After update wifi will not connect!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
OK. Held my breath and installed the apk from the link above to gain root access. Used ghost commander to delete the lease file and it has fixed the problem. Until Acer fixes this, I will repeatedly have to delete this file but at least there is a temporary fix.

Why do you say you will have to repeatedly delete this file?
Most of us don't have this problem, so maybe just deleting it once will be sufficient.

dchamber

Jun 23, 2011
Why do you say you will have to repeatedly delete this file?
Most of us don't have this problem, so maybe just deleting it once will be sufficient.

If you read the entire thread in the link I provided you will see that appears that this is not a simple lease issue but rather a bug that occurs when you start connecting to different routers. Once the issue occurs, you're OK until it happens again. The thread has many users who have experienced this same issue. I predict that this is going to be a huge issue for Iconia Tab users as more and more people receive the update and connect to multiple routers as they start visiting their friends houses....connect at work....internet cafes, etc. If you connect to a single router, you seem to be OK. Once it happens....you cannot connect to any wireless. I have been reading about owners of this device all over the world complaining about this issue since receiving the update yesterday.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
OK. Held my breath and installed the apk from the link above to gain root access. Used ghost commander to delete the lease file and it has fixed the problem. Until Acer fixes this, I will repeatedly have to delete this file but at least there is a temporary fix.

Where is the link above that you refer to?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
If you read the entire thread in the link I provided you will see that appears that this is not a simple lease issue but rather a bug that occurs when you start connecting to different routers. Once the issue occurs, you're OK until it happens again. The thread has many users who have experienced this same issue. I predict that this is going to be a huge issue for Iconia Tab users as more and more people receive the update and connect to multiple routers as they start visiting their friends houses....connect at work....internet cafes, etc. If you connect to a single router, you seem to be OK. Once it happens....you cannot connect to any wireless. I have been reading about owners of this device all over the world complaining about this issue since receiving the update yesterday.

But vastly more users connect at work, at home, at the coffee shop without any problems.
It's not a universal problem and it probably has something to do with an improper shutdown or crash.

drbahsha

Jul 27, 2010
i change my Acer iconia 500
operating system from android to windows....it works fine already....

dchamber

Jun 23, 2011
Me too. Both were WPA2.

I was having no problem with 2 routers at home, both using WPA2. It seemed to happen after I connected at work....however, from what I read, no one can pinpoint the exact cause, but it relates back somehow to the DHCP lease file I referred earlier in a post. Once it's deleted, the wifi returns to normal. If you've upgraded to 3.1, you are at risk of it happening to you too. Cross your fingers.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

I got 3.1 the other day and its working fine. But the only thing I've connected is my home Wi Fi and it was and is working fine. But I'm going on a trip soon and will be in a few airports and at friends' home in Europe and certainly will want to connect to other Wi Fi networks. It seems if there is a problem it happens once you connect to another network and has to do with getting an IP address.

I think I saw two workarounds. The first is to delete a file that has to do with the DHCP lease, but I believe that requires a rooted unit and I definitely do NOT want to root my unit.

The other workaround I thought I saw is that you can set a static IP as long as you can make the router use that IP. When I'm at my friends' house I could do that but I don't see where in the Acer you can set a static IP. Is this something that need the Acer to be rooted also, or can a non-rooted unit do it. If so can someone please outline the steps to set a static IP on the Acer.

There's one more temp solution which is to do a reset using the little hole by the USB ports. Seemingly that will keep 3.1 but will wipe out all other user installed apps. This is used as a last resort.

If there are any other workarounds, please post them.

Supposedly Acer halted 3.1 and is working on some fixes but who knows when that will be ready!! NOT very good testing if 3.1 was released with this bug!!!

Thanks,
Gerry

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Look, don't get all excited about this wifi issue until you actually run into it. Most of us are NOT SEEING THIS PROBLEM. This problem seems to affect a small percentage of tablets and no one has pinned down the exact cause. Even when it does occur simply moving to another WIFI Router will often let you connect.

Go down to Starbucks or McDonalds or Barnes and Noble or a friends house and try it before your trip to see if you want to root your tablet
or not.

You can always download the root to have it around. Read the whole thread.
Avoid Static IPs unless its your only way out, and even then it only applies on a single network, not something you can realistically use for traveling.

In short, don't do ANY of these things till you know you need to.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
. . .
Avoid Static IPs unless its your only way out, and even then it only applies on a single network, not something you can realistically use for traveling.

In short, don't do ANY of these things till you know you need to.

I hear you, and I am going to try some other Wi Fi spots! But I still would like to know if you can set a static IP on a non-rooted unit. If it can be done could you please outline the steps to do it.

Thanks,
Gerry

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You create a Wifi network with SSID and the security method required, then tap save.
Then long press that network SSID and select Modify settings.

salarri

Jul 8, 2011
After two days of trying everything to fix the problem to connect my acer iconia a 500 to wifi ,and talk with everybody at technical Acer support personal finally i found by myself how to fix it and it is very simple and the best it REALLY WORKS , and here it is : when your tablet it's trying to connect to wifi signal an fall into a loop pinch the reset button an reset the tablet , when the tablet restart , it connects direct to the wifi source and the problem is solve , buala !!!!!!!!!! very simple , and it is all .

Z920

Jul 4, 2011
I've had mine for a couple days, it updated as soon as I turned it on. Today was the first time I connected to another network, and it worked; however, when I got home. BAM! It got stuck in the loop we're discussing here. Since I haven't really added anything significant (no paid apps, etc) I just did a factory reset. It connects fine... but I have two questions:

First, if I connect to another network tomorrow is it going to throw this same fit when I get home? Anyone had this problem, or does factory reset "solve" it?

Second, my tablet says it backs everything up automatically via my Google account... well, how to I get access to it. The little "automatic restore" button is checked....but it looks like I have to re-download and install everything then it will just update to what I previously had the setting set to? Anyway, I'm too tired to try it tonight. wish me luck tomorrow.

Z920

ps. good thing I still have 87 days left on my Costco return policy....