AT&T and 3G

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
I installed my SIM card into my S7 and added the APN settings according to one of the posts on this forum. I was testing the tablt on the bus ride home and noticed I wasn't getting 3G on the tablet, but EDGE. I have pretty good 3G coverage where I am at. Any ideas as to why that might be? THanks!!!

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^maybe this will work, make sure your phone settings are under automatic and NOT gsm only;

keep us posted.

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
^maybe this will work, make sure your phone settings are under automatic and NOT gsm only;

keep us posted.

I put it on auto and am still only getting EDGE connectivity according to the phone.

EddieS7

Dec 3, 2010
After reading all the posts on this and doing it myself. It seems there is a specific sequence to how you get this to work and at least for North East US, you can only get EDGE as it appears that WCDMA/HSPA is a european standard (mind you this is by Wikipedia's word).

I can only vouch for this working on an S7-104 in North East US using a contract AT&T SIM with a Voice and Data plan.

The steps are:
1- Root S7
2- With SIM card out of the S7, shut down and turn back on (use the power button, do not just yank the battery)
3- When the S7 is on, set the "Network Mode" to "GSM only"
4- Turn phone off (power button)
5- Insert SIM
6- Turn S7 on
-- At this point you should have phone service --
7-Go to GSM/UMTS options -> APN and create the AT&T APN as follows:
Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username:[email protected]
Password:CINGULAR1
Server: leave blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN Type: leave blank

- Remember to do a save of the APN not just back arrow or exit.

8 -Turn off S7
9 -Turn on S7

-- You should now have Phone and Data (Edge)--

Good Luck.

Last edited:

swuebbels

Nov 18, 2010
After reading all the posts on this and doing it myself. It seems there is a specific sequence to how you get this to work and at least for North East US, you can only get EDGE as it appears that WCDMA/HSPA is a european standard (mind you this is by Wikipedia's word).

I can only vouch for this working on an S7-104 in North East US using a contract AT&T SIM with a Voice and Data plan.

The steps are:
1- Root S7
2- With SIM card out of the S7, shut down and turn back on (use the power button, do not just yank the battery)
3- When the S7 is on, set the "Network Mode" to "GSM only"
4- Turn phone off (power button)
5- Insert SIM
6- Turn S7 on
-- At this point you should have phone service --
7-Go to GSM/UMTS options -> APN and create the AT&T APN as follows:
Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username:[email protected]
Password:CINGULAR1
Server: leave blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN Type: leave blank

- Remember to do a save of the APN not just back arrow or exit.

8 -Turn off S7
9 -Turn on S7

-- You should now have Phone and Data (Edge)--

Good Luck.
Eddie, I think you're a genius. I followed your advice and I am now able to get both phone and data services! Of course it's Edge and not 3g but at least it's usable.
Thank you!
Stan

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Remember to "Thank" those that help!

Eddie - nice write up! I have copied this step-by-step out and added it to the Tips and Tweaks thread with attribution.

Cheers,
P

Last edited:

swuebbels

Nov 18, 2010
Remember to "Thank" those that help!

Eddie - nice write up! I have copied this step-by-step out and added it to the Tips and Tweaks thread with attribution.

Cheers,
P
Hi. How do I add a "Thanks" to someones' profile?

Thanks & Regards,
Stan

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^glad to see its working for you on AT&T;

just as a footnote i am getting 3G in Canada on the ROGERS network so you may be able to still get 3G data;

TheVicster

Nov 14, 2010
I don't want to detract from Eddies post, good info. But I do want to say that I'm also in the NE US, my S7 is not rooted and I did not have to take all of the steps listed to get 3G, not Edge service. I also have an AT&T sim, with a contract data plan. I use the sim from my Iphone (got grandfathered in when they changed the terms, so I have unlimited data, hehhehehhe!)

My S7 is set to automatic, not GSM. Once I put the sim in, I immediately had phone service. All I had to do to get 3G data was enter the apn info found here, save, and reboot. Can't explain the differences, can only say what is.

And I don't know for sure that HSPA is a purely European standard. I can absolutely tell you that I frequently (about 90% of the time) have the HSPA indicator on. Sometimes it switches to 3G even when in the same location, but it usually says HSPA

Last edited:

EddieS7

Dec 3, 2010
I have an iPhone with the grandfathered plan as well. I did not want to use that SIM as taking it out is such a pain. The SIM I am using is from my work phone, so I do not know which of the plans it has associated with it. It is a 3G plan as on my work phone I do get 3G. I tried setting it to auto, but then it would display H then G network, but it really was not connected though it said it was. The phone service would also not work. Again the statement about HSPA was something I read on Wikipedia so not sure how valid it was. Maybe over the weekend I will try my iPhone SIM and see if that makes a difference. Maybe others will experiment too and we can get a process that works for everybody.

Eddie

swuebbels

Nov 18, 2010
It really is ironic that I too am using the SIM out of my "grandfathered" iphone 3g. I am on my third S7 and ,before today, only saw phone service once for a couple hours. I wish I could pinpoint the issue here, but I can't. All I know is that Eddie's suggestion worked for me. Later tonight I will try the automatic setting to see if I can get 3G. I'll let you know later...
Regards,
Stan

Last edited:

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
For those of you who are only getting "E"dge after following Eddie's instructions, try to switch to GSM/WCDMA under network mode after you get GSM to work. In about 5 seconds I get "H"SDPA. For whatever reason this does not persist. Upon a full power cycle or removing the SIM card you got to do it all over again. At least now I know how to get it to work consistently. I usually tether my S7 to my phone so do not normally have a SIM in it.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
Just want to add I followed Eddie's tutorial for att 3g and got the phone and messaging to work but data only ran on edge. I will have to try shanksv's suggestion. I don't really need this as a phone, but getting 3g to work would be nice knowing it will run 3g when I need it. If only edge, then it's still OK. I have a tmobile pay as you go chip as a backup with 2000 minutes on it that won't expire for a year. Great for a backup! And no settings to load for this. Just load it and it works right away. Just for phone service.

lavell

Dec 21, 2010
For those of you who are only getting "E"dge after following Eddie's instructions, try to switch to GSM/WCDMA under network mode after you get GSM to work. In about 5 seconds I get "H"SDPA. For whatever reason this does not persist. Upon a full power cycle or removing the SIM card you got to do it all over again. At least now I know how to get it to work consistently. I usually tether my S7 to my phone so do not normally have a SIM in it.

Exactly! This is the same thing that happens to me. The connection does not persist. The EDGE/HSPDA/GSM status bar at the top of the S7 is unreliable. It says you are connected but you cant be sure until you try and browse the internet.