Add phone capabilities to your tablet (UPDATED 7-2-14 This Method Still Works!)

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Even with the recent changes to Google Voice this method still works!

tabletcalls.png

With the Galaxy tab already selling over 600,000 devices and being hacked to make phone calls (see Samsung Galaxy Tab hacked to make phone calls for T-Mobile tab and [HOW-TO] Flash your at&t Tab to make calls + 1900+850 WCDMA - UPDATED - xda-developers for att tab), I wanted to share the love to every other tablet owner so here are instructions on how to add phone capabilities to any tablet (with a mic of course) for absolutely FREE (no monthly charges, no minute overages). This will work over wifi, 4g, 3g, edge/2g.

What you will need:
1.Google Voice number- www.google.com/voice
2.Callcentric account- Callcentric IP Freedom rate plan
3.IPkall account- IPKall
4.Express talk VoIP soft phone- VoIP Phone Software - SIP VoIP Softphone for PC, Mac & Pocket PC THIS MUST BE DONE FROM A COMPUTER.
5.Sipdroid, Csipsimple app- both in market or Sipdroid-2.0.1.apk - sipdroid - Create PBX account linked to Google Voice, call option "always ask" - Project Hosting on Google Code / CSipSimple_0.00-15-13-tls.apk - csipsimple - CSipSimple dev build for 0.00-15-13 with TLS - Project Hosting on Google Code
6.A Google Voice call back app- like Voice+ found in the Play Store or gvfree.apk
7.Dialer one app- found in the Play Store or DialerOne.apk
8.Google voice- found in the Play Store or an older version can be downloaded here Google_Voice_0.3.0.apk I recommend the old version

To make and receive calls:
Step 1
- Download all the required apps and software.

Step 2- Sign up for Callcentric

Step 3- Sign up for IPkall , for sip number type in your callcentric number, for sip proxy type in in.callcentric.com the rest is self explanatory look at image below for a visual ( just a heads up when adding your ipkall number to Google voice you may get a message saying this number is on other Google voice accounts. This is no big deal just cancel your ipkall account and sign back up until you find a number that Google voice will let you use. So you might have to do this step a few times)

Step 4- install express talk, (THIS IS ONLY FOR COMPUTERS NOT ANDROID DEVICES) when you get to the screen that asks you if you have a sip number click yes and then on the next screen for name type in whatever you want, for server type callcentric.com , for sip number type in your callcentric number , for password type in your callcentric password. The other parts of the installation are pretty simple but if you need extra help there are pictures here ImageShack Album - 5 images.

Step 5- Register your number with Google voice for this use your IPkall number (not your callcentric number) name it ipkall to keep track of it, type in your number and for phone type select mobile deselect receive text to this phone then click save. Google voice will then pop up with a verification window with a two digit number click verify. Google voice will call your number and if you did the first 4 steps right it should ring to express talk on your computer, answer it and when it asks for the two numbers type them in. The nice lady will then tell you your Google voice is activated.

Step 6- Set up sipdroid or csipsimple. Go into settings and set up an account you can name it anything you want, for username use your callcentric number, for password use callcentric account password, for server/ proxy use callcentric.com I personally use csipsimple it just seems more user friendly and seems to work better but that’s just my opinion

Step 7- Set up Google Voice free call. For user name use the Google email that your Google voice number is activated with and password use the password for that account. Then for call back number type in your IPkall number and don’t forget the 1 in front. Then set it to use Google voice to make all calls (make sure to click apply) .

Step 8- Set up dialer one go into settings- advanced settings- dtmf and change it to 50

Step 9- test it. Use another phone to call your Google voice number, if you did everything right you should receive a call. Then try calling someone if you did it right gv free call will place a call to you, you answer it and then it will call the number you dialed, they will see your Google voice number. Make sure to close down express talk before you test.

To send and receive texts:
Set up the Google voice app, it will walk you through but when it gives you an option to pick numbers pick your IPkall number. If you just want a number to send and receive text messages on your tablet for free get a Google voice number and install the older GV version app it will let you set it up with your Google talk account (the new one won’t let you)

Known issues:
Through my test I have found these following issues, these are my experiences they might be different for you but just a heads up. Over wifi sipdroid doesn’t have any sound on the end of the number you call. So you will be able to hear them fine but they won’t be able to hear you. I fixed this issue on csipsimple by turning stun on but when I turn stun on in sipdroid it won’t let my service register. When adding your ipkall number to Google voice you may get a message saying this number is on other Google voice accounts. This is no big deal just cancel your ipkall account and sign back up until you find a number that Google voice will let you use. Sometimes you might have to restart your device to make sure everything works properly. If your ipkall number is inactive for 30 days it will be canceled so make sure to use it.

Why you might want this:
Following these steps will add a single number (Google voice number) for both calls and texts, so no reason for multiple apps or numbers to do the same thing. All of this is completely free so no monthly bills. Also using this will allow you to make and receive calls over wifi, 3g, or edge/2g. So you could even use this on your phone to make free calls and not worry about minutes.

Please please share your thoughts, questions, and findings in the comments here. I will continue updating this and tweaking it to make it smoother and easier to understand.

you can find a video for help here How to make and receive free calls and texts
ipkall1.png

to see original how to for gizmo5 and sipgate go here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...abilities-your-tablet-original.html#post16092

Last edited:

specmac

Oct 19, 2010
Thanks for posting this little "How to". Of note: Getting "step 2" (sip client) completed may be a serious obstacle. Gizmo5 is on hold at the moment (no new users) and Sipgate is limiting new users. Bottom line is getting this setup and working now is very difficult due to the unavaiblity of the SIP client account.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for posting this little "How to". Of note: Getting "step 2" (sip client) completed may be a serious obstacle. Gizmo5 is on hold at the moment (no new users) and Sipgate is limiting new users. Bottom line is getting this setup and working now is very difficult due to the unavaiblity of the SIP client account.

You are absolutely correct like I mentioned in one of the paragraphs gizmo5 and sipgate are both closed to new users but I was hoping getting the community involved would find us a solution. I tried sip sorcery combined with ipkall but sip sorcery is closed too. And there are sip accounts that you can pay a small fee but this way it is completely free and who doesn't like free

titoinpr

Oct 13, 2010
Wow!!! JUST last night i found out also dat i can make calls on my tablet (Haipad m701-r) STOCK... using "FRING". And i was surprised dat in no forums nobody posted on it. Today wen i come home to post , I find dis... Hope my comment helps..... Because Knowledge iz POWER !!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I have added some updates and edited some parts, Major update coming soon! I am surprised this hasn't got more attention. Judging off the threads in the forum a lot of people would like to have free calls and texts.

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010

Major update (11-29-10)! Everything is figured out and working smoothly, the instructions have been stream lined to make the set up easier for everyone hope you all enjoy. Specmac just wanted to share the great news that i found a work around for the gizmo5/sipgate issue!!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So i can text, and can get the phone to ring on my S7, but when I try to call out using google voice i get a message that says not registered on network. Can you help? what am I missing?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
So i can text, and can get the phone to ring on my S7, but when I try to call out using google voice i get a message that says not registered on network. Can you help? what am I missing?

Do you have google voice free call set up all the way? make sure you have the ipkalll number as the call back number and with the to scroll down selected always use then it apply settings and the app will tell you the settings are saved. Some times I forget to hit apply

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum App

r.c.

Dec 8, 2010
Actually got this workin on a Samsung Captivate phone. Downloading the dialer I guess was the only thing I didn't need to do.

Just wanted to say thanks.

And to anyone trying this. The ipkall took me about ten tries. Don't give up. Try a different area code each time otherwise when you re-register it just spits back out the same exact number that you cancelled.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Actually got this workin on a Samsung Captivate phone. Downloading the dialer I guess was the only thing I didn't need to do.

Just wanted to say thanks.

And to anyone trying this. The ipkall took me about ten tries. Don't give up. Try a different area code each time otherwise when you re-register it just spits back out the same exact number that you cancelled.

Im glad you got it working

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
Well I was able to get this working on my Ideos S7 last night with no problems. So now when I am connected to WiFi, either at home or tethered to my Droid X I now have a working FREE phone! Great working on finding this and sharing it with everyone! Not sure why more are not jumping on this.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks and i dont know why others arent jumping on it either but i am glad you got it working, and just so you know you can do the same thing on your droid x so that way just incase your out of minutes without your tablet around you will still have a free phone

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
I am interested in trying this on my viewsonic gtab using wifi - anyone try his on one yet?? I would love to know if this works on it!

DCman4ever

Nov 26, 2010
Thank you so much! I have this set up on my Archos 70it and I think it's such a cool feature. One question I have though is if this service is strictly voice calls or can video be added in? Sorry I'm so new to tablets and figuring this all out. Hope this wasn't too noob of me, lol.

moxiebee

Dec 28, 2010
You mentioned tethering you tablet to your droid to recieve WIFI when your not at a hot spot What are you using to do this, a dongle ( to do it wirelessly) or a cable? Which dongle or cable are you using and are you using sw like pdanet? That's what I'm using to tether my phone to my pc now. I'm about to receive a samsung s5pv210 tablet running 2.2 and would like to tether it for access to my 3g phone service. I am using a droid 1 phone. Also what sw would i use to root it? Thanks for the info.

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum App