A couple of dumb newbie questions

regnaD kciN

Jan 22, 2011
Well, actually, make that pre-newbie, as I have yet to become an Android tablet owner, but am strongly leaning in that direction, and would be considering the Archos 70 as one of the better choices for my price range. I only have a couple of questions:

1) I keep seeing instructions for how to hack it so you can use "Google Market" or "Android Marketplace." Am I correct in understanding that these are two names for the same thing? Or are they two different app stores?

2) Has anyone tried their 70 with the Kindle and/or Nook readers for Android? How does the display look -- are there any weirdnesses I should know about? I'm aware that the Nook Color has a higher-res display, but it seems to require a whole lot of hacking to turn into a full-fledged Android tablet. Being able to use any tablet as an e-reader would be important to me. If I bought a 70, would I always be wishing I'd gone with the Nook Color instead?

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
Well, actually, make that pre-newbie, as I have yet to become an Android tablet owner, but am strongly leaning in that direction, and would be considering the Archos 70 as one of the better choices for my price range. I only have a couple of questions:

1) I keep seeing instructions for how to hack it so you can use "Google Market" or "Android Marketplace." Am I correct in understanding that these are two names for the same thing? Or are they two different app stores?

2) Has anyone tried their 70 with the Kindle and/or Nook readers for Android? How does the display look -- are there any weirdnesses I should know about? I'm aware that the Nook Color has a higher-res display, but it seems to require a whole lot of hacking to turn into a full-fledged Android tablet. Being able to use any tablet as an e-reader would be important to me. If I bought a 70, would I always be wishing I'd gone with the Nook Color instead?

I'm really enjoying my Archos 70 Internet Tablet 70 250GB. I'm glad that I got the 250GB, and not the 8GB model. I've been reading many articles, using a variety of apps, and text is very clear. I think that Google Market and Android Marketplace are the same. There are other places to get apps for the Archos though, like AppBrain.

I mostly use Market though. I have 600 apps on my Archos 70 IT 250GB now! Still testing apps everyday to choose which ones I really need.

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
I've been trying to find a free eBook that I can test out, but have spent the past 20 minutes or longer, and cannot find a free eBook to read. I signed up for some website to read free eBooks, but the webpage disappeared, and I ended up back at Google.

I'll try later ... If anyone knows of a working website that has free eBooks I can try out, please post a link.

cuzza

Nov 9, 2010
I use Kindle on mine and it is fantastic. The catch is, before getting any free books you have to sign your account up for one click billing using the actual Amazon.com website. However, you do not need to give any payment details just a billing address, after that you can get free books

regnaD kciN

Jan 22, 2011
Thanks for your info. After reading it, I decided the 70 was for me, so I decided to see which stores around me carried it, so I could have the all-important chance to try it out before I bought it..

Oh, well. :(

Is it really as impossible to find as it seems?

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
I use Kindle on mine and it is fantastic. The catch is, before getting any free books you have to sign your account up for one click billing using the actual Amazon.com website. However, you do not need to give any payment details just a billing address, after that you can get free books

Ah ... that's the trick! Thanks. I'll give that a try ....

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
Thanks for your info. After reading it, I decided the 70 was for me, so I decided to see which stores around me carried it, so I could have the all-important chance to try it out before I bought it..

You just have to be patient ... I waited for 71 days before I finally received my Archos 70 Internet Tablet 250GB. This really cool gadget was well worth the wait!

heliav8r

Jan 29, 2011

Just bought mine off Ebay and found out that Archos seems to have the 250gig model back in stock on their site as of this morning. $349.00