[ROM][Feb. 15 2011] >> phiremod nook BETA 2 << Themed Froyo 2.2.1

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
*edit: removed root explorer instructions because I do not know if they are necessary

sent from my rooted nook color

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Im sorry maybe I wasn't clear or im misunderstanding. I was able to install the version you put the link up for but it still has the same problem (sound and no video, no way to terminate). I was also able to install it from the market with the same results. Should I uninstall it again and use the method u posted above to install?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Im sorry maybe I wasn't clear or im misunderstanding. I was able to install the version you put the link up for but it still has the same problem (sound and no video, no way to terminate). I was also able to install it from the market with the same results. Should I uninstall it again and use the method u posted above to install?

No, if you were able to install it do not use the method above. When you start a vid in YouTube start vertical that turn it sideways a couple times. See if picture finally pops on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Also a video might not play of it isn't formatted for mobile. Did you reboot at all?

Reyfam

Feb 9, 2011
Also a video might not play of it isn't formatted for mobile. Did you reboot at all?

I'm having the same issue with YouTube and I think you may be right with regard to the formating of the video. The file I was trying to play was an HD file. I tried everything to kill the audio playback but the only solution was to power off the device.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Zeam is force closing like crazy and youtube apps are hosed. Other than that, all is well this morning. :)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Zeam is force closing like crazy and youtube apps are hosed. Other than that, all is well this morning. :)

Youtube and Zeam aren't working for you? Is it the kernel maybe? My youtube works with 800 stock phiremod kernel.

Also Flash wasn't working for me on froyo 1ghz kernel.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I did a clean install as I described a few pages back, and this morning all is still well with mine.

OC to 1.1, running Zeam/Softkeys combo, youtube is working fine, flash is working fine... i should be happy right?

So far im not, and I think that what I miss is the (mostly) persistent bottom button bar from the stock rom. I hated the fact i couldn't get rid of or disable the Nook Softmenu "U" button, but havving a back and menu button there was great. Now i have to pull up my buttons for EVERYTHING. I think im spoiled... I might go back to my stock backup for awhile.

Also, anyone else notice faster battery usage with this ROM?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yea this Rom drains my battery faster. I miss the bottom bar too, but otherwise I like this rom. I gotta figure out why flash video wasn't working for me before though, gonna try OCing it again tonight.

rxlooterz

Feb 18, 2011
Also, anyone else notice faster battery usage with this ROM?

I don't know if anyone's already said this, but according to my Nook it's the cell radio that's using the extra power. If I go into Settings -> Device Info -> Battery Use from the main screen, it shows 88% of my battery used by standby cell power. 12% is used by Wi-Fi.

This is after leaving my phone on overnight, with Wi-Fi on. So you can see that during idle time the cell radio uses ~ 7.5 times as much power as Wi-Fi, without providing any kind of service. Consequently, is there even a cell radio in the nook color to consume power? I assume so, because battery life is definitely substandard.

If there is, any way to turn it off? The OS recommended I go into airplane mode to turn off all radio connections, but obviously this turns off ALL radio connections, including your internet.

P.S. Phiremod rocks. I've been lurking these forums for a good Froyo ROM for my NC and one finally came out! So big thank you to Phiremod for the ROM, and Sorry-I-Forget-Your-Name for the 1.1 ghz kernel. My NC is now 2-3x faster than stock version.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
When I get home I will mess with it. I think data can be turned off while leaving wifi on in the quick settings app or in power control. You are correct, it shouldn't be using cell standby. Thanks for the info!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I don't know if anyone's already said this, but according to my Nook it's the cell radio that's using the extra power. If I go into Settings -> Device Info -> Battery Use from the main screen, it shows 88% of my battery used by standby cell power. 12% is used by Wi-Fi.

This is after leaving my phone on overnight, with Wi-Fi on. So you can see that during idle time the cell radio uses ~ 7.5 times as much power as Wi-Fi, without providing any kind of service. Consequently, is there even a cell radio in the nook color to consume power? I assume so, because battery life is definitely substandard.

If there is, any way to turn it off? The OS recommended I go into airplane mode to turn off all radio connections, but obviously this turns off ALL radio connections, including your internet.

P.S. Phiremod rocks. I've been lurking these forums for a good Froyo ROM for my NC and one finally came out! So big thank you to Phiremod for the ROM, and Sorry-I-Forget-Your-Name for the 1.1 ghz kernel. My NC is now 2-3x faster than stock version.

Total Myth. Truth is, that the service is running yes, but it's not actually doing anything. It's been well documented that when you remove the cell stand-by service it is just replaced by another 'stand-by' like service. You are correct in saying that the NC has no cell antenna, so there's nothing it can actually do. Same as a pc, when it is idle and doing nothing, it shows that 99% of resources being used by 'IDLE', it's a language issue, not a battery issue.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Oh ok then. Maybe its the extra framework then? Idk. The battery life isn't too bad for me.

Vichon

Feb 8, 2011
Total Myth. Truth is, that the service is running yes, but it's not actually doing anything. It's been well documented that when you remove the cell stand-by service it is just replaced by another 'stand-by' like service. You are correct in saying that the NC has no cell antenna, so there's nothing it can actually do. Same as a pc, when it is idle and doing nothing, it shows that 99% of resources being used by 'IDLE', it's a language issue, not a battery issue.

Perhaps true, however, on my nook, I followed the directions to rename the Cell Services (aka phone) apk's and when from it exhausting the battery while sleeping in roughly 12 to 15 hours to running for almost 3 days without charging. No other change or mods performed, so while "idle" they could nonetheless be causing it to wake up to determine nothing needs to be done.

I did notice while playing with the 0.6.8 nookie Froyo build that it contains numerous phone type functionality, so I'd guess little customizing has been done to make it nook specific beyond assuring it is in fact running - there are advantages to keeping it close to the general development releases until they can brew a stable release rom. Just my opinions.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So now all the issues come out... jeez guys ;) Just kidding I had some of the same issues as above but they seemed to resolve themselves one by one. FC on Zeam went away, wasn't able to install Flash from market (media.app error or something like that) FC, SetCPU didn't hold first settings change and reverted to 300MHz. About the third reboot or so it just came to life and everything worked.

I am happy to say that my sideloaded U-verse apk now works as well. I guess 2.2 has the necesarry DRM to play the shows.

I also lament about the default back button not being at the bottom any more. I also preferred the old notifications location and pop-up to the drawer. It made use of those items much easier since it was all located in thumb position from a bottm grip.

If anybody wants to update the proceedures I don't think there was a reminder to bump SetCPU up after the flash (discovered when running 481 on quadrant after install).

And I'll finish with a question can somebody confirm that phiremod allows the Nook to see all of its RAM?

-JP

Last edited: