9742 Stock and Custom ROM

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
There is always a risk when modifying a tablet something could go wrong, and you could brick you tablet, you assume that risk, your are responsible if you break your tablet.

I have put together a stock rom and a custom rom for 9742, these rom's are based off of Traveller1701's dump.
The stock rom is as the name implies, the rom is stock not rooted.
Custom rom is based of my 8042 port of Mobiz_V.2 neither of these roms have been tested, they are both to be applied via cwm.

You need to install cwm and make a backup before trying either of these roms. You download one or both roms, your choice to your sdcard, computer or internal sdcard, if you download to computer you need to transfer to tablet, either sdcards should work.
These roms don't wipe /data or /cache, so to go completely stock, do a factory reset via cwm before applying stock rom. Same goes for custom rom if you want to start fresh, starting fresh is best but up to you.

These roms don't remove cwm recovery if you want to flash stock recovery, I can put one together, neither of these roms can be flashed via stock recovery though.

I don't have a 9742 to test, so I can't say how well they work or don't work, I have included Traveller1701's boot.img all the bottom of this thread, seeing these roms are made from his dump, his boot.img might perform the best with them, might not.

If something goes wrong, roms don't work as you want boot into recovery and restore you backup.

to get into recovery you can adb or download terminal from market.

via terminal

su

reboot-recovery

via adb

adb shell

su

reboot-recovery

cwm recovery

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...nt/41061-clockworkmod-mid9742.html#post218087

stock rom

MID9742_stock.zip

custom rom Update 7/28/13This is now built from my grandson's 9742

9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip

boot.img

9742_boot.zip

Update 7/28/13 I have fixed the video problem and camera problem with 9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip, at the time I posted this rom, I didn't have a 9742, I now have access to one, so the new 9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip is built from my grandson's 9742.

Note 9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip on first bootup takes a while to get up to speed, by default it scans internal and external sdcards for images. I recommend installing SuperSU from market, then install No-frills CPU Control.

adjust min to 912

change performance to fantasy.

If you get no touch screen reboot to recovery then flash 9742_modules.zip

Last edited:

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
Thanks so much!! Do you know if these will have the same issue as the one that Steev posted -- that one made my screen a mirror image of itself and made the camera not work? MID9742-8

Thanks again!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You shouldn't have a problem with screen or camera as my dump uses newer drivers, however there are no guarantees. You should however make sure you've done a dump of your device's ROM before tinkering.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks so much!! Do you know if these will have the same issue as the one that Steev posted -- that one made my screen a mirror image of itself and made the camera not work? MID9742-8

Thanks again!

The stock rom shouldn't have any problems , the custom rom may or may not, I don't have a 9742 to test, and fix any errors that may happen.

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
The stock rom shouldn't have any problems , the custom rom may or may not, I don't have a 9742 to test, and fix any errors that may happen.

I think I'll restore my Tablet with the stock rom to test its performance. The cwm made by steev works but I think that the tablet performance is very poor. Since the first thing I did when I got it was change it I don't know about the performance of an Stock MID9742.
Thanks Vampire!

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
Nice work vampirefo., thanks.
I'm waiting to see how others get on before taking the plunge so please update here once anybody has tried these images!

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
Thanks everyone! It'll probably be a few days before I can try this - so if anyone does in the meantime, please report back! I will do the same if I can figure out how to make this work. I'm in the same boat with Shini - slllloooooooowwwwwww performance. Hopefully one of these will do the trick. Thanks again!

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
Hey Vampirefo! Thanks so much again for all of your help. I've been told to ask you if you can post your build.prop <--I have no idea what this means, but I was told you would know. ? THANKS!!! :cool:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hey Vampirefo! Thanks so much again for all of your help. I've been told to ask you if you can post your build.prop <--I have no idea what this means, but I was told you would know. ? THANKS!!! :cool:
Yes I know what a build.prop is, both roms include a build.prop if you extract either of the roms, then look in system folder you will find the build.prop for that rom. These roms are zip files so extracting them shouldn't be a problem on any os.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
On the subject of the build.prop, I'm waiting to see the build.prop for the Lenovo S2109 tablet. It has the same form factor as the 9742 but, being Lenovo, includes Google Play by default.

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
Is this simply a matter of installing rom manager from the market?
Having Googled I expect not, so a little bit more exact info specific to the 9742 would be great.
I have the stock and custom roms on an sd card ready to go, I'm on the first rooted rom which has market.
Thanks again!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't know what rom manager is, you have to install cwm recovery first, that is the first link in my post. Once cwm recovery is installed you reboot into it, then use the menus of cwm recovery to backup your tablet. Then use cwm recovery menus to install zip from sdcard, that would be one of theses roms,
Once installed press back button then select reboot to system.

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
I think Patchirl and I might be in the same boat.

I can't quite figure out how to install the clockworkmod to get all of this going. I know I need to put a file called "update.zip" on my sd card and reboot my tablet, right? So do I change the name of Vampirefo's 9742_root_recovery.zip to update.zip? (Or am I way off here?)

Edit: Ok, I have terminal. It's granted Superuser. Now I need to figure out the path and what file for the clockwordmod, yes? (Baby steps!)

Last edited: