Archos 5 Internet Tablet (IT) Being Hacked to Android 2.2

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
wcvxvl.jpg

Correction: G-sensor is a present feature in the A5IT

openAOS (Open Source Android Operating Systems) is working on a port of Android 2.2 onto the Archos 5 Internet Tablet, which has the TI3440. Texas Instruments has a good platform for opensource firmware development. A public alpha release will be available soon.

openAOS is stating that they are still months away from a stable release. The hardware specifications make this device Android 2.2 and Adobe Flash capable.

This can be had for as low as $190 (JR.com sale). While it does run an older version of Android, the specifications, pricing and availability make it one of the most viable Android tablets on the market today at 5".

Check out this alpha build, shown with wifi and OpenGL acceleration working:

Follow the openAOS forum discussion at ArchosFans forums.

Features:
Cortex-A8 at 800 MHz TI3440
256MB RAM
4.8" LCD at 800x480
Android 1.6
WiFi
Bluetooth
Built-in GPS
USB hosting
Up to 7 hour video playback
Resistive touch screen
Full specs

Additional Links
openAOS Development Wiki
openAOS Development Mailing List
openAOS Developer IRC Chat
ArchosFans wiki - Archos 5 Internet Tablet

Last edited by a moderator:

metabol

Sep 17, 2010
This is a terrible product by a terrible company. Steer clear. They promise the world and fall way short. The unit locked up daily and could not do half the things it advertised. It is not going to support Froyo either. This company drops support without any notice and comes out with a new, almost exact, line of tablets at the expense of current owners. Beware.

-Met

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Metabol,
I find a bias in your comments and I cannot fully disagree on some of your comments. But I would disagree that they are a terrible company. I have stated prior, I have been using Archos since Gen 3, and have the Angstrom Linux dual boot version of the 5 IMT. I have the Archos 7 HMT as well. They have their weaknesses, But when it comes to features, they have tried to be capable. Where they fail is the desire to profit on codecs and plugins. The other issue which is well documented over at Archosfans is the issue covering any holes identified to root the system. This was especially true prior to the Android IMTs. The quality of these units is good, the capability running strictly on Cupcake is reasonable for when it was introduced. The introduction of new models supercede any desire to support prior models. This is typical for many companies. I would rather have an Archos 5 IMT Android with a large storage capability, Wireless, and ability to do what it does best being a PMP than trying to turn an e-reader like the VIA 8505 chipset EKens into Video Powerhouses.

My opinion on these is more hold on to your money. These will drop in price dramatically once the new Archos models hit the streets. This is already starting to happen if you look. But it will accelerate on some retailers like E-Cost or Amazon or even Google shopper. These units will be very reasonable for what they really are designed. (especially if you are looking at the higher capacity units)

But this is just my opinion

zerotiger

Nov 11, 2010
this has me giddy. I was thinking about picking up one of the new android tablets that Archos is pushing but maybe now I'll wait. The Archos 5 was and still is a great little device. The new stuff looks slick too, but Archos seems to have dropped the ball in some areas. I think ultimately utilizing the Android system on their devices is a really good choice for them.
I'm curious to know how well 2.2 will run on the older hardware. I'm also curious to see how running Flash on the Archos 5 will effect the battery. It has historically given me awesome battery life considering what it does.

Aug 3, 2011
Archos 5 internet tablet, current firmware is 1.6, looking to upgrade to Froyo 2.2.

What is best way to backup apps? Use a app like Titanium backup or copy paste apps to hd? (apk file, or all folders)
After backup, perform a reinitialization. then start the froyo upgrade is best way?

Is there best website or instructions that show the froyo upgrade? (or if you have a pdf or .doc, email to [email protected])
I have a few pages and sites that also show the upgrade.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Do a search on the words OpenAOS and related Archos 5. Keep in mind you will loose some of the major functionality to make the update to the Community 2.2 build. It is NOT an Archos provided/sponsored build. If you do decide, think of a blank slate, you will not be able to restore 1.6 installed apps. You will have to start from scratch IF they do work in OpenAOS.

Archos 5 internet tablet, current firmware is 1.6, looking to upgrade to Froyo 2.2.

What is best way to backup apps? Use a app like Titanium backup or copy paste apps to hd? (apk file, or all folders)
After backup, perform a reinitialization. then start the froyo upgrade is best way?

Is there best website or instructions that show the froyo upgrade? (or if you have a pdf or .doc, email to [email protected])
I have a few pages and sites that also show the upgrade.

Aug 3, 2011
OpenAOS gives you a few startup firmware options in logging onto? (or just logging 2.2?)

What major apps (or most useful) is not available in Froyo version?