Acer unleashes Android Tablet flood

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009

We've seen a flood of Android Tablets coming out lately (or announced) and Acer didn't want to be left in the cold. So they've announced a number of new Android Tablets today. While the market is already quite saturated, it's been saturated by cheap Chinese/Taiwanese tablets that leave a lot to be desired in fit and finish and polish. Finally however though, the big boys are getting in on the action and we are seeing tablets that really are worthy of your hard earned dollars.

We hope that Acer hears our cries for high quality tablets without contracts and at good pricing... Acer in the past has been known for just that so we have our fingers crossed. Samsung will hopefully be faced with enough competition and be forced to lower prices.

In the mean time, here's what we know about the Tablets courtesy of Engadget's Live Blog.

The largest tablet is going to be 10.1 inch and will run Android but they did not specify which exact version. I'm sure it will depend on when it actually hits the market. This tablet features a 1Ghz processor, 5 megapixel camera, HDMI and a resolution of 1280x800.

The next tablet is a 7 inch with the same resolution of 1280x800 and a 1.2Ghz Qualcomm Dual-Core processor. This seems to be a great size/performance ratio and hopefully the smaller screen will make the price a bit more palatable.

The last device is a 4.8" screen, 1.3 Megapixel front-facing camera, 8 Megapixel rear-facing camera, HD video recording capabilities and some other miscellaneous features.

For more information on these, check out the Android Tablet Forum and the Acer Android Tablet Forum there.

(Source: Engadget)

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
$Acer.jpg

Acer_Android-Tablet_01.jpg
Acer, as stated prior ,has announced three new tablets using the Android OS. Acer is one of the top brands for PCs gaining the number two share in October 2009. They will be offering two tablet models. The 10.1 inch in a Windows OS will be offered first in Feb 2011. The 7 and 10.1 inch Android versions will be offered in April 2011. It is guessed, the Android version will be Honeycomb or Gingerbread. The models are designed for an active social multimedia style begun with their Clear.fi multimedia sharing system.

The 7 inch will use the Acer interface standard v4.5. This UI would indicate a very standardized form factor and operating system. The device will feature an Qualcomm dual core processor with a full touch 16:10 aspect screen. The resolution will be 1280x800. This will add a whole new dimension to clarity on the screen. It will also increase precision potential on a capacitive touch. The images indicate a brushed metal shell. There will be a front facing HD video/still camera. It also has an HDMI interface for 720 output. There is only an indication of Wifi, but 3G may be an option.

The 10.1 inch will also use the new Acer interface standard The device will feature a Tegra II dual core processor with a full touch 16:10 aspect screen. The resolution will also be 1280x800. This will add a whole new dimension to clarity on the screen. It will also increase precision potential on a capacitive touch. The images indicate a brushed metal shell. There will be a front facing 4MegaPixel HD video/still camera as well as a rear facing camera. It also has an HDMI interface for 720 output.

Both are designed to record and play HD. Both are designed to utilize Dolby mobile technology. This is definitely an advantage over current tablets on the market.

In addition is a smaller 4.8 Phone/tablet which is more like the Archos 43. It will have a 1024x480 resolution and two cameras Front facing 1.3Mp and a back 8Mp camera for video and stills.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
ACER 95% systems purchased in 2009 - 2010. I have no issues with them. I hope the tablet like the netbook, latpop and desktop are well made too. Price too! :)

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
ACER 95% systems purchased in 2009 - 2010. I have no issues with them. I hope the tablet like the netbook, latpop and desktop are well made too. Price too! :)

Here's hoping these things are easily rooted. Whenever I see a custom UI whether it be Blur, Sense, TnT, Touchwiz, etc... I cringe. It is NEVER a good thing. Just give me plain ole vanilla Android and let me have my way with it.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Here's hoping these things are easily rooted. Whenever I see a custom UI whether it be Blur, Sense, TnT, Touchwiz, etc... I cringe. It is NEVER a good thing. Just give me plain ole vanilla Android and let me have my way with it.

I would agree with you. But I cringe when you look at all of the Root attempts which have ended with failure and calls to help on this forum. While there will be those who complain about Apple or Archos. They do have the update model down well. We need standardized custom UIs for the users who would be all thumbs doing a Flash or a Root. But we also need the advanced capability for individuals such as yourself or others.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I prefer my devices not be easily rooted. That means that my information isn't secure. Eventually people should just be happy with what they have.

Acer isn't going to ship for a while. That's for sure.

MartinFick

Nov 23, 2010
I prefer my devices not be easily rooted. That means that my information isn't secure. Eventually people should just be happy with what they have.

This simply isn't true. Rooting is unrelated to being hacked by others. Some phone like the original ADP (dev G1) came 'rooted'. In other words, it was designed to have new software installed on it by users. It is no way made that device less secure. In fact, since the source was available for the device and anyone could recompile it and reinstall it, they could fix bugs which the vendor may never fix. That equates to more secure, not less.

But I cringe when you look at all of the Root attempts which have ended with failure and calls to help on this forum. While there will be those who complain about Apple or Archos. They do have the update model down well.

Again, if these devices came ready to install new software on them be default, you wouldn't have so many bricked devices in the first place. How many bricked PCs do you see... none, because they don't attempt to make it difficult to put a new OS on them. The Open PC is the model you should be looking up to, not Apple.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Again, if these devices came ready to install new software on them be default, you wouldn't have so many bricked devices in the first place. How many bricked PCs do you see... none, because they don't attempt to make it difficult to put a new OS on them. The Open PC is the model you should be looking up to, not Apple.

Very valid point. It is a better analogy. And I agree the Dev G1 is pre-rooted. But, One of the major concerns that I currently have with any Tablet OS (iOS or Android) Security is not built in yet. And I do not mean the domino security lock. Android has a way to go to be considered secure. The rogue app sploit of last week is just one example. The idea of removing root was to maintain individual app security, but it is currently flawed. I can only hope good security models will be designed in by Honeycomb

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010

OEM need to have these tablets run fast out of the box. They then to cripple it. Let the CPU run a full speed ahead! Have a battery with 4,000mAh etc. ACER will have it's own shell running but like with the netbook, laptop or desktop I use my own stuff. Tweak the systems to run at the max speed. Take out the bloated software that doesn't need to be in there. I would like to sit at one of these market projection cycle phase to what needs to be scope out.