After update wifi will not connect!

Dart

May 2, 2011
Since my wi-fi is dead, anyone know how to install a backup app without wi-fi? I do not want to do a reset until I can back up my A500.
Thanks in advance!
Dart

rnmendoza

May 22, 2011
Since my wi-fi is dead, anyone know how to install a backup app without wi-fi? I do not want to do a reset until I can back up my A500.
Thanks in advance!
Dart

Dart i did a backup on my laptop using the usb cable as if it was a flash drive then i did a factory reset. so far my problem is connecting back to market

sandstorm

Jul 12, 2011
Add me to the list of people who had the wifi looping problem.

My wife bought me the A500 as a gift, and I only had used it for about four days after I opened it. It worked great the first couple days I used it at home (except for the power button that took multiple presses to get the table to power on, but I won't get into that here). However, I travel a lot for work and am in a different hotel every night. It worked perfect on the hotel wireless for the first night, but then it starting doing the loop the next morning. I didn't associate it with the update until I found this thread via a Google search. At first, I thought maybe it was just a weak signal. Then I still couldn't connect the next night at a different hotel, in our office where I've had no issues before, and when I returned home. This is when I realized I had a problem. I figured it was a hardware problem, so I decided to take it back to Best Buy.

Unfortunately, I was past the 14 day return period, but I was able to talk them into taking it back and giving me a store credit so I could eventually get something else. Such a shame. I really liked the A500 and was happy when I got it. Unfortunately, without wifi it became useless. I wasn't going to keep the A500 just to read my Kindle books and play Let's golf.

lded21

Jul 2, 2011
3.2wont be to us for a bit we were almost the last to get 3.1 and PLEASE OMG PLEASE don't rush this one too Acer - make sure at least your basic stuff works first..WIFI and Contacts

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

nas711

Jul 7, 2011
Hey Guys, same problems here. The other night my wifi router went dead (power out i think). After it came back on, my a500 suddenly woke up from its screen sleep and tried to connect back to it. It just kept scanning. Then the dreaded reboot loop came into effect everytime it reconnected. What I had to do is after it quickly rebooted, I jumped into settings and "forgot" the wifi profile so it couldnt connect to anything. It stopped rebooting and stayed stable. I set up a wifi hotstop on my htc phone and connected to that....no rebooting. Turned off wifi hotstop and reconnected back to home wifi router (holding breath)....connected perfectly. Has now been working for a day with no troubles.

Acer definately botched the wifi client in the 3.1 update, however it seems to be like a timed thing or your wifi profile gets corrupted...i can't seem to figure it out. Because my a500 worked perfectly for like a week on 3.1 then just suddenly every time it connected to wifi, it went back to the android loading screen in a continuous loop untill i raced towards the factory reset and blanked it all.

I suggest if you havent, delete all your wifi profiles, turn off your tablet, turn it on again and recreate your wifi profile and try to connect. It worked for me....but for how long that will be the question. I am blaming bad coding in the wifi department soley for this...the tablet works so great.

Btw: Could this be a specific botched update since alot of people arent experiencing this....post your serial numbers who are effected (could be a pattern). Acer_A500_4.010.23_COM_GEN 1 - 2.6.36.3

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi Everyone,

First off, I do have 3.1 but to date I have only been hooked up to my home Wi Fi. Also, now that some of the novelty has worn off I don't use it that much so when I'm done with it I power it down rather than put it to sleep. So far (fingers crossed) it has always connected to my home Wi Fi. But, according to some of the posts even that stops working sometimes. Plus I'm leaving on a several week trip soon and will be trying to connect to several airports and other Wi Fi networks. So I'm concerned that I'll end up with the same problem. Maybe not but maybe so!

So I went to the Acer support site and submitted a question. I was up front with them that so far I do not have the problem but will be traveling and am concerned that I will have the same problem. I also said that others contacted tech support and were told to do a factory reset to correct the problem but that wipes out user info and apps. I stated that was NOT an acceptable solution! And lastly I said:

"When is Acer going to send out an update to properly correct this problem. And,
frankly, shame on Acer for sending out the 3.1 update with such a major bug in
it. According to the forums I believe the Acer A500 is the ONLY Honeycomb
tablet with this problem after the 3.1 update!!"

My question was assigned an incident number and I'm supposed to get an answer within 24 hours. Now I know all I'm going to get is either a canned message or the same advise of doing the factory reset. BUT WE ALL NEED TO SEND QUESTIONS LIKE THIS to Acer so they get their asses in gear and correct this problem.

I very much like the Acer and think its a real good product. But I am quickly becoming very disappointed in their support. They were last to the game to send out the 3.1 update and we all were saying that's ok as long as they get it right. But they DIDN'T get it right, and in fact introduced a fairly major bug, that I think no other Honeycomb tablet with 3.1 has.

So again I urge everyone to send a question to Acer to express their disappointment in their support and the Wi Fi bug they introduced in 3.1

Gerry

P. S. I know for sure that I registered my A500 from within its own environment but when I went to their web site to submit my question it said I had not registered my product! So I had to do the full registration stuff to be able to submit my question. So what did my registering on the A500 itself accomplish?

lded21

Jul 2, 2011
I need an aspirin, talking with Acer yet again, took 20 min with level 1 to just get the answer that yes Acer knows about this and are working on a fix.........omfg more props for outsources...........

KiwiNessie

May 9, 2011
Rooting was the only way I was able to fix the wifi problem and I had to do factory reset as well. Got an update message this morning which surprised me. Wonder if it was the wifi loop fix?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Got an update message this morning which surprised me. Wonder if it was the wifi loop fix?

Oh come on Kiwi, don't hold us in suspense!
What version did the update message install, and what version were you running prior??

KiwiNessie

May 9, 2011
I had 3.1...obviously but I can't remember the build number. My update brought me to build 4.010.40 and I won't know until I get home from work if everything is behaving as I connect wifi at home and at work.

rnmendoza

May 22, 2011
hey guys i went to an open wifi network at a family's house, same thing happened it remembered the open wifi network but it would not connect. i already did a factory reset two days ago, so i did the paper clip trick while it was looping (reset next to usb port), and it connected right away and it kept all my settings and as i am posting this i am back using my home network so far so good...

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
I got in contact with Acer Level 2 support this morning, they've confirmed that there is a mini-patch being released to resolve a WIFI connectivity issue on units.

jeepndiva

Jul 12, 2011
BINGO! The problem is the WPA. I changed my Optimus S to OPEN and I connected instantly. Now, who knows how we report this and how to get a fix ASAP?

So what did you do exactly? I am using a Belkin N300 and having the exact problem.

jeepndiva

Jul 12, 2011
What exactly did you do? I have a Belkin N300 and having the same problem, only if I unplug the router, wait, plug back in I can connect up.