Android Tablet with GPS Function ( and possibility 3G add-on)

Bigwidge

Oct 11, 2011
I am looking for a tablet for my local fire department that would serve solely as a large GPS unit. It would be placed in the fire engine and used to show where the truck is in correlation with upcoming streets as well as th route to a specific address (Google maps would work fine). Just looking for a reasonable tablet that has GPS, and I understand that the maps would need to be pre-downloaded prior. The GPS can be internal or external, doesnt matter. Also I would like it to have the option avaliable for 3G add-on, just in case we would like to expand the uses and be able to access the internet while on the road.

Bigwidge

Oct 11, 2011
Large would be best, but cost is also a factor. But 10 inch would be key, making it easier to see when responding to calls.

Edit: I would probably go with anything under $400

Last edited:

Bigwidge

Oct 11, 2011
I was thinking of this Tablet--
7 inch Dual Camera Android 2.3 OS Tablet PC Built in 3G GPS and Bluetooth Module Samsung A8 PV210 1Ghz 512RAM Haipad M7X - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
It has 3G and GPS built in, and I figure I dont have to activate the 3G until and if we decide to do so. Although I am not sure what service provider the 3G falls under, and I want to make sure it is a reliable carrier before spending the money. Does anyone know how well it works in America (Eastern Coast)?

Also I am still open ideas for a 10" tablet, which really would be ideal. Although I havent came across any large tablets such as this that dont cost $600 and require a data plan straight of the bat.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
well any tablet that has wifi SHOULD be able to work, so WiFi may not be required. Google Maps now fully supports caching your maps, so you could load the app while you have wifi connectivity, and then pan around to your coverage area, that would cache the maps locally for when you are on the road.

Bigwidge

Oct 11, 2011
But I also need built in GPS, to show me where the vehicle is while on the road. We wouldn't have WiFi connectivity when on the road so yes I can cache the maps but I need GPS to show where I am on the map. Basically, I NEED GPS and WiFi on the system with 3G as sort of the icing on the cake. Could you recommend a tablet?

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
7 inch Dual Camera Android 2.3 OS Tablet PC Built in 3G GPS and Bluetooth Module Samsung A8 PV210 1Ghz 512RAM Haipad M7X - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
It has 3G and GPS built in, and I figure I dont have to activate the 3G until and if we decide to do so. Although I am not sure what service provider the 3G falls under, and I want to make sure it is a reliable carrier before spending the money. Does anyone know how well it works in America (Eastern Coast)?

Also I am still open ideas for a 10" tablet, which really would be ideal. Although I havent came across any large tablets such as this that dont cost $600 and require a data plan straight of the bat.

Hi Bigwidge,

Yes, it's an all-in-one tablet PC with built-in GPS & 3G. and the 3G service provider is WCDMA(WCDMA standard are based on GSM technology.), it's universal...
And you can rest assured to place your order in our site, we offer an one-year FREE WARRANTY for our products, and lots of our customers are from America.

Welcome! wish you enjoy your online shopping!:)

Bigwidge

Oct 11, 2011
So how exactly would I activate the 3G? And thanks for the input, this tablet seems like a great budget tablet that would perform the tasks I need quite nicely.

Ibrahimigo

Sep 15, 2011

Seems an attractive tablet...
And, just like someone said, you'd better to choose a supplier who's active on forums...
Good luck!

Bigwidge

Oct 11, 2011
Can somebody please give me a crash course on how exactly the WCDMA works? Just about how one goes about setting up such a thing once the tablet is purchased.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
So how exactly would I activate the 3G? And thanks for the input, this tablet seems like a great budget tablet that would perform the tasks I need quite nicely.

You're welcome!:)

It's very easy for you to activate the 3G: Turn on the tablet pc, move your finger from right to left on the screen, then,you can see many status bars, such as WIFI, Bluetooth, 3G, and so on.
Click 3G here,and wait for a moment,then there will be a trapezoidal picture of signal ,which shows that you can make calls.

Any other questions pls feel free to contact us via email: [email protected]

Best Regards.

Bigwidge

Oct 11, 2011
I didnt mean like that, I meant for the 3G service. Is the 3G service free or something?

skoster

Apr 1, 2011
Whoa, before this miscommunication gets any worse let me chime in. SpeMall is telling you how to turn on the 3G function on the tablet, not how to subscribe to 3G service. You need to find out which carrier near you offers a 3G data plan which will work with this tablet.