Smooth sailing with a new LePan TC970

rhitee93

Dec 7, 2011
Hi folks, another new owner here. One of my daughters has been wanting an iPad for a while, but I have been trying to convince her that she will be happier without anything “i” in her life.

I tripped over the LePan while browsing black Friday sales, and decided that it was the one to give her for Christmas. I received it a couple of days ago, and am really pleased so far.

Just for the sake of clarity and posterity, I have updated the firmware, installed Netflix, Pandora, and Winamp aps. Combine that with the Youtube, and navigator stuff that was already on it, and it will do everything she wants it to. So far, I have had zero problems on any either of the wireless networks I have attached to. All of the streaming aps work perfectly. Zero problems with Netflix or youtube which are things i have seen questions about on forums.

So far so good…

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Congrats and welcome to Android Tablets. I think many people here will agree with your sentiment regarding the TC970.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi rhitee93,

Welcome to the board, glad you could join us and share your experience so far with this tablet. I am new to hearing about the LePan but its got some awesome features and killer screen resolution. If you don't mind my asking what did you end up paying for it? Walmart has them now for $198 but they're out of stock at the moment. Glad it's working out well for you and I hope she loves the present. :D

rhitee93

Dec 7, 2011
Hi rhitee93,

Welcome to the board, glad you could join us and share your experience so far with this tablet. I am new to hearing about the LePan but its got some awesome features and killer screen resolution. If you don't mind my asking what did you end up paying for it? Walmart has them now for $198 but they're out of stock at the moment. Glad it's working out well for you and I hope she loves the present. :D

I did the Walmart site to store deal, and got it for $185. Not the lowes price I have heard, but still an amazing deal for what it is.

I had some hic-ups last night streaming Netflix over wireless. It would appear to loose the internet connection (for all apps) even though it reported a good wireless network signal strength. If I closed and reopened the wireless connection, it would run again for a few minutes and do the same thing. Moving closer to the wireless router seemed to help, but i am still trying to figure it out.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
I love the walmart site to store deal. :D I wish they had this one in stock, hubby is looking at it and we're reconsidering our tablet purchase to maybe get one of these. I am glad you were able to get Netflix working, but I wonder if the hiccups were related to their server being busy, or if it's relating to the device having wifi connectivity issues? Glad you posted about it, maybe someone else with one of these will have some advice on this subject. :D

mrclean

Dec 8, 2011
I Love my Le Pan or should I say Le Pan's. Got another at Wally World before they were all gone. Every site has been OOS this week. I just saw where Amazon has them back in stock for $219 with free shipping. They won't be there long, I promise. This tablet can not be touched for the price. My 2 cent's worth.

Gino

Dec 3, 2011
I have had my 970 for a little over a week and can't even begin to tell you how happy I am with it so far. It does everything I wanted it to do and some things I didn't even know I wanted. LUCKILY, I happened to get in on the 198 Amazon free shipping deal. Was kinda funny, thought about getting it for weeks, read what seems like a thousand reviews, finally went int amazon and pulled the trigger only to find out they were back ordered and out of stock. It came in and was shipped a couple of days later. Two days after I got it the price went up to $249 only to drop to $219 and I see tonight they are again 198. If you are thinking of a tablet, are not adverse to 2.2 OS, I would highly recommend this product. If a 66 year old guy can get it to do stuff, anyone can. Oh yeah, buy the screen protector at the same time you order it.....for now, just trust me on this.. LOL

j2wice

Dec 12, 2011
Just picked this up at Walmart.com this morning. Will be here tomorrow. It is a gift for the hubby for Christmas. Any advice on a case and any other things he will need for it that do not come in the box? Thanks in advance.

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
Gratz on the new toy. Mr Hubby is gonna love it, and youre gonna wanna steal it a lot. :)

There is a discussion on cases in another thread here in this subforum, I won't get started on it again...

Other than that - as stated above, you will want screen protectors...or a good sized handful...er... stack (box? case? pallet? traincar?) of LCD wet/dry wipes. (Seriously.) Also, a micro SD card of a decent size and class.

Then youre pretty much set.

Have fun