Archos 101 USB streaming

lcmarino

Dec 3, 2010
Im new to all of this Android world but Im really intrigued/interested on the Archos 101 ....I have one question and hoping the folks who have one can help ??

I plan to use this tablet as a "portable DVD" player for long car trips among other things...I have a 250 WD usb drive and loaded with a bunch of movies for the kids .....Can the Archos 101 stream the video directly from the USB drive or do I need to copy the movies on the internal drive ..

Any help/comments would be really helpful
Thanks in advance

Gin Martini

Oct 20, 2010
By curiousity, I just tried on mine with my portable LaCie drive and it can detect the drive, search for file and will probably play it fine. I can't be sure on how it'll play only because it can't decode the video I tested (I didn't buy the Archos cinema plug-in, so more than 50% of my video files won't play)
I might do another test later.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, I did the same. The important thing to remember is the USB drive MUST be independently powered. The battery for the 101 is not built for external Hard drive. You would be better to just rip to multiple MicroSD. That is my plan. OR use adhoc from my new Archos 5 -500Gb to my new 101. I know already it will not PAN. I did try.

Gin Martini

Oct 20, 2010
OK, I did the same. The important thing to remember is the USB drive MUST be independently powered. The battery for the 101 is not built for external Hard drive. You would be better to just rip to multiple MicroSD. That is my plan. OR use adhoc from my new Archos 5 -500Gb to my new 101. I know already it will not PAN. I did try.

I just tried another test with a playable on Archos 101 video. It can be played directly from the usb port on a USB thumb or Portable external hard drive! it'll use the power directly from the Archos 101 and not independently on a power adapter. It is tested with a 250GB LaCie portable external HDD.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I just tried another test with a playable on Archos 101 video. It can be played directly from the usb port on a USB thumb or Portable external hard drive! it'll use the power directly from the Archos 101 and not independently on a power adapter. It is tested with a 250GB LaCie portable external HDD.

Thanks for that. I was using not a LaCie but a WD MyPassport. So it may be the voltage draw. I had a horrid experience of drive fail on a LaCie at work and swore never to buy a Lacie. The drive I was using was the .5TB and ended up assisting it with an in line power to the WD.

Gin Martini

Oct 20, 2010
Thanks for that. I was using not a LaCie but a WD MyPassport. So it may be the voltage draw. I had a horrid experience of drive fail on a LaCie at work and swore never to buy a Lacie. The drive I was using was the .5TB and ended up assisting it with an in line power to the WD.

Also thank you for testing a different hard drive. Since the OP wanted to use his 250GB WD HDD, your test is more accurate in his case. and it also help me to not going telling anyone that every portable external HDD works on the Archos 101.

lcmarino

Dec 3, 2010
Guys ...Thanks for your testing but a little confused ...Did the WD Mypassport work ?

I was reading around in the forum and it seems like some USB drives work ok but not so much for others ...

This for me is a big deciding factor whether I will buy the Archos 101 or perhaps wait for the Adam (Its just that the Adam is taking so damn long to come out)

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
No, My WD did NOT work, while his LaCie did. I think it is directly related to drive voltage/Amp load. I tried my 101 later last night on a unit which had a Toshiba 20gb 1.8" drive and it mounted.

Soooo, some drives may not work due to how much power is required for drive operation.

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010
So my 320 gig passport full of movies wont work if hooked up to the Archos via USB or it might? I guess I need to dig it out and try it. But streaming wirelessly would be nice too but if I have to plug it in I will. Gonna try it tomorrow if I remember..

jkane

Jun 23, 2010
My 250 WD "world edition" did work. But I would be concerned as it's a USB only powered device. Being a physical drive, it likely would suck the battery dead on the ARchos fast.