9742 Stock and Custom ROM

selectweb

Oct 18, 2013
help please guys, i have an coby mid9742 tried to root with livesuite before installing cwm just boots to a black screen?? can get into stock recovery mode ok and go through restore all says ok, can also re try livesuite with different images same result everytime, downloaded stock firmware but when i try to install from sd card get message E; signiture varification failed aborting??? how can i get cwm on?? thanks in advance

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You're screwed.

LiveSuite and ADB do not play nice together. It's why in the rooting instruction sticky I posted in red letters to not do what you attempted to do. In your case, all partitions in the internal memory save the recovery partition have been completely blanked out. Worse, they're most likely marked as "read only", meaning there's no way to access them. The black screen is what results when trying to boot to a partition with nothing on it.

Your options are these:
1. Return to the place where you bought it and exchange it for a new one, then follow the rooting instructions given in the link I provide in my signature.
2. Sell it on ebay.
3. Send it to me.

Coby is out of business so you have no warranty whatsoever.

selectweb

Oct 18, 2013
how much for repair if i send it to you??

You're screwed.

LiveSuite and ADB do not play nice together. It's why in the rooting instruction sticky I posted in red letters to not do what you attempted to do. In your case, all partitions in the internal memory save the recovery partition have been completely blanked out. Worse, they're most likely marked as "read only", meaning there's no way to access them. The black screen is what results when trying to boot to a partition with nothing on it.

Your options are these:
1. Return to the place where you bought it and exchange it for a new one, then follow the rooting instructions given in the link I provide in my signature.
2. Sell it on ebay.
3. Send it to me.

Coby is out of business so you have no warranty whatsoever.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You misunderstand. This is not repairable. I'd use this tablet as a source for replacement parts for both my 9742 and my roommate's 9742.

selectweb

Oct 18, 2013
is it not possible to get past the error message "E:signature verification failed" when installing updates or is it possible to use a different image file with live suite as this still works to re image the tablet??

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
You could try a different livesuit image, maybe you'll have luck. Cause it looks like it's your only shot now.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The signature verification error comes from trying to install custom ROMs using the stock recovery. The only ways to get past this are to either use a signed ROM, which doesn't exist, or install a custom recovery, which you cannot do with the tablet in this state. Now, you can search Google for LiveSuite images. You may even get lucky and get your tablet working. I don't believe you'll have much success but will be pleasantly surprised if I'm proved wrong.

selectweb

Oct 18, 2013
i did not mention after reboot or reset, tablet shows coby screen, then word android which is animated screen then goes black but tablet does not turn off??

cuamea

Oct 5, 2013
Hello guys! Im back here just to let you know that I FINALLY found the way to get my tablet back. It is a Coby Kyros Mid9742-8, You just need to instal CMW RECOVERY on your tablet, then from CMW make a factory/data reset, afther that install "permission.zip" from vampirefo, and then just install the zip rom that matches with your tablet (in my case was "MID9741-8_G333.zip" also from vampirefo and vuala! Tablet working perfect again

kevinthefixer

Developer
Feb 10, 2014
Installing CWM is the problem. I had good luck with adb under Linux, as per Vampirefo's instructions for the 9042. You don't have to install Linux, just run from a live CD if you wish. Puppy Linux as some easy tools for installing stuff like the android sdk on live CD, but I imagine you could do it on Ubuntu or Debian or any number of others.

Last edited:

redazteck

May 9, 2014
There is always a risk when modifying a tablet something could go wrong, and you could brick you tablet, you assume that risk, your are responsible if you break your tablet.

I have put together a stock rom and a custom rom for 9742, these rom's are based off of Traveller1701's dump.
The stock rom is as the name implies, the rom is stock not rooted.
Custom rom is based of my 8042 port of Mobiz_V.2 neither of these roms have been tested, they are both to be applied via cwm.

You need to install cwm and make a backup before trying either of these roms. You download one or both roms, your choice to your sdcard, computer or internal sdcard, if you download to computer you need to transfer to tablet, either sdcards should work.
These roms don't wipe /data or /cache, so to go completely stock, do a factory reset via cwm before applying stock rom. Same goes for custom rom if you want to start fresh, starting fresh is best but up to you.

These roms don't remove cwm recovery if you want to flash stock recovery, I can put one together, neither of these roms can be flashed via stock recovery though.

I don't have a 9742 to test, so I can't say how well they work or don't work, I have included Traveller1701's boot.img all the bottom of this thread, seeing these roms are made from his dump, his boot.img might perform the best with them, might not.

If something goes wrong, roms don't work as you want boot into recovery and restore you backup.

to get into recovery you can adb or download terminal from market.

via terminal

su

reboot-recovery

via adb

adb shell

su

reboot-recovery

cwm recovery

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...nt/41061-clockworkmod-mid9742.html#post218087

stock rom

MID9742_stock.zip

custom rom Update 7/28/13This is now built from my grandson's 9742

9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip

boot.img

9742_boot.zip

Update 7/28/13 I have fixed the video problem and camera problem with 9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip, at the time I posted this rom, I didn't have a 9742, I now have access to one, so the new 9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip is built from my grandson's 9742.

Note 9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip on first bootup takes a while to get up to speed, by default it scans internal and external sdcards for images. I recommend installing SuperSU from market, then install No-frills CPU Control.

adjust min to 912

change performance to fantasy.

If you get no touch screen reboot to recovery then flash 9742_modules.zip

thanks to other post that i have read here i made a back up with the .bat that you guys provided here, and i want to please ask you to make a rom for my device, i flashed it with the rom and it won't give me touch or wifi, here is the link to the dump, i really apreciate your help, kiroz9742_dump

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
What ROM are you referring to? Did you make your backup before you installed said ROM?

You're not providing sufficient information for us to really be able to help you, other than by making educated guesses. For example, you ask us to make you a ROM. Assuming your dump was made before installing a ROM, you can modify an existing custom ROM such as the Mobiz ROM by copying the libs folder from your dump into the Mobiz flashable zip, letting it overwrite all the files. When you install the customized Mobiz ROM, the touchscreen and WiFi features should work since they use the libs that come on the tablet.