Archos 101 or Viewsonic G-tab?

popezaphod

Nov 19, 2010
So I've recently jumped on the Android bandwagon with a Droid 2. I love the platform and am seriously considering a tablet since the majority of what I do on my laptop is web, IM, and watch media. A tablet would give me even more mobility and I really like Android.

At first I was looking at the Archos 101 Internet Tablet. It appears to have all the features I want and has decent speed. But then I started reading the specs for the ViewSonic G Tablet. The Tegra 2 chipset sounds like it will run rings around the Archos.

But I've been reading about the problems in the stock ROM and all the various solutions to it - flash it with CM6.1b2, flash it with TNT Lite, flash it with the Zpad ROM, etc. It sounds like you'd have to do a lot of tinkering with the G Tablet - which I don't mind, but part of me wants something that just works.

But on the other hand, the ViewSonic is available now and the Archos is allegedly shipping small quantities of the 16GB version starting Monday... but they sold out of the 8GB version very quickly this week. So it may be weeks before I could get my hand on an Archos.

On the other other hand, we're on the verge of Gingerbread and at some point Android 3.0 will come out. I've heard that "official" tablet support may be held off until 3.0, but I expect some better support in 2.3. So if I wait until the Spring, there may be either new tablets running 2.3 or refined support for 2.3 on the ViewSonic.

What's a geeky guy to do? What do you folks think? Archos, ViewSonic, or wait and see what's coming round the bend?

PWR_USR

Nov 19, 2010
i think the safer bet would be to wait and see what happens over the next year, but if your like me and just cannot wait to get a tablet (for reasons listed above) then the Viewsonic is probably less of a risk. i'v read too many forum posts about faulty A101's to buy one myself considering the price

Iron

Nov 21, 2010
Think about the size... I was 100% sure I would get a 10 inch tablet but now since I got the Galaxy Tab I will not want a bigger one.. ever! I believe 7 inch is the perfect size for this sort of device. I have it now since 3 weeks (got it in Asia) and love to read on it, browse the web and so on.

Anyway, if you are not in a hurry just wait until next year. I just went for the Galaxy Tab because I know it will have good support from Samsung and because it is kind of popular it will also have good support from XDA :D

firewater

Nov 25, 2010
So I've recently jumped on the Android bandwagon with a Droid 2. I love the platform and am seriously considering a tablet since the majority of what I do on my laptop is web, IM, and watch media. A tablet would give me even more mobility and I really like Android.

At first I was looking at the Archos 101 Internet Tablet. It appears to have all the features I want and has decent speed. But then I started reading the specs for the ViewSonic G Tablet. The Tegra 2 chipset sounds like it will run rings around the Archos.

But I've been reading about the problems in the stock ROM and all the various solutions to it - flash it with CM6.1b2, flash it with TNT Lite, flash it with the Zpad ROM, etc. It sounds like you'd have to do a lot of tinkering with the G Tablet - which I don't mind, but part of me wants something that just works.

But on the other hand, the ViewSonic is available now and the Archos is allegedly shipping small quantities of the 16GB version starting Monday... but they sold out of the 8GB version very quickly this week. So it may be weeks before I could get my hand on an Archos.

On the other other hand, we're on the verge of Gingerbread and at some point Android 3.0 will come out. I've heard that "official" tablet support may be held off until 3.0, but I expect some better support in 2.3. So if I wait until the Spring, there may be either new tablets running 2.3 or refined support for 2.3 on the ViewSonic.

What's a geeky guy to do? What do you folks think? Archos, ViewSonic, or wait and see what's coming round the bend?

I compare the 2 tablets...It seem G tablet is more powerful than the Archos...with respect to Video and Processor....A lil tweak for the Gtab should fix it and amazing performance. Ive been an Archos user, the support is ridiculous..too slow.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
A geeky guy should get the G-Tablet and be a part of the Cyanogenmod porting process :D

If you need something that works, the 101 is going to be just fine.

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
I personally don't want to wait LOL however, when i went to SEARS to look at the Viewsonig G Tablet, the boy had no clue about it. Didn't think they carried it. I showed him the case they offered for it in the locked cabinet and inquired if they had any in the back. He said no and seemed dumbfounded and confused. I don't mind going for this since there is so much help to tweek and root, I'm sure I can get it to operate like I'd need. But is this a sign of the support that it will receive? I really think I want a 10" tablet, I don't want something too small so I'm hesitant about a 7". Should I really go for the Veiwsonic??!

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
But is this a sign of the support that it will receive?[/B] I really think I want a 10" tablet, I don't want something too small so I'm hesitant about a 7".
Should I really go for the Veiwsonic??!
To your question about support, quite simply at this time, the answer is yes. Long term I think it will improve. Android and the products are all new technology. If you are familiar with *nix of any type, you will be fine. If you are strictly MS or never really got into the guts it will be community support for the next 6-12 months.
In regards to size. I am going to split the difference. I am waiting on delivery of a 16G Archos 101. I know it will be the perfect couch companion. But my 7 inch units are what I will take when I am out and about.

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
well, I ended up getting a Viewsonic G Tablet today while I was BF shopping. Staples had it $399 and they do not charge a restocking fee. The manager said they will still take it back through mid-Jan if I found it didn't perform like I wanted. So I bit the bullet and figured why not then? So I've played w/it a few and so far, this is what I see:

* I hate the regular home page. It keeps defaulting to weather info for Cambridge, Mass.

* It did take a few to change the clocks and time to my local. When I changed the regular time in the settings, there is also a seperate clock that also sits on the home page and it's the time for some place else. I did get that changed.

* After about an hour (browsing settings and testing WiFi), the gyro seemed to stop working. The screen wouldn't switch directions. I turned it off and hope on power up that it restores. I doubled checked and it is set to ON.

* I think it responds okay to commands. At least so far it's not too bad.

* Performance right out of the box isn't too bad. There is just no instructions on what you are looking at and have to navigate the sreens. There is a card from Viewsonic that states they will have Flash available for free download when ready in Dec. They also direct you to apps from their website, but I think I read these are not the "real" android marketplace apps. So I will look into this some also.

Now I do not have any previous tablet experience and do not own a smart phone. I'm a regular PC user (20+ yrs) and know my way around some but hubby pretty good on PCs. I feel confident that anything I find on here I want to tweek, between the two of us we can figure it out. If after playing with it for a few days it runs like I want, then I will box it up for a Christmas present to myself. :)

Suggestions or comments are welcome. I'll update as I see how it performs later.

achoo04

Nov 28, 2010
@dnjpowell, I was seriously about to post the same question with the same pros/cons. You really saved me the time. And after reading this, I think I too will be picking up a G Tab locally. If it doesn't live up to my expectations, then I'll just return it. ;-) So, cheers and good luck. Next stop Sears! Then XDA :-D

popezaphod

Nov 19, 2010
I picked up a Gtab and am running zpad on it. As a former Linux user I find the tinkering to be routine and the support from the modding community is fantastic. It has replaced my laptop for 90% of what I do.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
Date and time reset on me today. Will see if reason battery was totally dead was why it did that or some other issue.

No other gyro issue.

Need to find how to do backup

Wont tweak till warranty is over. By then I will know how I'm using it compared to my PC. There does seem to be a ton of apps so think I can do most of what I'd want.

Have notneeded to call customer support socant answer that yet.

*edit* the other thing I don't care for is when I send email. It sends a copy to my inbox. I can't see how to change this anywhere. The CC: is blank so it must be in program itself yet I can find nothing in the settings.

@Pope / I never did much w Linux but will learn some now!!

@achoo / good luck! My searshad no idea about it & doesn't carry in store. Staples won out cause they had it to check out prior to buying, unlike Sears. I think I'm happyppy with choice.

It hasn't made it to Christmas present stash yet. I still have it out trying stuff on it. Its so portable and works like a computer mostly. I can't put it down just yet! Hahaa

Last edited:

Frozen001

Dec 8, 2010
OK So I am looking at these two tables. Looks like ath ARCHOS is out of stock EVERYWHERE that I have looked. The G is available now. My Wife has an iPad, and I loke the tablet form factor from use her iPad, just don't like Apple or the Apple OS. My primary usage will be internet browsing, eReader, and email (G-Mail and Exchange account). I would really like to be able to use it for note taking (would prefer hand writing recognition, or something like penultimate for the iPad). I also don't want to be dissapointed because of flaky firmware, but don't mind have to do some initial tweeks on it.

Any thoughts on which of these two (or maybe another one I should consider)

My Wife would like to get this for my x-mas present, but I am driver her crazy because I can't make up my mind. The biggest drawback is I cannot get my hands on any of them unless I buy one.

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
OK here's the deal. The GPad is an EXCELLENT device after you root it and throw on a custom ROM, otherwise it sucks ass. The Archos 101 is an excellent device after you update it to 2.2 and install the google apps APK to get full market access. That being said the Archos will likely have better factory support in the short term and eventual, hopefully, Dev community suuport in the long term. The GPad has excellent Dev support now but craptastic factory support.

short/y

Oct 13, 2010
OK here's the deal. The GPad is an EXCELLENT device after you root it and throw on a custom ROM, otherwise it sucks ass. The Archos 101 is an excellent device after you update it to 2.2 and install the google apps APK to get full market access. That being said the Archos will likely have better factory support in the short term and eventual, hopefully, Dev community suuport in the long term. The GPad has excellent Dev support now but craptastic factory support.

That's pretty much the case for the G Tablet. I own one and have been involved with the modders over at XDA since they first came out. I can honestly say it's a real whiz BUT there's not a lot more we can do with it without source code which Viewsonic doesn't seem to be too willing to release. The dual core Tegra 2 is a screamer, the 512M RAM, 16G built-in storage, the microSD card and the full-size USB port all make for some real potential, only some of which we've been able to unlock with custom ROMs. But, if you aren't interested in modding, perhaps the Archos is a better bet.

blackstone

Dec 7, 2010
So I am too looking at getting one of these (or maybe the Archos 70). My main use will be watchin videos on long haul flights and net access. Therefore, screen quality and battery life is waht is most important to me.

Although modding and customising will not be a priority, it would be something that I would like to have a play with.

So, which would you suggest is best for these uses?