Archos 101 or Viewsonic G-tab?

boneless

Dec 7, 2010
Ok, I thought getting 10.1 to work was relatively easy through XDA. I don't mind working through it, but if it's still buggy either way, I may wait. It's mostly for home to use with wifi. My wife has an ipad but the lack of flash bothers me a bit.

boneless

Dec 7, 2010
OK, This may sound like a stupid question but is not. When do you want this functionality?
The reason I ask is the Archos 101 full Flash capability has not been released. It will be but is going through capability testing. While you can install flash on the Archos 70/101, it runs at limited functionality in comparison to what it will run.
And on the GTab. The interface is loggie. It is actually awful. Only the community build XDA is worth considering. You need a basic level of technical capability to Flash. It is not hard. But you have to expect problems

Long term, the GTab will be the stronger performer. But may be the same in capability.

I read your reply again, is the XDA build for the Gtab really advanced? I consider myself a moderate techie, but anything code I can't do. I've been reviewing the gtab build for awhile and it seems the best use of the Gtab and they rave about it which is what I was considering doing anyhow. It also seems to be a better long term option due to the hardware. But the Archos is cheaper. Therein lies my dilemma.

That brings me to another question. I read in some posts that there are 3G compatible tablets for sim cards. Does that mean my data plan through T-Mobile can be used on it simply by putting my sim cards in it? I tried doing a forum search on that but 3G is too short for the search. Is there another method to search for it?

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
There is a pretty straightforward walkthrough to install Clockwork, flash the device, and then enable market and Flash 10.1. Once you have gone through this completely, and followed every single step on the 4 pages to the letter, you have a very usable tablet.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The GTab works much better and will work much better with Adobe Flash than the Archos 101 ever will.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I read your reply again, is the XDA build for the Gtab really advanced? I consider myself a moderate techie, but anything code I can't do. I've been reviewing the gtab build for awhile and it seems the best use of the Gtab and they rave about it which is what I was considering doing anyhow. It also seems to be a better long term option due to the hardware. But the Archos is cheaper. Therein lies my dilemma.

That brings me to another question. I read in some posts that there are 3G compatible tablets for sim cards. Does that mean my data plan through T-Mobile can be used on it simply by putting my sim cards in it? I tried doing a forum search on that but 3G is too short for the search. Is there another method to search for it?

What pbrauer said is why I made my statement. I admit I have a slight bias for the 101. But think longterm, the GTab is the stronger contender. Almost total agreement with both pbrauer and xaueious. The real problem if you look about is the community firmware (XDA) is better than the factory firmware.

3G Modems are a dice roll. Some have it installed into the firmware, Others no. Right now, Archos thinks you would prefer tethering. But that should change. Cannot answer about the XDA build.

dnjpowell

Nov 7, 2010
I am on it daily now too ever since I flashed tnt!! Its so convenient and has definitely been a couch companion! Lol

nternet7

Jan 3, 2011
I've had the archos stuff and support was bad. I have the gtab now and love it. I did installed the new tent lite Roman from xda, and it was so easy I think many people can do it. The 10" screen is very nice, and the speed is good. I took my archos back.

stanglx

Jan 4, 2011
I understand you guys want to jump to the GTablet but take heed.. the screen is very very very bad... Its no different then taking your current net book and using that screen as a tablet.

What I dont like is if its laying on a table you cant see the screen. If you try to use it portrait you get a 3D effect where one eye gets one level of contrast and the other eye gets a different level of contrast...

If you look straight on horrizontally its fine no problems.. From what I heard the Archos screen on the 101 is slightly better and on the 70 significantly better (but smaller screen).

Speed wise its fast but questionably faster at this point with some of the hacks you can do with the Archos units... Is it future proof that is debate able.. and who cares if you want to buy something now and will ultimately upgrade anyway when the next best thing comes out (units that come with Honeycomb pre-installed)...

There are a bunch of guys, even some who at the forefront of making the changes (custom roms) who are looking to jump ship as soon as they find a device with a better screen - so you also have to question if the support will be there for that device in the long term..

Net net.. I see both the Archos and Viewsonic as a short term solution - question is if its short term which has the best value... It seems to me the Archos is the best value at this point in time..

cool1100

Dec 7, 2010
I have two 7" tablets and picked up the gtab because I wanted a larger tablet. I don't mind the screen at all. I also have not made any rom changes, just updated to the latest viewsonic. I love it....

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
I had an Archos but it crapped out in the first week... and it wasn't really "right" out of the box and with the sparse availability.... i knew it would've been a couple weeks getting another so i just returned it...

has any one here been able to compare the 2 tablets and could offer up advice on choice between the 2? :confused::confused::confused:

I had an Archos but it crapped out in the first week... and it wasn't really "right" out of the box and with the sparse availability.... i knew it would've been a couple weeks getting another so i just returned it...

has any one here been able to compare the 2 tablets and could offer up advice on choice between the 2? :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

tcrews

Oct 19, 2010
Basically the Gtab has twice the ram (512mb vs 256mb) and twice the CPU performance over the Archos. Both have similar LCD panels, both can be easily modded to allow Market, Gmail, etc...

The 16 gig (only model) Gtablet can be had off Buy.com (3rd party vendor) for $369
The 16 gig Archos 101 is $349 (reg. price).

Both are nice....I debated long and hard but settled on the Gtablet over the Archos for the reasons above.

(The Archos does have a much better/nicer video player app that others have unsuccessfully tried to port to other devices).

cool1100

Dec 7, 2010
I love my gtab, meets all my needs even without rooting, just make sure sure you apply the Viewsonic firmware update. The pad will automatically want to update itself.

Shydz

Jan 19, 2011
I love my gtab, meets all my needs even without rooting, just make sure sure you apply the Viewsonic firmware update. The pad will automatically want to update itself.

Thanks for this info! I ordered the GTab and was a bit worried that you had to root! Don't want to brick my device or void the warranty, so want to keep it as it - with just the updates on it!

How is the market on it? Can I get Angry Birds? :)