Archos 70 and 101 Videos Surface

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Here are a couple videos of the highly anticipated Archos tablets in action:

Archos 70 Review Part 1/2

Archos 101 Video (5 minutes)

However, a source in China is reporting that the tablets may only have Android 2.1 even right now, not the reported Android 2.2 it is supposed to ship with. One has to wonder if Archos will make it in time.

Px0nol.jpg

But the hardware design of the device with the promise of Android 2.2 at a later date will probably be enough for many to jump on the Archos Android tablet bandwagon.

Sources:
ArchosFans
Padbbs

Last edited by a moderator:

freeder

Aug 20, 2010
Looking good and smooth... :) Price vs Quality of the product... its a good bargain.

DroidSearch

Oct 11, 2010
Since Archos hasn't shipped out yet... Just Pre-Production ones... I wouldn't believe everything out there... know what I mean? I'm just waiting for the review review's! but yup! good find!

JimMariner

Dec 23, 2009
I have a 7 inch Archos, and it's not enough, I am real interested in anything 9 Inches or more that come out soon.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Here is a variable which may also play into delivery. Even though the units are manufactured in China. Archos is French company. Last week and into this week, there have been slow-downs and strikes. This can play havoc on developers and such located in France. It will not slow Global delivery. But it may slow global development. Talking to an acquaintance in France about the Strikes impact on business. There is a problem of getting to work and transport are the biggest issues. This may impede the delivery of some features.

What I am trying to say is there may be a delay in Firmware due to the French designers/Programmers getting to work

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
China is the World Capital for Making anything today! Since it can be made cheap. If they raise the hourly or salaries on those Chinese workers, then watch the profit margin drop by these Huge Electronic Companies. German base Coby getting the swing into action with 7" and 8" tablet made in China also. Why design a tablet let the Chinese Company do it already. We'll just slap our Company Name on the Product. With all the strikes and labor issues around the world they better think about keeping their jobs otherwise everything will really be made in China!

JRowe

Oct 19, 2010
The Archos 101 specs listing at the end was showing an ARM 7 processor, underclocked to 800 Mhz. Performance was pretty slick throughout the whole video.

If the new devices do contain ARM 8 chips (and I don't think there's reason to think otherwise,) then we're looking at even better performance on the consumer devices. I think there won't be any problems with firmware - there should be a large enough community of geeks with these things to handle hotfixes between official updates.

jotatsu

Oct 23, 2010
Im beggining to have doubts between my all-time-love-almost-vaporware Adam and Archos 101.

Pros of Archos 101.
- Its almost real.
- Its in my price range for a tablet.
- Capacitive touch screen.
- Good design and build quality.

Cons of archos
- Almost out of the box android.
- Hardware wise its just "right" compared to high end tablets.

Pros of notion ink.
- Tegra 2 is the most powerful ARM so far.
- Pixel Qi screen
- The rotating camera.
- Custom Android UI (not always a good thing, but so far ok).
- Good design, have to see first batch to see build quality.

Cons
- The price is only rumored, could be higher than
- Its an almost vaporware, even if it launch this year its hard to know when you can access one outside India, if there will be avaible units, etc.
- If they have a glossy screen they just lose the charm of the pixel qi screen.

I dont know what to do, i wish i have money to buy both lol.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Tegra 2 isn't stable right now. At least that's what I'm hearing.

I want to know what the Archos Gen 5s are really running on.