Working apps for Nook Color

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
i tried to install the new market, but when i put it in system/app i accidentally installed it and now i can't get neither the old or new one to show up at all, there's not even an icon in the app drawer. the vending.apk is in system app though. i also tried to run an install again and now it says app not installed

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
You need to be careful when pushing commands. I'm not going to be a lot of help on this issue since I decided to not install the market to my NC. I don't feel the google app and syncing is quite stable enough on the NC yet.

edit: tell you what, I'll try to do some research to help you out on the issue tomorrow.

Last edited:

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
i have everything working now, no new market though, just the old one. i just wiped everything and went back to stock 1.0.0 with no root, then rerooted and ran the autonooter 1.0.1. if you can find an easier way to replace a broken market let me know for sure. i'm glad i got that titanium backup working though so i could restore all my apps and settings or else my wife was gonna be heated lol...she's like.."blaaaah i wanna read this book and play angry birds, blaaah"

JackOnan

Nov 18, 2010
Just to be clear, you did the 1.0.1 update and then Auto-Nooter 2.12.25? If so, you should be able to install the new market by EXACTLY following the instructions here. I used autonooter 2.12.18 since 2.12.25 wasn't out yet and it worked fine.

ucpro

Dec 28, 2010
i accidentally ran the installer..as soon as i hit installed i said... "ooooooooooh crap" i had updated to 1.0.1 already and rooted with autonooter

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Awesome little drawing program; being a drafter, I'm happy it works so good on the NC.

dc916c3f.png

be516e29.png

Really cool video on this app.

com.sketchbookexpress.apk

Last edited by a moderator:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
i accidentally ran the installer..as soon as i hit installed i said... "ooooooooooh crap" i had updated to 1.0.1 already and rooted with autonooter
No worries. This is for sure: if you redo the process of unrooting and factory reset, you will have a device that is identical to when it came out of the box. From there, you can first update (again!) to 1.0.1, autonoot (is that a verb), and then tweak here, tweak there (thank god for Titanium) and you'll be 100% again. It's a very forgiving process.

I've also learned the 2nd and 3rd time you do it, it goes faster!

-Matt

TXNook

Jan 6, 2011
Just got NC . Rooted it with autonooter. If I understand correctly I should be able to download an app to my PC and then download it to my NC and it will install? If so where on the NC do I place the app file? If I'm totally off, how do I go about installing a non market app on my NC?
Thanks
Great Forum!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
You have a couple of options for getting apps, given the point you're at:

(1) Set up ADB (part of the Android Software Development Kit) so when your NookColor is connected by USB, you can use ADB to install the app (NookColor USB ADB - nookDevs)
(2) Use (1) to install a file manager like Astro, and then all you have to do is put the app (you downloaded on your PC) on the Nook's sdcard, and the Astro can install it (NookColor Enable App install from on-device installers - nookDevs)
(3) Get the Market working (follows from autonooter) and then browse apps and install straight from the Nook!

Since (3) is the most direct route and you've already rooted, I'd try to open the Market and see what happens. If you've set up your google account correctly (successsfully logged into Gmail and Youtube on the Nook) I think it should be working!

Let us know what happens.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Just got NC . Rooted it with autonooter. If I understand correctly I should be able to download an app to my PC and then download it to my NC and it will install? If so where on the NC do I place the app file? If I'm totally off, how do I go about installing a non market app on my NC?
Thanks
Great Forum!

If you used the autonooter to root, you should have a working android market. Open the market app on you NC, search, pick an app you want and install directly from there, no need to load apps from your pc to the NC.

Sideloading apps from pc to NC was for the first root method when the NC first came out. No longer necessary for the newer rooting method using the autonooter. Install all the apps you want from the market and enjoy.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Anyone know a good app for music that can be configured to browse using only album art? To look something like a picture gallery.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Search for cubed in the market and you will come up with 2, one is called "3" and the other is cube player extended that is the new beta version on "3" seems like what you are looking for

Excellent thanks so much, exactly what I'm looking for. I'm in search of apps I can use on a NC for a 10 year old with cerebral palsy. Wonder if cubed player will also play videos.