Archos 101 Tablet, will it get the 3.0 upgrade, or the fuul Google Market?

Rockstar

Sep 26, 2010
I need some help! I'm really thinking about getting one of these tablets (the 101), my only concern is will they be upgradeable to future versions of Android, such as the anticipated 3.0 release?, and will they get the full Google market? Or should I wait to see the fabled Motorola tablet that is coming out? Any help would be great, thanks.

scholzj

Aug 24, 2010
Archos didn't provided much support for it's previous generation Android tablet. That's why I would not bet on some official upgrades. However, at least the market will be hopefully hacked by the community ...

cpg716

Jul 23, 2010
Archos didn't provided much support for it's previous generation Android tablet. That's why I would not bet on some official upgrades. However, at least the market will be hopefully hacked by the community ...

People say this, but they are still releasing firmware updates for a tablet they released a year ago... So.. I disagree with this...

Also, NO ONE knows if right now if ANY device will be able to upgrade to Gingerbread, as it doesnt exist yet... Google has made NO TRUE announcements about it, everything is rumor or speculation.

The Google market is probably a likely hack, but dont buy the device thinking that, as it could never happen....

CPG

scholzj

Aug 24, 2010
Yes, they released some updates, true. But they are still only updating the 1.6 firmware, right?

cpg716

Jul 23, 2010
Yes, they released some updates, true. But they are still only updating the 1.6 firmware, right?

This is a media device.. Why not focus on improving what they offer on 1.6 Firmware. There is no need ultimately to do 2.1 or 2.2 at this point. It is a one year old device, and 2.2 devices are coming out. Its not if the device doesnt function cause its on 1.6.

As I have said before. Buy the device for what it does today. Upgrades are a perk, not a right.

CPG

scholzj

Aug 24, 2010
Yes, I agree with you in almost everything. It is definitely better to have a good and stable 1.6 firmware then clumsy 2.1 or 2.2. And as you said, you should be buying what's for sale today and not what may come as an upgrade.

I just believe that the unreleased 2.1 firmware for Archos 5IT is kind of an indication that you should not put much hope on the official §.0 release for 8th generation tablets.

TapNClick

Oct 17, 2010
Is there any way to be able to browse the AppsLib market without actually owning an Archos tablet? I have pre-ordered an Archos 101 and I'd like to start looking through the available apps so that I can make plans for which of them I want to obtain.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Is there any way to be able to browse the AppsLib market without actually owning an Archos tablet? I have pre-ordered an Archos 101 and I'd like to start looking through the available apps so that I can make plans for which of them I want to obtain.

they have it on the web... and it is a good listing...

AppsLib

the android market web site only hit's on a few high lighted apps... in NO way should the web site be an indication that it is a complete listing of what's available...

if you do some researh you'll find that they have already found a way to easily load the Android Market on these devices.. at least on the 2.1 version that they are currently being shipped with... that MAY change when it goes to 2.2

tyy10002

Nov 13, 2010
I pre-ordered the 101 in TD but canceled it after learning the G-tablet and thinking that the 101 will be out-dated early next year when Android 3.0 tablets release. There is a rumor saying Android 3.0 needs 512 of RAM.. 101 comes with 256M.. Not sure the 101 can be upgraded to Android 3.0

TapNClick

Oct 17, 2010
I finally was able to get to that site. For some reason it had shown up on web searches the last few days but generated a "page not found" error. I tried it yesterday and it was working again.

Once I got to it I was very disappointed in the way it is organized. Many of the entries are not even readable because the text is in some non-western font so all that shows up is a bunch of little squares.

stevepsycho

Nov 13, 2010
Does anyone knw when the archos 10-1 ablet will be available? I just purchased the huawei s7 from best buy yesterday. And It really is amazing. But if the archos s7 is coming out any time soon. I would consider trying it out as well. Especially for the same price.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
Does anyone knw when the archos 10-1 ablet will be available? I just purchased the huawei s7 from best buy yesterday. And It really is amazing. But if the archos s7 is coming out any time soon. I would consider trying it out as well. Especially for the same price.

although the archos has some advantages the main disadvantage of the archos is no SIM card support., no 3G ...:(