ROM from google docs using (Windows 7, 64Bit, Internet Explorer)
So, I posted my problem on this forum many days ago. Many people read the problem - But NO ONE took the time to help me.
Lucky for me, I had a windows XP machine available so I managed to download the custom ROM with no problem.
---
I find that MOST of the people that view this forum are pretty selfish, they are concerned about answers to their problems but will not take the time to do a little research to help others. Then there are the ones that steal other peoples researched advice, then present it as their own (with no value added) and with no attribution.
Then you get the lazy advisors, who give advice without making an effort to test it first.
---
So, I did a little research on your problem and found an answer. Answer = Just try another browser. Chrome or Firefox or ???
--- I could not download Google docs with (Windows 7, 64Bit, Internet explorer ) - but could download with (Windows 7, 64Bit, Chrome or Firefox )
Again, if you have problems downloading from Google Docs, Try using another Browser. Chrome, Firefox, Etc
----
Note to Viewers: Stop being so selfish. Take the time to help others. AND Give credit when due.
Note to Viewers: CLICK THE THANK BUTTON: Click the Thank Button when you get helpful advice. ((don't beg for help, then give no thanks)) Rude!!!

Last edited:

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Wow, cause your helping. Have you ever used the app recommended by this site, it has no thank button. Besides, it the open source world there are no thanks, sometimes u get credit but that's about it. This works because A. Most developers like challenges or B they decided to share their solution to a common problem. Dig.

gadgetuk

Jun 3, 2012
Hi anyone from uk and brought this from maplins and has successfully rooted it..as was interested in buying one if so
TiA
Alan

LiquidFire187

Dec 5, 2011
Is it necessary to install this ROM if I just want Google Play installed on the 7042? Or can I just root and install play and google frameworks?

LiquidFire187

Dec 5, 2011
At least we know now the google search problem is related to google suggestions. As for the word prediction I have no idea, I had this problem on my mid7024 as well.
You can fix the Google search glitch by deleting the original "GoogleSearchBox.apk" in ES File Explorer (Under: /system/app) and replacing it with this QuickSearchBox.apk: QuickSearchBox.apk .

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Wow, I think we just solved a problem. I was thinking of trying that, ive been busy trying to find working apks for qik video and google+ with hangouts. It would be nice if things like browser, quick search, and various other apps were in play so they could update. @liquid , were did this apk come from? I havent tried it yet but it sounds like it should work. No liquid it is not necessary to install this rom. If you search 7042 rom dump request you should find in that thread on how to root, install frameworks, and its fingerprint. This rom isnt bad but it seems play gives you long outdated versions (I had to grab the latest google+ apk to get hangouts, and my broadcast is still a bit glitchy). If you do just install play on your own see if you can open up the market a little with different fingerprint.

Last edited:

LiquidFire187

Dec 5, 2011
Thanks for the response ziggyzig. I ended up using the custom rom anyways because I couldn't find an easier way to install play store and root (since this did it all at the same time, it made it easy!) As for the .apk, I uploaded it myself yesterday. I recently bought the "Polaroid PMID701i" so I just decided to see if switching the search box from the Polaroid to the Kyros would work, and sure enough it did. I do have to say that there is a minor difference in appearance but it's functional and works the same.

CFGMIKE

Jun 7, 2012
Hi, Tested and works well Thanks for all the effort!

Just some clarification on the process

Flashing instructions:
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, Keep holding this button till completed with steps 3,4 and 5)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Open Device Manager and take note of the new Unidentified Item that appears once you enter step 5, One you see this item appear you can release the buttons,
5. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog or the new Item in Device manager appears, You will need to double click on this item and manually install the drivers located in the Live Suite extract folder under USB.
*THIS WILL NOT WORK UNDER WINDOWS 64Bit
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

Thanks for the clarification, it worked great!

Last edited by a moderator:

rameshudupi

Jun 9, 2012
Hi All,
I have coby 7042 and would like to install custom ROM. Before I do that I need some clarifications.

1. I have dumped my stock firmware using the method described in the earlier post. How do I use this dump to revert to stock firmware in case I have problems with the custom ROM.
2. Is the custom ROM working fine? Because some people have reported rebooting issues. Does this problem still persists?
3. I learn that coby 7042 comes with two types of touch screen. How do I find out which touch screen is there in my tablet?
4. Which version of custom ROM is better?

I would like to thank all those guys who are thriving hard to make this 7042 a better tablet.

Thanks in advance

mattk205

Jun 13, 2012
Hello everyone,
I have the Coby Kyros 7042 and would like to root it. While the instructions on this thread are excellent, i wasn't able to find any information regarding the use of a mac to root this specific tablet.

*NOTE* I am new to this so hopefully when a say root i am using the right term. I would like to install the custom rom discussed in the first post.

Here is the computer I am using
Imac
OSX 10.7.2
intel core i5

Is this even possible???? Thank you for all your help

MK

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hello everyone,
I have the Coby Kyros 7042 and would like to root it. While the instructions on this thread are excellent, i wasn't able to find any information regarding the use of a mac to root this specific tablet.

*NOTE* I am new to this so hopefully when a say root i am using the right term. I would like to install the custom rom discussed in the first post.

Here is the computer I am using
Imac
OSX 10.7.2
intel core i5

Is this even possible???? Thank you for all your help

MK
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ot-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite.html

Status
Not open for further replies.