Shutting down during sleep

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Hey all

I had my tab plugged in and recharging in the other room. I know it was on, because I heard a couple of notifications go off. But when I returned to the fully charged tablet, I first unplugged the cord from the unit, then touched the power button. Nothing. I had to long hold the button and do a complete startup.

Anyone have that issue with randomly shutting down during sleep while charging? This is the second time that's happened.

sm4rtr3tard

Apr 29, 2011
Yea same thing happens here as well. But that's only after letting it sit for 3+ hours. I have since installed K9 mail on it and the issue has become a lot less frequent because of the constant email pulls. Just rooted it and now I am playing with power settings with that, might be a fix in there.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Im having this issue too. I suspect a software issue though because I cant seem to find anything in the settings.

If anyone finds a solution, please share it.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Never have seen this issue. I leave mine on the charger all night, and use it quite a bit.
I'm actually quite pleased with the runtime on this unit.

For those seeing this, are you sure there has been no power button press that could shut it down
that might have happened due to handling?

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I believe you have to hold the power button for 3 seconds for the shutdown window to pop up.
Something like that. You definitely need to hold the power button down. :)

Never have seen this issue. I leave mine on the charger all night, and use it quite a bit.
I'm actually quite pleased with the runtime on this unit.

For those seeing this, are you sure there has been no power button press that could shut it down
that might have happened due to handling?

I cant speak for others, but I leave my tablet charging on a table. Nothing, not even me, can accidentally come in contact with it when it is left there. So, that plus the fact that you must hold the power button to turn it off means that it is something other than accidental button pressing. :/
If it were to happen while in a backpack or something, then that would be a different matter.

BTW, I actually managed to catch the tablet automatically turning off last night! I didnt even have it on the charger either! (I should note too that in the past, this hasnt always happened while charging).

I had just unhooked it from my PC after transferring some files from it. I then put it to sleep by turning off the screen. I left it alone for a while, but had it right in front of me. Nothing touching it or anything. After a while, I noticed that the power button suddenly lit up and stayed lit for a couple of seconds before going dark. I then picked up the tablet and tried to toggle the screen on and guess what? It wouldnt turn on! Sure enough the thing shut down on me!
What was really odd though was that when I manually shut down the tablet, it usually vibrates before shutting down (and turning on). It didnt even do that when this happened. It is almost like the device just crashes or something. Very odd.

Last edited:

bladerunn3r

May 10, 2011
Plugged mine in last night to charge -- woke up this morning to find it had turned itself off. Not really bothered too much, but curious as to how and why.

freakaphex

Apr 28, 2011
Mine did that as well.. But it hasn't done it much after a few times.. Idk I used to think that maybe when its done charging it shuts off by it self so it doesn't overcharge? Idk thought like i said it did it a few times then just stopped

dcdariel

May 12, 2011
I just got my tablet in today and was wondering if we charge it with the power on or off? It just says to charge it for 4hrs in the quick guide but didn't know if it needed to stay powered off 1st for a full charge.

-Dariel

pentool

May 1, 2011
I just got my tablet in today and was wondering if we charge it with the power on or off? It just says to charge it for 4hrs in the quick guide but didn't know if it needed to stay powered off 1st for a full charge.
It doesn't matter. You can even use it right out of the box and charge it at the same time.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Plugged mine in last night to charge -- woke up this morning to find it had turned itself off. Not really bothered too much, but curious as to how and why.

Same here. Its just odd behavior, but it isnt like im losing anything by it shutting off.

dchamber

Jun 23, 2011
Have had my unit for about a week now and it has happened to me twice now. Tonight was the second time. I got home from work and it still had a 90% battery charge, but I did what I normally do anyway....and plugged it in and left it on the shelf. After supper I went to turn it on and it had powered itself down. I did notice that my router had stuck flashing lights and was need of a reboot. It seems to me that the first time this happened, I had the same symptoms with the router. I wonder if it has something to do with losing a wireless connection while its in sleep mode ?

Like others have mentioned its not a huge issue but I would find it quite annoying if I was using it for an alarm clock or something.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
This is a known problem, Acer support has seen it as well. I don't think your WIFI has anything to do with it.
Happens to me some times too.
If I remember to do it, when shutting down for the night I hold the power off switch till it shuts down, and then plug it in.
But as others have said, its not a big deal and maybe it gets fixed in the next upgrade.

v62cobra

May 1, 2011
Happens to me as well. Not a big deal really. But the A500 does just turn on sometimes when in sleep and turns completely off sometimes after sitting for awhile. This might be a Google related issue as my HTC Incredible will sometimes just come on when plugged in (doesn't shut down though).