Archos 7 Android Tablet is available through Amazon

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
archos7-android.jpg

Amazon.com is now selling the Archos 7 Android Tablet for $199!

Product Features

• 8 GB capacity for about 4000 songs, 80,000 photos, or seven full-length movies
  • Seven hours of video or 42 hours of audio on a single charge
  • Seven-inch TFT LCD touchscreen with 800x480 pixel resolution, 16m colors
  • Supports H.264/MPEG-4/Real video codecs in AVI, MP4, MKV, MOV, and FLV file formats; MP3, WMA, WAV, APE, OGG, FLAC
  • One-year limited warranty

Technical Details

• Storage:: 8 GB Flash as well as expandable through a microSDHC Slot
  • Capacity:: Up to 7 movies, 80,000 photos or 4,000 songs
  • Display:: High-resolution touchscreen, 800x480 pixels, 7-inch TFT LCD, 16 million colors with a virtual keyboard
  • Video Playback:: H.264 up to 720p resolution – 30 fps / 2.5 Mbps.; MPEG-4 up to 720p resolution – 30 fps / 6 Mbps.; Realvideo up to 720p resolution – 30 fps / 2.5 Mbps. With the aforementioned codecs, the device can play video files with the following extensions: .avi, .mp4, .mkv, .mov, and .flv M-JPEG (Motion JPEG Video) in QVGA resolution
  • Audio Playback:: MP3, WMA (non protected), WAV3, APE, OGG, FLAC, AAC3
  • Photo Viewer:: JPEG, BMP, GIF
  • Interfaces:: USB 2.0 Slave (Mass Storage Class [MSC]); USB 2.0 Host (Mass Storage Class [MSC] – connects a mass storage device or keyboard and mouse [adapter micro B/A sold separately]); Micro SDHC card
  • Communication Protocols:: Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
  • Other Features:: Two built-in speakers; built-in leg stand; built-in Microphone; composite video output (cable sold separately)
  • Power source:: Internal—Lithium Polymer battery; External—Power adapter/charger
  • Battery Life:: Music playback time—up to 42 hours; Video playback time—up to 7 hours
  • Compatibility:: Microsoft® Windows® XP, Vista, 7 or higher, Mac OS or Linux in mass storage mode
  • Computer Interface:: USB 2.0 interface

Amazon.com: Archos 7 8 GB Home Tablet with Android (Black): Electronics

MutantCheese

May 18, 2010
So after ordering the 16GB Chinese aPad 7" with Android and subsequently reading all the horror stories, I have made a corporate decision and also ordered the Archos 7 w/Android. My master plan is to use the archos for serious movie viewing and other away from home activities and hack the crap out of the Apad. Well, that's the plan anyways. I also paid for 2 day shipping on the Archos so I should get it by the 26th according to Amazon. The aPad is still somewhere in Hong Kong according to DHL tracking. I'm leaving for Seattle on the 4th of June so I need something to bring on the trip fast.

BTW, I also ordered a Droid Incredible (which is on back order until the end of may) so I'm jumping head first into the world of Android. I'm so freaking excited!!

MutantCheese

May 18, 2010
AppLibs on the Archos is a joke. There's nothing useful available that I could find.

I left the Archos to charge all night last night. Today, I was ale to watch 2 full movies with wifi on and full screen brightness. Raiders of the Lost Ark and Night at the Museum 2. Half way through the first movie, the battery indicator said 0 charge left, but it kept playing for another 2-3 hours. Possibly the battery minder needs to be calibrated. Hopefully with a few charge cycles performance will improve.

I will run a similar test tonight on the aPad when I get home.

MutantCheese

May 18, 2010
My aPad died. I charged fully last night. Turned it on this morning, visited a few sites on Skyfire. Then the unit started to become unresponsive and shut off. I turned it back on. Same thing, unresponsive, then shut off. Now, it will not power on at all. I contacted the seller for a RMA to return the unit for refund. They advised that they will email me back with the procedure once they contact the mfg. This sucks.

Looks like the Archos wins...

phoghat

Jun 26, 2010
What version of Android is the Archos running and if not the current version can it be upgraded.

machinist

Jun 27, 2010
Oke how is quality of the screen??
And is it possible to instal other programs??
Regards,
Rene
Netherlands

machinist

Jun 27, 2010
What is your experience with the archos furter?
Watching video, screen quality etcetcetc
regards

vdonatiello

Jun 17, 2010
this thread is interesting ...

like others i also would like to know which Android version has the Archos ...

i also would like to know the touch screen feeling ... i have read that iPad has a capacitive screen compare to others which are resistive screen, therefore less fast in responsiveness ... is that true?!

and like others i am considering which one to buy between Archos (which seems more serious) and Chinese iPad (which seems more avanguard)

thanks, Vito

rgp007

Jul 23, 2010
I borrowed it from a friend of mine who bought it on amazon.

The screen is quite a bit sticky, meaning you need to be slow, firm and even repeat your action a couple of times (capacitive). If you have repetitive stress syndrome, I would definitely not recommend it for anybody who has tendonitis or any other form of RSS.

The device heats up mildly, after 10 mins of usage. Its not much, cooler than holding a mug of coffee, but then you hold it withyour fingers and you can certainly feel it.

Resolution could be better (especially now that I have seen the iPad screen).

Built in cam is missing.

Ofcourse adding these things in is going to move the price point, but thats the challenge archos will face in order to be able to compete.

The android marketplace app is extremely clunky, kind of ironic.

I will wait to buy it until archos works out things, or unless I find some other android tablet before that.

archos7-android.jpg

Amazon.com is now selling the Archos 7 Android Tablet for $199!

Product Features

• 8 GB capacity for about 4000 songs, 80,000 photos, or seven full-length movies
  • Seven hours of video or 42 hours of audio on a single charge
  • Seven-inch TFT LCD touchscreen with 800x480 pixel resolution, 16m colors
  • Supports H.264/MPEG-4/Real video codecs in AVI, MP4, MKV, MOV, and FLV file formats; MP3, WMA, WAV, APE, OGG, FLAC
  • One-year limited warranty

Technical Details

• Storage:: 8 GB Flash as well as expandable through a microSDHC Slot
  • Capacity:: Up to 7 movies, 80,000 photos or 4,000 songs
  • Display:: High-resolution touchscreen, 800x480 pixels, 7-inch TFT LCD, 16 million colors with a virtual keyboard
  • Video Playback:: H.264 up to 720p resolution – 30 fps / 2.5 Mbps.; MPEG-4 up to 720p resolution – 30 fps / 6 Mbps.; Realvideo up to 720p resolution – 30 fps / 2.5 Mbps. With the aforementioned codecs, the device can play video files with the following extensions: .avi, .mp4, .mkv, .mov, and .flv M-JPEG (Motion JPEG Video) in QVGA resolution
  • Audio Playback:: MP3, WMA (non protected), WAV3, APE, OGG, FLAC, AAC3
  • Photo Viewer:: JPEG, BMP, GIF
  • Interfaces:: USB 2.0 Slave (Mass Storage Class [MSC]); USB 2.0 Host (Mass Storage Class [MSC] – connects a mass storage device or keyboard and mouse [adapter micro B/A sold separately]); Micro SDHC card
  • Communication Protocols:: Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
  • Other Features:: Two built-in speakers; built-in leg stand; built-in Microphone; composite video output (cable sold separately)
  • Power source:: Internal—Lithium Polymer battery; External—Power adapter/charger
  • Battery Life:: Music playback time—up to 42 hours; Video playback time—up to 7 hours
  • Compatibility:: Microsoft® Windows® XP, Vista, 7 or higher, Mac OS or Linux in mass storage mode
  • Computer Interface:: USB 2.0 interface

Amazon.com: Archos 7 8 GB Home Tablet with Android (Black): Electronics

vdonatiello

Jun 17, 2010
Thanks for sharing rgp007

strange i thought that capacitive screen were better in term of responsiveness compare to resistive screen ... i have been told that iPad iTouch are all capacitive and thereforte better than chines iPad which is resistive ...

another question i have is about applications ... you can find many application, books, songs on iTunes but can you use these on android?

Vito