Augen Gentouch Recommended Apps

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Can someone with a Gentouch confirm if these apps actually work?

You need to enable 'Unknown Sources' under Settings->Applications in order to install these apps.

SetCPU (free app if you register on xda developers. Download there, only if rooted)
Appbrain app info

SetCPU for Root Users [2.0.2] This *actually* changes everything. 08/02/2010 - xda-developers
Control CPU operating speed

RotateD (free from the market, but download here if you have issues. Cynosure.X International)
Appbrain app info

1.0 mirror download
You need to download ADWLauncher or LauncherPro in order to see this actually work
Rotates the screen orientation

ADWLauncher (free on market again, but in case download does not work ADW Things)
Appbrain app info

1.01 mirror download
Go into settings to allow for more icons on the desktop

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
But no one can download anything from Market App? Until they fix the bug, but looks like the did? Patch won't be out until 8/10/10.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Yes. There's a patch for the Android market on XDA developers.

cproth

Jul 26, 2010
I have Kindle on the Gentouch. It's okay. Make sure you keep your wifi on while you read....otherwise it doesn't keep up with bookmarks and forces closed @ chapters. :) Happy reading!

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
I use my Droid1 to get what i want then do an app back up in ASTRO... swap out the memory cards from my phone to my Gentouch... use the file browser app on the gentouch to find the dir "backup" on the SD then the sub folder "APP".. load astro first... after loading astro it's just a matter of reinstalling the backed up apps via astro or loading them directly from the folder wile you're there (Astro allows you to batch install, instead of clicking each individual install) ....

right now i've got...

Launcher pro.. works really well... and adds up to 7 screens and launcher dock that can be cutomized to use what ever app shortcuts you like... no mutitouch functioning but to get screen previews of all seven(or how many you have i set for) just hit the Home button..... you can download this from the developers website... www.launcherpro.com

Aldiko reader... it launched but didn't try any books..

Bible app... the Life Chrurch you version.

Real Caluclator.. best fully functioning scientific calt... but it's freak'n huge on this thing.. looks like a silver hair calc from K-mart... lol

FREEdi Video Download helper... (uses youtubes share functon to copy youtube vids to your sd card then you can watch at your leisure.. with no buffering.. :D)

Laputa reader(.. works really well.. even has a switch built in for potriat and landscape)

LED scroller.... scrolling messaging app.... works but is smaller than screen...

Melon Notes... post-it style note app... most features work but the voice to text function and the "seed" function supposed to show you the note you choose when you unlock screen.. and scince this doen't have an unlock screen... still allows you to add a widget of the note to the home screen...

Flixster Movie app..... works... and has a bult in netflix que manager ... plus streams previews... a little grainy on a screen this size..

Neo music... no longer on the market.. mp3 search and DL software (not sure if it's legal)

Opera MINI... just opened to home screen.. didn't really browse...

Pandora... logged in and saw my channels list... didn't try the streaming quality(tried it tonight 8-6.... streams well but if you're browsing at the same time the album pics kinda get jumbled, might just be my slow net connection')

Open Soduku.. looks really good on bigger screen

Quadrant Bench mark app... works .. and i'nm here to tell ya.. this tablet didn't do well at all.. lol... come on UDATE.. lol

oficial Yahoo Messenger App.. worked very well..

oficial yahoo mail app.. worked very well.. even was linked to from the messenger app

Usa tv droid.. didn't check it on full set up just checked to see if it came up.. and it did come up to channel selection..

Word Up.. Boggle like game... worked well...had to press a tad harder because of the resitive screen.. would prob be better with stylus

and Uber keyboard... all functions but voice to text...

swiftkey beta.. prob the best keyboard app for this because of it's superb word prediction.. tough i didn't especially liek it on my Droid1.. worked great here though.. deff time saver with the resistive lagg on the android default keyboard... (you can download this app in the downloads section at www.droid-life.com, they also have the high deff youtube app that came stock on the evo should work... i'm gonna try it..)

and Rotate D.. it does the job.... just with the icons for landscape and potriat were a tad diff from one another they look the same on the dock of launcher pro...

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
AppBrain has that Basketball Shot in 3D bunch of stuff. But I don't have any A/D cell phones to pull them down. On some sites you can pull down the *.app *.akp instead.

dadown

Jul 31, 2010
An easier way to install apps than messing with an SD card is to put them in a shared directory on your PC and then use the LAN option on the ES File Explorer to connect to your PC and install them from the directory.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I haven't tried some of those on your list before. Thanks for the share.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
There is a web site called: www.GetAndroidStuff.com from the blogspot.com (Google) of all places. That you click on what you want and it takes you to mediafire to pull down the *.apk and save it directly to your Gentouch microsdhc under downloads. Then I can switch to folder click on the *.apk and it installs and then open it. I got this game called Sky Force this game pretty cool but it puts the Gentouch into Port mode and everything is in the is mode including the desktop and browser. Look create but this kink it a bit tricky to get out of and back to the Land mode.

Last edited:

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
You can get a few apps from the downlaod section of www.droid-life.com these will go straight to your download folder and then you can install from there... I seriously suggest the swiftkey keyboard... it has a WOW factor for predictive entry that helps tremendously on this device... it's a beta app but it runs really well.. have used it on my moto droid for some time.. and with the OS update that includes the calibrate it works great on the Gen7_8 too.. plus an updated youtube app that brings up the vids in HQ mode by default. it's the same on that on the HTC EVO... works great here too because you don't have to wait on the lagg of the 3g.. :D

skyfire is a neat browser that redirects flash vid to it's servers and then back out as html5 to the device... worked onmy droid didn't try on gen.. will later and let you know.... (dosen't work on hulu though.. hulu blocks it on their end.. :( )

check it out.. a few that i'm sure will functuion great..