After update wifi will not connect!

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
I'm on hold with tier 2 support right now...

They said they've fixed it by doing a factory reset. Not really happy to do that, but I'll take one for the team and let you guys know if it works...

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
Well, the factory reset worked. I sure wish there was a hotfix patch they could send out because it's gonna suck redownloading all my apps, not to mention having to start all over in angry birds! :)

ridge

Jul 7, 2011
i have the same problem !!!!!!!!!! i wonder how many more people cant connect to wi fi after this update ???????

ridge

Jul 7, 2011
U will have to do a factory reset a total pain but at least it works again !!!!!!!!!!1 and tut tut on acer for a total cock up

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well, the factory reset worked. I sure wish there was a hotfix patch they could send out because it's gonna suck redownloading all my apps, not to mention having to start all over in angry birds! :)

Similar things started happening with the Android powered Barnes and Noble Nook. The only way to truely delete a router was to forget it then power off and reboot.

So try that before a factory reset.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
but it connects.... at least
by the way, typing on my Acer in this forum is aeeehhm not so fun, my keybpard lags like crazy.

At the top of this page: tap Settings
Left side of next page in box titled My settings, under My account, select General Settings
Scroll down to Miscellaneous and select:

Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

Why our site admins don't set this as the default for this forum is beyond comprehension.

badbehavior

Jul 6, 2011
Ok guys I have a fix from Acer. Though you not gonna like it. Though it dose fix the issue of not picking up your WiFi connection. if you have a flash drive be prepared to tranfers some of your important stuff. After you do the fix everything works fine and the 3.1 update will still be there. Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How do I reset the hardware and software to factory defaults on the Acer Iconia Tab A500?

Ok I actually did this last night out of frustration. And it worked at first, the initial setup was fine it connected for the first time fine, but once the Tab went to sleep and I woke it up it started doing the loop all over again and will not connect. So has this factory reset worked for you? Also be careful when you reset since it is 3.1 some of my apps I paid for I cannot re-download because the market says they are incompatible!!!!!

tallott

Jun 11, 2011
I had the problem and have fixed by using the acer reset tool - a paper clip!

Good news is No loss of data or applications!

badbehavior

Jul 6, 2011
I had the problem and have fixed by using the acer reset tool - a paper clip!

Good news is No loss of data or applications!

Your lucky I had tried that to last night and it didnt work for me......

OK UPDATE: I did a factory reset last night like I mentioned before and it worked at first then went back to the loop. So for kicks I did the soft reset with a paper clip and now its working! Why or how or which one did the trick I do not know. If doing the one doesnt work try both! I hope this helps and I hope it stays fixed!!

dchamber

Jun 23, 2011
Well.....add another one to the list. Received the update and installed yesterday without any issues. Used it all last night connected to my router and it worked perfectly. At work this morning, it connected fine. At home tonight....it is just looping between "Obtaining IP Address" and "Scanning" and "Connecting".....over and over. I have tried forgetting connections and re-adding them. I have 3 routers and it won't connect to any of them.

What exactly is the paper clip reset doing? Do you use the paper clip while the device is on or off?

I am thinking I might try side-loading Wifi Manager to see if that helps.

Regardless....I'm certainly not impressed with any of this. I have struggled with a cheapo resistive screen 7 inch Craig tablet for a few months and realized you get what you pay for....so I decide to bite the bullet and spend some bucks to get a device that is supposed to perform, and from a manufacturer that is well known, but it would seem that this device too, is NOT ready for prime-time. I am really questioning more and more these days, whether Android OS's should all still be in Alpha versioning since every one I have used has been bug after bug....force-close after force close. Tablet and phones....they're all crap. I am getting fed up with Android.

dchamber

Jun 23, 2011
There is some additional info here: Wifi problem on 3.1 - xda-developers

It appears that a lot of folks who had been playing with custom roms and leaked versions of the official Acer 3.1 have already been introduced to this issue. I had a laugh when a couple people mentioned they couldn't wait for the official Acer release so this issue would be fixed. Good luck. Anyways....the thread talks about a temporary fix by manually deleting a dhcp lease file from the tablet...but the problem is that you have to have a rooted device to delete it. The fix apparently is to delete the file dhcpd-wlan0.lease under /data/misc/dhcp however, since my tablet is not rooted, the folder shows as empty so I can't delete the file.

Was hoping not to root this device as I don't feel comfortable about messing around with devices I paid almost $500 for. If you're spending that kind of money, it should simply work....plain and simple! <sigh>

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Try changing the name of your router (SSID).
It's a pain in the rear but it often works.

Before you do go into your router's configuration pages and reserve a specific ip for your tablet. Something a fer digits different than the highest ip in use.

You can also set the tablet up to use a static ip as long as you don't pick one already in use. The router will just work around the ip you usurp for your tablet.

Sooner or later the problem lease will expire. Might take days tho.

dchamber

Jun 23, 2011
OK. Held my breath and installed the apk from the link above to gain root access. Used ghost commander to delete the lease file and it has fixed the problem. Until Acer fixes this, I will repeatedly have to delete this file but at least there is a temporary fix.