Viewsonic G Tab Owner's Thread

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Welcome, and we are here to help!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using the Android Tablet app!

rfanch

Apr 3, 2011
Can't say enogh good things about this unit.. and I am EXCITED!!!!!!!!!! I am PSYCHED!!!

I had a nook ordered.. for about 2 hours. then i saw the ad in the tigerdirect email.. $299??? 10" screen?? lol, wtf!! I am thinking to myself.. what's wrong with this viewsonic unit?? then I found the best deal arond.. on ebay, a nice fellow was selling a pre-root unit, pre-loaded with Vegan 5.1.1 - and that's the newest, most up to date, most l337 OS I could hope to get on my new viewsonic. right??

after enogh review i came to the realization.. it had a tough lanch the interface was rough around the edges, but the hardware gets a 10/10.......... and here's the most exciting part. I already own a Droid X... and I have EASY TETHER PRO installed.. My original plan to was to use this to tether to my Viewsonic with a usb cable but.. I sihould probably just get my X rooted, right?

how hard is it.. range of 1 to 10? keep in mind.. as a hobby, I modify xboxes. solder, bios, ,patches, and all...

what's scary the idea of bricking this $600 droid X.. that'd be a tough line to explain to my parents

BUT, the idea of using my X as a wireless hot spot.. to always have interrnet on my rooted V-G???? I don't think I can resist!!

I've already bought $100 worth of accessories including a level 10, 32gb patriot. I think I'm set. what to you guys say??? :)

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Can't say enogh good things about this unit.. and I am EXCITED!!!!!!!!!! I am PSYCHED!!!

I had a nook ordered.. for about 2 hours. then i saw the ad in the tigerdirect email.. $299??? 10" screen?? lol, wtf!! I am thinking to myself.. what's wrong with this viewsonic unit?? then I found the best deal arond.. on ebay, a nice fellow was selling a pre-root unit, pre-loaded with Vegan 5.1.1 - and that's the newest, most up to date, most l337 OS I could hope to get on my new viewsonic. right??

after enogh review i came to the realization.. it had a tough lanch the interface was rough around the edges, but the hardware gets a 10/10.......... and here's the most exciting part. I already own a Droid X... and I have EASY TETHER PRO installed.. My original plan to was to use this to tether to my Viewsonic with a usb cable but.. I sihould probably just get my X rooted, right?

how hard is it.. range of 1 to 10? keep in mind.. as a hobby, I modify xboxes. solder, bios, ,patches, and all...

what's scary the idea of bricking this $600 droid X.. that'd be a tough line to explain to my parents

BUT, the idea of using my X as a wireless hot spot.. to always have interrnet on my rooted V-G???? I don't think I can resist!!

I've already bought $100 worth of accessories including a level 10, 32gb patriot. I think I'm set. what to you guys say??? :)

The software to do it is pretty much ready to go. Install the apps and you are off. It is really is not any more difficult than a BIOS flash.
Can't really tell you one way or the other, this is all at your own choice (risk, peril..). It actually is pretty hard to Brick a phone that has been around as long as the Droid X, and is well understood by the devs. It is one thing with a newly released device that might have unknowns, but after a couple of months, most things are understood and addressed in the root process.

I would personally do it!

zepe63

Apr 4, 2011
Hello all.
It's like Christmas Eve here in GA. Couldn't resist the TigerDirect $299 deal. UPS says I will own this Tab tomorrow before 5! Shall I at least try TnT? or flash immediately? :)

Looking forward to spending a lot of time with you all.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I would at least try the stock to see what the improvements are for other ROMS.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Thanks Pete, any first use tips?

Best thing i can say is let it boot all the way, there are lots of things loading, esp on restarts after a flash, and sometimes you think it is dead when is just still booting. I have never had one take more than 5 minutes, but have had several times where a reboot DOES take that long and I screwed things up trying to reset or power it back when it is just starting.

Go slow, get a feel for it. Once it goes through that stuff, reboots are a breeze, so it is only after major device changes.

AndroidAlan

Apr 7, 2011
Hi my name is Alan and I just got my G tab last week and I really like it. however after reading the forums and playing around with my tablet I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to root it. I found the nifty instructions in the tech forum on how to do it. very cool. but this question is going to expose me as the complete noob that I am.

How do I change permissions on files and folders? A bit embasising seening as how I just got done taking a class where we worked on Linux servers.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Hi my name is Alan and I just got my G tab last week and I really like it. however after reading the forums and playing around with my tablet I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to root it. I found the nifty instructions in the tech forum on how to do it. very cool. but this question is going to expose me as the complete noob that I am.

How do I change permissions on files and folders? A bit embasising seening as how I just got done taking a class where we worked on Linux servers.

For the basic rooting you dont have to change any permissions. Only when you start to really tweak the device will you have to. Follow my HowTo guide and you'll all set. After you get a feel for the ROM of your choice try out some others to find the best one for you. Personally I hate the TnT ROMs. TnT G-Harmony v1.2 was the best but I hated the notification bar at the top, I prefered something to look more like my D2 and G-Harmony-Gingerbread v2.1 did just that.

Enjoy and ask lots of questions! There are pleanty of knowledgable people here.

droid_k

Mar 24, 2011
For the basic rooting you dont have to change any permissions. Only when you start to really tweak the device will you have to. Follow my HowTo guide and you'll all set. After you get a feel for the ROM of your choice try out some others to find the best one for you. Personally I hate the TnT ROMs. TnT G-Harmony v1.2 was the best but I hated the notification bar at the top, I prefered something to look more like my D2 and G-Harmony-Gingerbread v2.1 did just that.

Enjoy and ask lots of questions! There are pleanty of knowledgable people here.

Hi, I'm goint to install a ROM, but is there any specific reason why you don't like TnT ROMs? I want to install the most stable and fast ROM for my first root.

I'm reading your post most of the time and thanks for all.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Hi, I'm goint to install a ROM, but is there any specific reason why you don't like TnT ROMs? I want to install the most stable and fast ROM for my first root.

I'm reading your post most of the time and thanks for all.

I just don't like the feel of TnT. I like to be able to pull down my notification bar. I like to see my background running apps in the notification bar, not seing a ! that says 3 or w/e. I don't like seing the name of my launchers at the top of my screen all the time. Annoying things.

I'm running G-Harmony-Gingerbread v2.1 and its amazing. Still some things to fix but the ROM is only like 2 weeks old so I expect great things out of it.

But try out TnT Lite. It seems to be the most popular ROM to date. And if you don't like it, flash a new one. Its that simple.

Amdusias440

Mar 29, 2011
I just don't like the feel of TnT. I like to be able to pull down my notification bar. I like to see my background running apps in the notification bar, not seing a ! that says 3 or w/e. I don't like seing the name of my launchers at the top of my screen all the time. Annoying things.

I'm running G-Harmony-Gingerbread v2.1 and its amazing. Still some things to fix but the ROM is only like 2 weeks old so I expect great things out of it.

Well crap. I loved this ROM until I read that...yeah...I want to pull down my notification bar, or have linked icon in my tray that does it when I tap it. And the launcher thing at the top...I WAS going crazy looking for where to turn that off....man....you are so right....

**fist to palm**
Blast!

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
You an add me but I am totally lost with it so if anyone to help a tablet dummy please feel free to jump in
Thanking you all
Jaye

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
You an add me but I am totally lost with it so if anyone to help a tablet dummy please feel free to jump in
Thanking you all
Jaye

Jaye, Peter and I have made a ton of Sticky threads which will be where you need to start. Read up a bit and then post with any and all questions you have.