After update wifi will not connect!

mark57

Jun 29, 2011
I had the same problem, and using the reset button (with a handy paperclip) twice worked. I'm stuffed if I know what on earth could be wrong that resetting twice does something that resetting once doesn't, but hey whatever works...

Big black mark for android\acer...

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

me2010

May 5, 2011
Screw Acer, wifi broken after HC3.1 update, no problems before update , they tell me to reset tablet and loose 2 months work, like HELL ACER

Heres how to fix this prob without reset, cause prob will come back after reset evetually.

The best way to approach this IMHO is to use IconiaRoot 1.3 and just use ConnectBot to get a local terminal. From there, just:

Code:
$ su
 # cd /data/misc/dhcp
 # rm dhcpcd-wlan0.lease

I actually wrote a script to do this that I can run in connectbot. I don't know what Acer's plan is to fix this, but they're gonna have a serious problem pushing OTA updates to a bunch of folks who don't know the difference between DHCP and static addressing, much less how to set it up.

Originally Posted by rpdillon over at XDA

rkka93

May 5, 2011
The reset button is a hardware reset and not the factory reset. At least that's what a tech support person told me a few months ago when I called with a problem.

Anyway to this issue, I was working fine after receiving the update until this morning at work. I can't get on the work network even though I have gone back and forth from my network to work network without an issue for about a week. I've tried the hardware reset a number of times, but no luck. Guess I'll keep trying because I don't want to factory reset if I don't have too or eventually I could root it.

badbehavior

Jul 6, 2011
Well I'm back on the list of not working. After doing the factory reset, then the soft reset it stopped having the problem for a few days, then this morning its back to being unable to connect to any network. Very frustrating, no way in hell am I going to factory reset again lose all of my changes again! And doing the soft paper clip reset has not worked so far. I am starting to regret not waiting for the Asus Tansformer!

Dart

May 2, 2011
Contacted Acer support and they stated that they are researching the issue and that the current solution was a hard reset. No, I don't think so. I think the solution is to sell this on ebay and purchase a Toshiba Thrive!

johnblaze322

May 27, 2011
Using the reset button by the usb (which u DO NOT lose any of your stuff) twice while the wifi is in the loop worked for me... so far.. lets see how long this last for

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Using the reset button by the usb (which u DO NOT lose any of your stuff) twice while the wifi is in the loop worked for me... so far.. lets see how long this last for

This is almost certainly a timing issue.
According to the posts on XDA the dhcp leases file is written with the wrong permissions, and can't be erased by that part of the OS responsible for updating the lease.

The reset probably catches this file in a state of unlock by the boot loader, and as such it just happens to work if you just happen to get the timing right. So any hints you could supply about how fast or slow you have to be when doing the second reset would be helpful.

Obviously its not wrong for everyone, or even MOST people, or else these forums would be flooded as would the mainstream press. But as far as I know this has never gotten beyond a murmur on a few forums by a small number (less than a couple hundred I'd guess).

This suggests there are subtle differences in setup that might affect this. In order to help us all pin this down it would be helpful if everyone posted the following IF (AND ONLY IF) you have this problem.

What Settings are you using:

• ABOUT TABLET / Build Number:
  • WIRELESS & NETWORKS / WiFi Disconnect Policy:
  • WIRELESS & NETWORKS / Security on last SUCCESSFUL connect:
  • WIRELESS & NETWORKS / Security on last FAILED connect:

lded21

Jul 2, 2011
This only works temporarily......would call Acer but their solution is to send it in or factory reset...they have no techs there

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
I called Acer today to question the hardware (using the paperclip, not factory defaults) reset used twice on the unit to see if that fixes the WIFI issues, they've confirmed that it does resolve the issue.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I called Acer today to question the hardware (using the paperclip, not factory defaults) reset used twice on the unit to see if that fixes the WIFI issues, they've confirmed that it does resolve the issue.

Well who are you going to believe, some random tech support jocky or people on this very thread that have experience with this and they find it is at best a temporary fix?

Android 3.2 is already pushing out to other tablets so there is hope.

Area49th

Jul 11, 2011
This is annoying, I really want to beleive there is a fix other than factory reset. I have done hardware reset 10 times via paperclip and it still keeps scanning endlessly. Don't drive me to Apple...I already returned a Playbook for lack of apps, now this. Does anyone know if Xoom or Galaxy are better?

Frustrated...

jscammell

Jul 7, 2011
I just thought that I'd put this bit of info out there: For those of us users that are having this issue and are not exactly joyful at losing all of our apps/data/whateva...then I'd suggest using Titanium Backup to take care of all of your data and apps before you try the software reset, which coincidentally temporarily has resolved this issue twice now on my own tablet. If it happens again, I'm going to root it and try the deletion of the dhcp lease file and see if that resolution provides temporary relief or if it's better. I'll let the forum know what happens. It shouldn't be too long since I use my tablet at home, and work, and over at friend's on all of the mentioned wi-fi networks.

Dart

May 2, 2011
It has been about five days now without wi-fi. No email. No calendar updates. No maps. No navigation. No news!!!! No nothing but Angry Birds!!!

• ABOUT TABLET / Build Number: Acer_A500_4.0010.08_com.GEN2
  • WIRELESS & NETWORKS / WiFi Disconnect Policy: Never
  • WIRELESS & NETWORKS / Security on last SUCCESSFUL connect: WPA/WPA2 PSK
  • WIRELESS & NETWORKS / Security on last FAILED connect: Same

I can't even sell a wi-fi dead tablet on ebay. Very disappointing.
-Dart

This is almost certainly a timing issue.
According to the posts on XDA the dhcp leases file is written with the wrong permissions, and can't be erased by that part of the OS responsible for updating the lease.

The reset probably catches this file in a state of unlock by the boot loader, and as such it just happens to work if you just happen to get the timing right. So any hints you could supply about how fast or slow you have to be when doing the second reset would be helpful.

Obviously its not wrong for everyone, or even MOST people, or else these forums would be flooded as would the mainstream press. But as far as I know this has never gotten beyond a murmur on a few forums by a small number (less than a couple hundred I'd guess).

This suggests there are subtle differences in setup that might affect this. In order to help us all pin this down it would be helpful if everyone posted the following IF (AND ONLY IF) you have this problem.

What Settings are you using:

• ABOUT TABLET / Build Number:
  • WIRELESS & NETWORKS / WiFi Disconnect Policy:
  • WIRELESS & NETWORKS / Security on last SUCCESSFUL connect:
  • WIRELESS & NETWORKS / Security on last FAILED connect:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
This is annoying, I really want to beleive there is a fix other than factory reset. I have done hardware reset 10 times via paperclip and it still keeps scanning endlessly. Don't drive me to Apple...I already returned a Playbook for lack of apps, now this. Does anyone know if Xoom or Galaxy are better?

Frustrated...

Since you mention Apple.....

The one thing that always gets them moving when they are dragging their feet on a problem
is mainstream press coverage. You need to get a story planted in one of the major Android blog
sites that the mainstream press press can pick up, or someone with some connections needs
to leak this information to the press directly.