Skype, new release as of August 4, 2011, V2.1.0.46

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Great! Thanks! I will try this myself. Perhaps the low quality video image you were experiencing is due to the low rating of our camera, being only .3 megapixels?

If this is a stable apk and contiunes to work well , we should spread the word as using Skype on the 7022 is a hot topic .

The quality isnt that bad its the colors that are not accurate

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

BrianRosentha

Aug 9, 2011
I tried both the MultiUpload link and the MegaUpload link; both resulted in "Application Not Installed".

My 7022 is not rooted.

-Brian

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
I tried both the MultiUpload link and the MegaUpload link; both resulted in "Application Not Installed".

-Brian

Did you uninstall the previous skype. If you did and it still gives you that issue then install zip signer 2 from market and sign it with key/mode set to platform. Hope this helps.

DuhDroid

Jul 12, 2011
I was able to download the Multiupload version of Skype and it now both sends and receives video. The quality of the sending video is not so good, I have blocks of color, shades of gray and pale green.

As stated..you must uninstall your current version of Skype first.

The other issue I have is that the video I am receiving shows in the small screen and my sending video shows large screen, it should be the other way around right?

Last edited:

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
I was able to download the Multiupload version of Skype and it now both sends and receives video. The quality of the sending video is not so good, I have blocks of color, shades of gray and pale green. As stated..you must unistall your current version of Skype first. The other issue I have is that the video I am receiving shows in the small screen and my sending video shows large screen, it should be the other way around right?

Exact same thing I see.

DuhDroid

Jul 12, 2011
Ok so far the best sending video color setting I have found is under:

Advanced Settings==> Camera Settings===>Back Camera===>Color Effect===> mono

This changes your sending video to black and white ...gets rid of the color blocks under all the other settings.

I still haven't figured out how to reverse the send/receive video that appears on my screen. My receiving video appears in the small window, and it should be in the large window.

DuhDroid

Jul 12, 2011
Update: This version of Skype does work on the 7022 running 2.3.3. The sending image has color distortion. Only works in landscape, which makes it more difficult to align the camera. The send image shows on the main screen and the receive image shows in the smaller screen window. So for what it is worth you can get Skype working on your tablet with this apk, its just not yet tweaked to work best with our tablets.

jjlange

Aug 19, 2011
Just tested it out on my 7022, same color issues as everyone else but it's not unusably bad in my opinion. You can swap the large and small pictures by double-tapping the smaller picture. I tried using orientation control to force the video call to portrait and it sort of worked, but the sending video stream was distorted and not rotated correctly.

russell_t

Jul 30, 2011
Downloaded & installed Skype from the MultiUpload link in post #13 and it's working on my 7022 as described previously in this thread. Thanks to DuhDroid for the tip on using mono setting with the camera; thanks also to jjlange for the tip on swapping video screens.

DuhDroid

Jul 12, 2011
Yeah thanks for the tip jjlange. I also checked for updates and there is a new one....says it will now allow portrait sending video which helps with our 7022. Also says he added switching the incoming and outgoing video screens, allowing it to show the incoming screen large instead of having to use the double click option jj mentioned above.

I dont' know if the color issue when sending video has been fixed or not as I have not yet downloaded this newer version. Its v11 if you guys want to check for updates on your device.

Here is the link for v11 : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1148708&page=127

Changes compared to v10:
~ Added "Enable portrait video-calling" option
~ Added "Prefer fullscreen incoming video" option

I have joined as an xda member so I can post the screen color issue with our send video. Will update if I hear anything

Last edited:

russell_t

Jul 30, 2011
Running v11 now, thanks DuhDroid. Couldn't get v11 to install over v10, so I uninstalled v10... v11 still wouldn't install, so I powered down the 7022, powered back up & v11 then installed. Tried color with the camera on the 7022 then switched back to mono setting due to the color issue. The switches added in the settings are a plus. Good to have 2-way video running on the 7022.

DuhDroid

Jul 12, 2011
Hey Russell glad you got it running on your tablet. Skype 2 way video calling is a hot topic on these forums. Good to know you have to do an unistall, I was under the impression if we already had his apk we could just update it.

My 7022's speaker is woefully lacking during Skype calls....I used earphones and that was much better when walking around....used small auxillary speakers when stationary. Both helped hearing/understanding the incoming caller.

I did post the color issue for the sending video. Will keep you guys updated if I hear anything .

russell_t

Jul 30, 2011
DuhDroid - I was indeed running his apk but still had to uninstall it before v11 would install. Might be a quirk relative to my particular device. From what I've read, some have had difficulty with the .rar file also. The audio levels (sent and received) in Skype are good on my 7022 - better than what I've experienced with several other audio-related apps that I've tried. Thanks for posting the color issue regarding sent video.

dbsimms63

Jun 9, 2011
I still say use Qik, works with both android and iphone and has both audio and video working on 7022 and 7024. It's funny because Skype bought Qik, and the Skype doesn't have video, but Qik does.

Last edited: