[ROM][Feb. 15 2011] >> phiremod nook BETA 2 << Themed Froyo 2.2.1

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Im loving this rom except the you tube problem. im overclocked to 1.1ghz now. No problems yet with zeam. Android forum app force closes though. Please keep us up to date with new problems/fixes and general info/tips.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Just so everyone knows, if you try to go back to the stock 800 kernel that we used in 2.1, you will get a bootloop. I had to restore my nandroid backup to get 800 kernel back that came with phiremod. I am going to maybe try the froyo kernel again later, but I think it is causing flash and youtube problems, it did for me at least.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Perhaps true, however, on my nook, I followed the directions to rename the Cell Services (aka phone) apk's and when from it exhausting the battery while sleeping in roughly 12 to 15 hours to running for almost 3 days without charging. No other change or mods performed, so while "idle" they could nonetheless be causing it to wake up to determine nothing needs to be done.

I did notice while playing with the 0.6.8 nookie Froyo build that it contains numerous phone type functionality, so I'd guess little customizing has been done to make it nook specific beyond assuring it is in fact running - there are advantages to keeping it close to the general development releases until they can brew a stable release rom. Just my opinions.

Well, after reading over 25+ pages of posts at XDA and numerous other blogs, posts, articles, etc online and finding nothing that can confirm true performance changes... I don't think that those changes make a difference. What I have noticed is that a lot of people notice a major battery life extension after leaving their devices alone for a few days. It seems that the first few days of use (out of the box, or after a fresh install of any rom) that the device works a lot more getting itself settled into whatever; and then it levels off and runs great. Most of us don't notice this because we are changing so much so often. It's really hard for me to leave this thing alone for too long. I'm a sucker with 'tinkeritus'.

So now all the issues come out... jeez guys ;) Just kidding I had some of the same issues as above but they seemed to resolve themselves one by one. FC on Zeam went away, wasn't able to install Flash from market (media.app error or something like that) FC, SetCPU didn't hold first settings change and reverted to 300MHz. About the third reboot or so it just came to life and everything worked.

I am happy to say that my sideloaded U-verse apk now works as well. I guess 2.2 has the necesarry DRM to play the shows.

I also lament about the default back button not being at the bottom any more. I also preferred the old notifications location and pop-up to the drawer. It made use of those items much easier since it was all located in thumb position from a bottm grip.

If anybody wants to update the proceedures I don't think there was a reminder to bump SetCPU up after the flash (discovered when running 481 on quadrant after install).

And I'll finish with a question can somebody confirm that phiremod allows the Nook to see all of its RAM?

-JP

I reloaded SetCPU from my Titanium backup, so my profiles and settings were already there. I noticed that according to Elixir, my total RAM is 487.5 MB, but I don't remember what it reported on 2.1, so can't confirm nor deny this one.

Just so everyone knows, if you try to go back to the stock 800 kernel that we used in 2.1, you will get a bootloop. I had to restore my nandroid backup to get 800 kernel back that came with phiremod. I am going to maybe try the froyo kernel again later, but I think it is causing flash and youtube problems, it did for me at least.

I don't think it's the kernel Steve, I installed per my post earlier and like I said after, I flashed the 1.1 kernel and everything has worked fine for me. Maybe my device is the odd ball though.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I might have spoke too soon on the issues going away. It seems to go in spruts with FC on all sorts of things. Also after starting a flash video in Dolphin mini the sound continues to play after the browser is closed. Lots of media related force closes.

For anybody reading this thread and still debating I would definately say this thing is not prime time yet but works well enough if you don't mind some buggy behavior.

For the time being I am going to restore back to 2.1, with 1.01 and OC 1100MHz and see what Elixir reports on the RAM. I have a feeling that all of the RAM can be seen but only half can be used by 2.1. Still wondering if phiremod v2, 2.2 actually uses the full RAM or it is just being seen and partially used.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
2.1 RAM confirmation. Elixir sees 488.8 MB of RAM but shows 280MB (~57%) as free. Again, my understanding is that ~50% will always be free since 2.1 can't access more than 256MB of RAM.

2.2 is definitely snappier at 800MHz but I don't know if that is because of the access to additional RAM or the cumulative changes to 2.2.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Ok ill try an oc kernel again. FM you are using the 1.1omap one right?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I am OC'ing at 1.1 Steve and everything is snapping along...saw pretty good battery drain yesterday, but that is probably more to do with all the /wiping and /formatting as well as phiremod settling in...not to mention I didn't have the profiles set up in setcpu...

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
I am OC'ing at 1.1 Steve and everything is snapping along...saw pretty good battery drain yesterday, but that is probably more to do with all the /wiping and /formatting as well as phiremod settling in...not to mention I didn't have the profiles set up in setcpu...

where can i get a good profile config for my 1.1ghz kernel?

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
As of now every video player I have tried has the problem where it only plays the audio track and the only way to kill it is to reboot. Seriously considering going back to 2.1 :((((

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
New version just released. Over at xda. Same thread, but new rom is 2.3.2 based on cyanogen rom????? Can some brave soul take a look (rico, steve) and let us newer guys no what's up?

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nice find. Ok all you early testers jump in and let us toe dippers know how the 2.3.2 waters feel. :)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I wonder why the instructions are different now for the gingerbread rom? I wonder if it is possible to install this rom through my internal cwr instead of bootable recovery?

sent from my rooted nook color

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I might try it if I have time tonight, not sure. Gingerbread is barely stable on other devices so I might wait till I see some more posts on xda.

sent from my rooted nook color