AOC offers new Android Tablet with 8-Inch Screen

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
aoc-android-tablet-breeze.jpg

Fremont, Calif. – January 3, 2011 – AOC, the world's largest manufacturer of LCD/LED monitors and HDTVs, announces the launch of the Breeze, an ultraportable tablet with an industry-leading 8-inch, 800-by-600-pixel touch screen and a full USB 2.0 port. The Breeze Tablet runs on the Google Android 2.1 operating system and is powered by a Rockchip processor. Weighing in at only 1.1 pounds, it is a truly portable device that puts the Internet, e-mail, games, movies and music at your fingertips. The Breeze Tablet offers a seamless user experience and will be available for purchase at a sub-$200 price point at national retailers.

"In developing the Breeze Tablet, we were able to capitalize on our expertise in video displays and our strength in the computer industry to create a device that matches our 60-year reputation of providing quality and user-friendly products at a great value," said Robert Velez, Marketing Manager of AOC.

Ideal for work and play, the Breeze Tablet lets you stream media from an attached USB device or the Internet via Wi-Fi onto its 8-inch, 800-by-600-pixel touch screen. The device will play several hours of audio and video when fully charged, and includes a built-in speaker, standard headphone jack and microphone. The Breeze comes preloaded with essential applications like Web browser, video and audio players, photo browser, e-mail, calendar and e-book shelves, and provides access to additional apps like office suite through the Android marketplace. The Breeze offers 4GB of on-board storage space, as well as a micro SD card slot for further expansion. The full USB 2.0 also allows for additional storage.

Key Standard Features
• Google Android 2.1 OS
• 8-inch touch screen with auto-rotation
• Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
• 4GB internal memory
• Full USB 2.0 port
• Additional ports: USB OTG, 3.5MM stereo headphone jack, DC in jack
• Micro SD card reader
• 12 hrs audio playing time/up to 6 hrs video time

A full line of accessories is available for the Breeze Tablet, and AOC offers a two-year accident coverage program for loss or damage of the device. AOC will showcase the Breeze Tablet during CES 2011 in Las Vegas from January 6-9. Journalists interested in previewing the Breeze and additional AOC products at the Bellagio Tower Ballroom 5, may schedule an appointment by contacting Tiffany Iwankiw.

About AOC
AOC is the world's largest manufacturer of LCD/LED monitors and HDTVs. With more than 60 years of design and manufacturing experience, AOC has earned a reputation for selling user-friendly, technologically advanced monitors, TVs and multi-functional displays. Every aspect of AOC's global business focuses on the development of products that fit seamlessly into consumers' digital lifestyle. For more information, please visit AOC Global Home or us.aoc.com.

robop

Dec 6, 2010
this dose sound nice. I am interested, who knows maybe all the kids will get one for birthdays!!!

Mozzer

Oct 30, 2010
i was interested in dell 7 inch streak but you have to have their $30/mo data plan. this looks great, i hope it can deliever.

Comacine

Aug 23, 2010
It's nice, but 800x600 8-inch screen is not industry-leading... Still, very nicely priced for the specs, if they really can make it happen.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Good to see new brand name tablets. I see the speaker up front with hardware buttons a shiny blue light too..

bigbill

Jan 10, 2011
I just picked one up at Frys today for $159.99 Nice little unit. Much better than the 7" units I tried a few months ago, their odd screen resolution meant scrolling hell for web surfing. 800x600 on a 4x3 format screen is web surfing heaven. Sure wish it had a capacative screen, so far after messing with it for a few hours its pretty nice. Very fast. It has 2.1, but the interface sure looks more like froyo. -Bill

Iwindows

Apr 4, 2011
hi how is the screen, is it fairly bright or very dull? 8" tablets are the way to go, but need a decent screen

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Not too impressive. There are 7-inch "sub-200" alternatives worth considering:
If you want 800x600, and do not need USB OTG, the Pandigital Novel (white case model, NOT black) is often on sale for $130.

If you want USB host (not sure how that equates to "On The Go" - OTG), and can accept 800x480, the Craig CMP 738a is a steal at $99 from CVS, and even has FroYo available now. The only caveat is that it would not connect reliably to my WPA home access points, but only to a WEP AP, but other users did not seem to have that issue. Since I have connected over a dozen other devices to those WPA AP's (including several other Androids), and I had 2 such Craigs, I have the feeling they may have been part of a bad wifi card batch at the store I got both from - YMMV

There is a Coby 8-inch 800x600 offering with 2.2 and/or 2.3 about ready (maybe is by now - keep checking Amazon) for around $200.

bigbill

Jan 10, 2011
The screen seems very bright to me and its set at about 70% of high. Overall its a great device. Takes getting used to the resistive touchscreen. and there isn't a webcam.