Add phone capabilities to your tablet (UPDATED 7-2-14 This Method Still Works!)

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Ok so i have been trying to figure out the issue and i think the issue is sense honeycomb doesn't have a built in dailer it doesn't recognize calls out so what we need to find is a dialer that works. I will keep looking but i need all of you to as well, thanks

UPDATE: I have found a short term solution for those with honeycomb tablets that want to make out going calls. its called nettalk (you can find it in the market or HERE), the reason its only a short term solution is because the number that shows up on the other end is some random foreign number not your google voice number. So i still need all of your guy's help to get this working smoothly on honeycomb and dont worry i wont stop working on it either.

nettalk is easy to setup just signup for a free account and then start calling, thats it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

micjay22

Aug 3, 2011
So that's why my tablet won't dial out, the dialer1 app won't play well with Honeycomb. After I installed Nettalk like what you have suggested, I can receive and dial out and now. Although the caller ID showed some weird number but I cannot complaint because it's free. Thanks again!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
So that's why my tablet won't dial out, the dialer1 app won't play well with Honeycomb. After I installed Nettalk like what you have suggested, I can receive and dial out and now. Although the caller ID showed some weird number but I cannot complaint because it's free. Thanks again!

That is correct, honeycomb doesn't play well with any native dialer that i have found. Im glad you like it and that it works. It's a bummer it shows a random number but that's the quickest fix I could find. Im still working on it though

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

King Conn

Apr 4, 2011
I have had some helth problems and am just getting back into it. I cant get an ipkall number. They say that I have a number, and I cant retreve it. Every email address I provide they say is wrong and every number I received email is the wrong address or password. I cant find a way to contact them.
Do you have any suggestions on how I can retreive the number?
Conn

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Android Tablet Forum

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
i do not, but after 30 days it should get out your old number if its not being used. Or you could just start over with a different email address an that should work too

smcgrother

Aug 28, 2011
I am a pathetic newb and this worked perfectly for me.
A couple of comments that might help future users:
1. csipsimple was much better to use than sipdroid
2. Google voice call free was WAY better than Google Voice callback, which I never got to work. This did mean that I had to change the setting to allow installation of non-market apps but that was not so bad.

And a couple of questions:
Do any/all of these apps need to be running in order for me to receive calls?
Can I uninstall google voice from my tablet...it appears that its only use was to create a local phone number and make a connection between my ikcall number and the local one. I did all this on my PC, and never even configured GV on my tab, so it seems that it is redundant?
Thanks again, the instructions were wonderful.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
there should be a link to the video in the original post. But i do have to say AnimaTechnica suggestion of just using GrooveIP looks pretty simple and good if you dont mind spending the 5 dollars for the app.
A BIG +1 to that!

Took me nearly zero effort, and a whoppin' $5 U.S., to have outgoing and incoming calls with my VTAB using Google Voice and GrooveIP. Voice quality is not bad, either.

Jim

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I am a pathetic newb and this worked perfectly for me.
A couple of comments that might help future users:
1. csipsimple was much better to use than sipdroid
2. Google voice call free was WAY better than Google Voice callback, which I never got to work. This did mean that I had to change the setting to allow installation of non-market apps but that was not so bad.

And a couple of questions:
Do any/all of these apps need to be running in order for me to receive calls?
Can I uninstall google voice from my tablet...it appears that its only use was to create a local phone number and make a connection between my ikcall number and the local one. I did all this on my PC, and never even configured GV on my tab, so it seems that it is redundant?
Thanks again, the instructions were wonderful.

your right the google voice app really doesnt do anything for calls but it is needed for texts if thats something your interested in and you will have to keep csipsimple on if you want to receive calls

smcgrother

Aug 28, 2011
Thanks for the rapid feedback. Very grateful for your assistance.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Android Tablet Forum

pjohn40001

Sep 19, 2011
theres a little problem with the grooveIP and google voice thing.

In order to get grooveIP to work as all that has been stated in the tread, you need a google voice phone number first.
sooo, if you have a tablet with no phone apps, and no phone number, then your screwed. in order to use that number google gives you, you need another phone number to ring into and verify first and formost.

the grooveIP thing would and will work if you have that alternate number, its a great quick fix, bypass on a cellphone, but not on a tablet.

In order to get the grooveIP thing to work on your tablet, you still need to go threw all the steps, and obtain those alternate numbers from ipkall and callcentric.

if not??? then how do you get that intinal first phone number it get that google voice number.

now, im running 3 tablets, honestly, it solely for the purpose of multiple ip's for craigslist (that whole flagged thing that happens to everybody who posts adds).

I have spent the better part of my internet time this summer searching for a solution to this little delema.

I have even found VoxOx, you get another phone number to recieve free call (forwarded into you existing number), but not one that gives you a number without any catch, (except here in this post/thread).

If i am wrong???? somebody please correct me and set me on the correct path.

and if you want easy text messaging download textplus from the market and register, works great, works quick, and you get a new exclusive number (its only for text no calls)

gduodu

Sep 15, 2011
New to the forum and it looks like the links to the apps #5, 6, 7 are broken. Are there any other options to download the required apps?
Thnx

mike85nelson

Aug 24, 2011
theres a little problem with the grooveIP and google voice thing.

In order to get grooveIP to work as all that has been stated in the tread, you need a google voice phone number first.
sooo, if you have a tablet with no phone apps, and no phone number, then your screwed. in order to use that number google gives you, you need another phone number to ring into and verify first and formost.

the grooveIP thing would and will work if you have that alternate number, its a great quick fix, bypass on a cellphone, but not on a tablet.

In order to get the grooveIP thing to work on your tablet, you still need to go threw all the steps, and obtain those alternate numbers from ipkall and callcentric.

if not??? then how do you get that intinal first phone number it get that google voice number.

now, im running 3 tablets, honestly, it solely for the purpose of multiple ip's for craigslist (that whole flagged thing that happens to everybody who posts adds).

I have spent the better part of my internet time this summer searching for a solution to this little delema.

I have even found VoxOx, you get another phone number to recieve free call (forwarded into you existing number), but not one that gives you a number without any catch, (except here in this post/thread).

If i am wrong???? somebody please correct me and set me on the correct path.

and if you want easy text messaging download textplus from the market and register, works great, works quick, and you get a new exclusive number (its only for text no calls)

You don't need another number. You just need to sign up for a google voice number and install groove ip. Then sign in with your account name and you can make and receive calls.

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

pjohn40001

Sep 19, 2011
yeah.......
thats not working.
i can log into grooveIP, but loggin in to google voice, not happening, stuck on the sign in screen, i guess its trying to log in???
not to sure

pjohn40001

Sep 19, 2011
noooooo, it doesnt. you need a google voice phone number (first), before grooveIP will work.
I have been all threw grooveIp's web page and help page, and did a moderate google search on this. everything i have come across clearly states that in order for grooveIP to work, you need a google voice phone number.
when you register for a google voice account (first you need a gmail account in order to get a google voice account), it takes you threw the process of you picking your number by first asking you for your area code and or town/state. after that it gives you a list of phone numbers you can choose, then after you have chosen your phone number, it asks you for a phone number for it to ring into.
and here lies the problem, if you do not enter a valid number to forward into, aka verify, then the registration process ends.
apparently, there is no way around this. maybe in the past it was different, but i have 4 cellphones and all of them have their own gmail account, google voice account, as well as a google voice phone number. in addition, they all have VoxOx phone numbers.
trust me, i cant find away around it, if i could?????? I wouldnt have all these cellphones.
if im wrong, and i belive im not, but i hope i am..
Please show me, or explain it step by step.
i did go to the link in the above post, yeah..... that post is word for word in like 90 different posts on 90 different sites, just with different advertising, with different authors....

im tending to believe that the only solution is to follow the steps that have been laid out in the very start of this, and after you have done all of that????? then the grooveIP is the short cut, i think it would bypass dialer one, and or csipsimple, and sipdroid.

feel free to correct me, anyone...... please