Android v4.0.3 does not work with external USB keyboard

feathered2

Jun 22, 2012
It seems that we are in the same boat.
Hitting our heads against the wall with this tablet and its USB Ports.

USB 2.0 Port *1 <- This comment must apply only to this port, if it ever works: (Support 3G USB-Dongle Internet Card, USB Drive, USB Mouse, USB Keyboard)

MiniUSB 1.0 Port *1 <- has a 'Slave' architecture!!! The keyboard is also 'slave', and the slave to slave configuration produces nothing, zippo, nada...

In order for the slave keyboard to work on the MiniUsb, the MiniUSB needs to be 'On the Go', or, maybe there is a proprietary cable that changes the configuration on the MiniUSB 1.0?

The question is, where to find a proprietary miniUSB male to USB 2.0 female adapter or cable to try out a keyboard, if it is not included with the tablet?

Today, I already purchased and returned a non proprietary miniUSB male to USB 2.0 adapter, and a cable, bought at different stores.

Have posted at a couple of places to see if Ubuntu is an option, and will not make the tablet a mini-chopping board to use in the kitchen!!

Enjoy:
So papa, how do you like the iPad we got you? - Snotr

EjBlack

Jun 24, 2012
I built my OTG cable from instructions on the internet because I was too impatient to wait for my OTG plug to arrive in the mail.

They are all over Ebay and Amazon alongside numerous random companies online who offer different variations.

feathered2

Jun 22, 2012
Back to square one...

Ubuntu is not an option.

Found out that the warranty is voided if another OS is installed.

Also, will have to upgrade the firmware.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
One last idea to see if you can spot the problem is to run alogcat (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jtb.alogcat&hl=en) or something similar and then plug in the keyboard and see what you get.

Here's what my logcat output looks like when I connect my keyboard:

06-26 22:43:40.040 1117 1156 I InputReader: Reconfiguring input devices. changes=0x00000004
06-26 22:44:13.480 1117 1156 I EventHub: New device: id=6, fd=99, path='/dev/input/event5', name='HID xxxx:yyyy, classes=0x80000003, configuration='', keyLayout='/system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl', keyCharacterMap='/system/usr/keychars/Generic.kcm', builtinKeyboard=false

FYI.

anmolsaraf

Oct 22, 2012
I purchased a male mini usb to female usb converter from ebay but doesn't seem to work. After installing the usb host controller i receive a message that says - "s3c usb host drivers not found". Searched and search the whole internet but not finding any good solution to these problems.:(

Can you or somebody confirm that "Freelander pd10 dual sim 3g" tablet supports connection to external usb devices like keyboard, mouse, sd cards cards, I can probably try more cables as I am still not sure if it's a problem with the tablets or the cable that i recently purchased.

Thanks for you help.

Plamen I think I can answer your questions adequately,

1) Partly, Yes. Aside from building the OTG cable, and loading the corresponding apps, I have had to do nothing special to my tablet. A lot of what I had found about making things work, is making sure that everything is working correctly from step one. Google search OTG cable was my starting point.

2)Because my 7" Mid Tablet only has a Usb Mini Plug. It does not have a full size Usb A plug.

3) Reference #2

4)From what I have read here and on the internet, when you use an OTG cable (special cable) on android 3.1 or later (correct me if I am wrong, please) the OTG cable has an extra pin, pin #5 linked to the ground, which tells the Tablets mini usb plug port to go into Host mode.

5) Correct. That is the app that I installed. It will confirm that your unit has properly recognized host usb and your usb peripheral is plugged in.

6)I plugged in most all of my USB devices to check that my unit was recognizing things and reporting them correctly. All of my mice and keyboards were confirmed to properly work. The DVD and my hard drives were recognized properly, but I did not go any further to confirm they actually worked. That was not my goal. To get my mini usb simply working for now was what I wanted to achieve. I will confirm other usb devices at a later date.

7)I am also new to Android, tho not new to the Linux kernal of which Android is based upon. Since my unit has been rooted (basically I have administrator privileges within the file system of my Android), I know that not all "drivers" are "installed" in the Android kernel and the roms need to be loaded. Terminology with Android and Linux may be different than Windows, but all mean the same thing. Don't let the different terminologies confuse you.
Loading a rom, or installing an app is still the same process. Just like any computer, you must have the corresponding "drivers" to your hardware for things to properly work.

Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich is the newest OS and should work properly out of the box as far as usb is concerned. Usb is built into the language. It is just a matter of making sure, like I mentioned before, to have all of your steps correct from step 1. Start from scratch if you have to to get the things you want working working.

It is a learning process, but once you understand the basics, it really is simple how this programming allows you to do things with your Android.

Good luck, and always, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Ej

anmolsaraf

Oct 22, 2012
I built my OTG cable from instructions on the internet because I was too impatient to wait for my OTG plug to arrive in the mail.

They are all over Ebay and Amazon alongside numerous random companies online who offer different variations.

Does it work now after you built your own from internet. I purchased one from Ebay but doesn't work. Your case if it works can you tell me which site provided the information to create your own at home.

I can also try some more internet, if you know a specific one and can confirm it works with the freelander dual sim (4.0.3) it would be very big help and I will purchase it.

Thanks for the kind help !!
Anmol Saraf

Jlynn

Jan 6, 2013
This was all quite helpful to me as well. Thanks for going thru all the possible aspects of how to make the keyboard work, as I too found my keyboard worked in my regular pc too but not with the mini USB port on my tablet. I was given a Zeepad that too came with the separate keyboard to make it easier on me. But to no avail. Can I ask if either of you found another tablet with separate keyboard that DID work? I'd still like one, but think you both have quite a head start on me! I'm still able to return mine and wish to do so if I can find a tablet that DOES have a separate keyboard. Thx for all the earnest hard work you both put into this. Jennifer

ddstaten.mx

Aug 20, 2013
This was all quite helpful to me as well. Thanks for going thru all the possible aspects of how to make the keyboard work, as I too found my keyboard worked in my regular pc too but not with the mini USB port on my tablet. I was given a Zeepad that too came with the separate keyboard to make it easier on me. But to no avail. Can I ask if either of you found another tablet with separate keyboard that DID work? I'd still like one, but think you both have quite a head start on me! I'm still able to return mine and wish to do so if I can find a tablet that DOES have a separate keyboard. Thx for all the earnest hard work you both put into this. Jennifer

I don't know if anyone is still out there, but, I just got my new Chinese tablet to work with a Chinese external case/keyboard. It lit up and started working when I turned off all developer options. My tablet has an ON OFF switch at the top right of the "developer options" settings. I had previously installed the USB Host Controller app, but I don't know if this has anything to do with it. I know the kb did not work until I turned off all developer options.