After update wifi will not connect!

tvdinner

Jun 24, 2011
I found a solution on this board. Doing a soft reset - the reset button next to the USB port - a couple of times seems to fix the issue.

I'm pretty pissed though that Acer let an update out tha completely hosed the tablet!!! I will be gving Accer a piece of my mind!

That does not work always. On XDA they are talking about removing a certain root file. I am still trying to figure out how to do this without wifi to get programs on tablet, etc

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I found a solution on this board. Doing a soft reset - the reset button next to the USB port - a couple of times seems to fix the issue.

I'm pretty pissed though that Acer let an update out tha completely hosed the tablet!!! I will be gving Accer a piece of my mind!

First, it didn't completely hose the tablet. It only affected a small number of users. Second, the fix is already out. You can download load it and side load it. Had you done that instead of blasting Acer you would be using your tablet right now.

This problem is very rare.

Also weren't you one of the ones whining here a couple weeks ago About how acer was dragging it's feet with this update? This is why companies take their time in beta tests.

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
Well put Ice, here's the information I just posted regarding WIFI issues when upgraded to 3.1:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/19280-wifi-after-3-1-update.html

You can download a wireless patch from the us.acer.com (http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers) or acer.ca (Download) site. It is a zip file so you'll have to download it on another computer and put it on a micro-SD card looking at the instructions that come with it. Here is the direct link to the file to download, if you want to save a few clicks: http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Patch/Patch/Patch_Acer_1.0_A31H_A.zip?acerid=634466676518377383&Step1=Tablet&Step2=ICONIA TAB&Step3=A500&OS=a07&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_4

Last edited:

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
I had only been connected to my home Wi Fi but was concerned that I may have problems with other networks. The day before I left my Acer said it had a system update for me. I debated whether I should put it in or not just in case it made things worse. I decided to put it in and I was able to connect at two different airports along with connecting at my friends' house where i'm staying in France. So I guess tha update did solve the Wi Fi problem.

Gerry

hunted

Jul 4, 2011
I called Acer today to question the hardware (using the paperclip, not factory defaults) reset used twice on the unit to see if that fixes the WIFI issues, they've confirmed that it does resolve the issue.

Well the wife and I both have an Acer A500 hers did not have this happen, yet mine did! Hers hasn't left the house and connected to a diffrent WiFi connection. Mine I have connected all over the city and yesterday I went to pick her up and it started to do this. After frustration and frustration, i knew calling Acer would be miserable and being on hold for time and time and time. So what i done was the temp fix and do a paperclip reset and it had to be done twice before it worked. Again the machines we use and the updates they get are made by a human. So with that being said understand that mistakes will be made humans are not perfect and problems will happen. Anyway this has worked for know will be connecting to various routers in time will update if anything changes. And the update is great granted it has some issues......like all software it is written by humans so expect problems. Don't do like my boss done once before and drop kick it and loose everything LMAO........

jasper994

Jul 14, 2011
Go to the Acer Support Website from a pc or laptop. There's now a patch. You'll have to select your device and select that you are using 3.1 since the site still defaults to 3.0. Once there, select the patch tab and download the update and unzip it. There's instructions inside (pdf) on how to install the update. For what it's worth, you can if you have file manager software on your tab you can also use a USB flash drive to put the update file in the right directory. Best of luck to you.

daxxruckus

Jul 25, 2011
Just installed that update. Does not work. Still cannot connect to anything. Damn this thing - I have had wifi issues ever since the update! About to return this thing to Costco.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Just installed that update. Does not work. Still cannot connect to anything. Damn this thing - I have had wifi issues ever since the update! About to return this thing to Costco.

The OTA update or the patch? Which did you install?
What version of Android are you running and what was the build number?
And whit kind of router are you using?

Have you rebooted the tablet since you installed what ever it was you installed?

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
I installed two things. There's patch a called "Patch_Acer_1.0_A31H_A", found in Acer Support here: Download (follow the menu to Tablet/Iconia TAB/A500).

In the patch instructions, it suggests next installing the new OS "Acer_A500_4.010.10_COM_GEN2" (for USA). That OS was automatically "pushed" to my tablet a few days ago, but didn't install correctly, so I did it manually from the Settings menu.

First, about the Patch: I installed that, and immediately my tablet went from "looping-disabled wifi" to working wifi, as if I'd pressed the reset button. Later that same day, I tried to connect at work, and it was BROKEN again. I reset. Came home, and it was broken AGAIN at home. The Patch made things worse?!

Next, I installed the above OS (this is the 2nd OS I've installed this month, the first one being the one that broke wifi). It's all been fine for just over 3 days. But wifi would previously break every few days, so I can't say if it's truly fixed or not. I also don't know if you need the patch after installing the new OS, but FWIW, the install info indicates that you install the patch first, then the new OS. I suspect that you must install both, regardless.

Last edited:

tesab613

Jul 21, 2011
Hello all. I have a similar problem, but not exactly. I bought my A500 with. HC3.1 already installed. After purchasing, I realized that I could not connect my iPhone 3gs to the tablet, which is what I wanted to do from the start. i wasn't afraid to root the tablet since i have very successfully jail broke my phone to use it with my laptop. i searched and found the site to download the root file and everything went great. I had no problems at all with my connections, but still could not figure out how to c9onnect my phone to the tablet. after a couple of weeks, I found the way to do it and downloaded the files needed and followed the instructions. worked like a charm. THEN on the 21st, i was notified that there was an update. i downloaded and installed it, and only then realized that I had not unrooted the tablet first. of course the update wiped out my phone connection. i tried to re-install the root and it would not work. i finally found another root file and it worked. The problem i have now is just whaat everyone described with the loop. i even went so far as to do the factory reset and not root the tablet. Nothing has helped. I continually have to either turn the airplane mode off and on or do the soft reset. it has become very frustrating. i have downloaded the patch, but since I'm at work right now, I can't inst5all it until I can buy another card.

Anyway, the reason I am wrting this long winded story, is because though my problem is very similar, I started out with a full version 3.1, not an update.

At this time my build is 4.010.011_com_gen2

I'm really hoping that the patch works.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

5_star

Jun 11, 2011
OK, to add my story. I had the wifi issue which I lived with for a week or two as I was too busy to try to fix it. Then I read this thread and used the paperclip soft reset which worked first time (lucky me). As soon as I was connected to the internet a new version of Honeycomb was available so I downloaded and installed and all seems to be fine now (about 5 days later). I'd share the comments earlier ITT that it's a bit shoddy of Acer to put out a release with such a major bug but at least it seems to now have been resolved.

I also remain underwhelmed by the wifi reception capeability which is very limited with my tablet versus my laptops.

Good luck to those of you with the ongoing problems.

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
Ok, I'm confused here. I have an A500 with build Acer_A500_4.010.11_COM_GEN2. As have scores others, judging by the text above, my wifi just started looping like everyone's above after a week of running fine with the OTA update. So, seeing these stories, I followed everyone's advice and downloaded the patch from Acer's website and, believe it or not, I did RTFM and it says right in there for the USA (which is where I am) it applies to
Affected OS versions:Acer_A500_4.010.07_COM_GEN2Acer_A500_4.010.08_COM_GEN2​
Acer_A500_4.010.09_COM_GEN2

Of which, mine clearly is not one. Well, I tried it anyway, hoping it would fix the problem and I get a little Android guy with an exclamation mark on his belly. I tried searching this site for references to 4.010.11 but it won't allow that so has anyone run into this little wrinkle?

Thanks in advance.

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
Never mind. After playing with the paper clip and rebooting 4 times I finally managed to get it connected to wifi. For some odd reason I went into system and checked for OTA updates and there was one waiting for me (maybe they read my post above) :) and it downloaded and applied and now I'm at build Acer_A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2 and connected to wifi. I will say this, though, I had my tablet sitting on my desk, idle for about 2 hours and when I came back it wasn't connected to the internet. I tried to turn off and on the wifi and it wouldn't respond. I shut down my A500, brought it back up and it connected just fine so the saga may be continuing. Good luck to all.