[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 9742 - rooted, deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejaylewlew

May 15, 2012
Ah, another problem... the skype that I use with the stock rom, when I use video calling, it boots the machine! With the Updated version from market, it don´t even logon.

other problems:
- the touchscreen is reacting much more slow.
- The memory usage is 100mb more (because gapps?)
- The version of video player is different from stock

-- Edited:

But if I put the build.prop from stock, the skype, memory and touch became normal.

Regards
Im confused I thought this was a perfectly stable stock rom with the market pre-installed.. are these slight annoyances the norm with this ROM or are you a part of the minority?

Can anyone comment on 9742's compatibility with google talk and the baked in voice chat, and also is there a possibility of their being two different display drivers per the problem Cuorerosso is having?

Im just trying to gather information before i buy the 9742

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
Hello everyone... I did the process and is everthing working fine, except with videos. For some reason, I can´t play anymore AVI and WMV files, who play nicely on the stock image. Any tips? Regards! SKristies
I was under the impression that the MID9742 Custom ROM was the original Stock Coby ROM with just the Market (Google Play Store) added and the basic Google framework need to support Google Play Store.

With all the little complaints about the problems being seen in the Custom ROM compared to the Stock ROM, I'm getting the feeling that the Stock ROM is basically the Original Coby ROM with slight modifications.

On the other hand, I get the impression that the Custom ROM is NOT a mear custimization of the STOCK ROM.
I think it tis a nearly identical (95%) ROM from a similar Allwinner a10 device. Or a mis-mash of the two.

If the Custom ROM was just a modification of the Coby Stock ROM, I dont think all these little problems would show up.

Just my opinion.

ALSO, I can not figure out why something as simple a Playing music samples tracks does not work in Google Play Store.
The function works fine on other devices, but not on the MID9742 Custom Rom.

Last edited:

deejaylewlew

May 15, 2012
Agree with everything just said.. I'm wondering if we could simplify this even more and go completely stock with Google framework and gapps.

deejaylewlew

May 15, 2012
I understand the functionality of everything else included but it seems there's a disconnect somewhere with the added features and stability..

chimama55

May 13, 2012
Maybe someone could make a video, because apparently I'm too dense to get this... I have the mid9742, I have downloaded the Live suite 1.0.7 I have the cfw_coby_9742_4.0.3_0.1.zip I followed the directions above, but I guess I cannot get the tablet into update mode using this method, unless I'm doing it wrong, but it seems pretty straight forward... I guess I can make a video of what I'm doing and maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong? any help would be appreciated thank you.

I am glad to hear about your experience. I am a bit shy to try it myslelf. I am hoping you get some positive feedback so I can go forward with mine as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
Personal help to install Custom ROM

@chimama55 (anyone else)

I will be happpy to hold your hand and walk you through the process of installing the custom ROM.
You need to set aside one (1) hour to complete the process.

Before we get started, download these two files to your PC computer desktop: (If you previously downloaded LiveSuit, Remove / Delete it first.)

Download: cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip and Download: LiveSuitPack_v1.07_usb_drivers.rar to your PC computer desktop.

Let me know when you (1 have downloaded the above files and (2 have an 1 hour.

sokar311

May 16, 2012
is there a custom rom for MID8042? cant seem to find any.... thanks in advance

Hi coolwaterz, i managed to mess up my 8042 /system files permissions and can't boot now, i assume you have a 8042, could you please dump de system images as requested in this post "http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3/38231-requesting-firmware-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices.html#post205970", and upload them somewhere, so they can start working on them and help save my device and also root, deodex, and include google apps so we can enjoy the market.

Thanks in advance.

Jscuda70

May 7, 2012
I've done two now mine and my wifes, I had to uninstall the previous device drivers that I had installed in the previous two days and reinstall the new one. The other tip is be patient give it a good solid 2-5 min before you decide that it isn't doing what it should be, some pcs maybe a little slower about this than others... hope that helps.

coolwaterz

May 15, 2012
Hi coolwaterz, i managed to mess up my 8042 /system files permissions and can't boot now, i assume you have a 8042, could you please dump de system images as requested in this post "http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3/38231-requesting-firmware-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices.html#post205970", and upload them somewhere, so they can start working on them and help save my device and also root, deodex, and include google apps so we can enjoy the market.

Thanks in advance.
sorry just got back from out of town.. i saw that someone gave you a dump of the stock already.. goodluck.. keep me/us posted pls..

NoViTeK001

May 19, 2012
I got it rooted to the custom ROM but it still crashes and Customer Service said they will Warranty it but I need to Unroot it back to the normal factory ROM. How would I go about doing that?

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
I got it rooted to the custom ROM but it still crashes and Customer Service said they will Warranty it but I need to Unroot it back to the normal factory ROM. How would I go about doing that?

Here is the rewstore image for MID9742. Follow same procedure witrh live suite.

From @Steev's post on page one

Firmware restore images for MID9742
coby_9742_4.0.3.zip (Thanks to RedDeer for providing the dump), Confirmed working by swalker5906
md5: 71a31c954e164a0bb7f19bbd1a143d7a

--------------------

Funny, how people are quick to complain BUUUUTTT always fail to provide complete information.
I've had the MID9742 custom ROM installed for over a week now with ZERO crashes.
Perhaps you should tell everyone which Apps you installed? Which apps were working just before the crash? What you changed? tried to change, Downloaded ETC.
Then others would know how to avoid the CRASHES you likely brought on yourself.

deejaylewlew

May 15, 2012
--------------------

Funny, how people are quick to complain BUUUUTTT always fail to provide complete information.
I've had the MID9742 custom ROM installed for over a week now with ZERO crashes.
Perhaps you should tell everyone which Apps you installed? Which apps were working just before the crash? What you changed? tried to change, Downloaded ETC.
Then others would know how to avoid the CRASHES you likely brought on yourself.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Thank you red deer for that post. I had a feeling that is what was happening because I've been flashing roms for years without issue.. this rom is so simplistic I just don't see where it could cause problems.. now I can order a 9742 in peace haha. Give my galaxy nexus a break when It arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.