Archos 70 8gb

tonyslim

Oct 26, 2010
I was looking at getting the Archos 70 250gb but have been advised that this would use to much power meaning it would run very slowly. Does anyone knoew if this is righT? Would the Archos 70 8gb be a better buy? I don't have a load of things to download but would it restrict the number of applications I can download?

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
I was looking at getting the Archos 70 250gb but have been advised that this would use to much power meaning it would run very slowly. Does anyone knoew if this is righT? Would the Archos 70 8gb be a better buy? I don't have a load of things to download but would it restrict the number of applications I can download?

I didn't say because it uses too much power it would run slowly. It would just use too much power, period. As for the slowly it is due to the fact that the 250 GB storage is disk based and disk based storage, aside from SSD, is inherently slower then integrated flash storage. As for applications you can download the 8GB can be augmented with an 8, 16 or 32 gig MicroSD card giving you up to 40 gig total. Android apps, if you are unfamiliar with them, are small. Small like a whole MMO, Pocket Legends, is 14 Meg in size. Most normal everyday apps range from a couple hundred Kilobytes to one or two megabytes. The majority of space will likely be used by media that you put on the device in the form of music, ebooks and videos.

babynomad

Oct 10, 2010
I agree with Darkseider - I'm currently using my daughter's Huawei 7 (telstra t-tablet) and she has so much junk loaded already - at least 50 odd applications and she still has over 30% left. I think it only has about 512mb of internal memory. So that means that 8gb would give u a bucket load of space for applications.
And again - for music, photos and videos, a 32gb micro sd with give u space for thousands of photos, hundreds of songs, and at least 1/2 dozen movies.

I too was going to get the 250gb version - but power is my main concern, since I want it primarily for reading books outside whilst camping. So don't want to be running inside to get it charged constantly.

Hopefully the 8gb ones should be in stock reading for shipping today. Can't wait. Hopefully not more than a week to arrive in Australia....

Fingers crossed

tonyslim

Oct 26, 2010
Thank you very much for your replies. I am a bit of beginner in these things and appreciate your help

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The 250 is really designed as an oversized PMP to continue that role Archos has always done well with. If you want your entire MP3 collection or mix of almost all and many movies, it is designed for that audience. The 250 will not run hot. But it will be warm, if like the prior Archos design logic. What it would do is cache 5-7 minutes (or more) to reduce drive reads of the Hard Drive. Then use a low power (and slower) drive to conserve power.

Also, Archos is famous for Serializing their drives. So do not expect to change it out for a higher capacity drive. I doubt they will have changed that model.