Best Rom to update Nook Color???

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
No bob...its when you pull up the menu in most apps or from the homescreen

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
Wow this has become quite a thread already

I personally think almost any ROM on these forums will make you happy. I'm personally running phiremod v3 @ 1.1 ghz and I love it. The only problems with it is that the youtube app doesnt work and battery consumption is a little fast, but each of the ROM's has one or two quirks about it. I would start with phiremod v2 like you did, I only went to v3 because the 1.1ghz kernel seemed snappier with games like pocket legend and gun bros.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
@bob I like the way that launcher pro was setup on the sd versions, do you know what settings I could change to make the internal phiremod version the same as the sd version was?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well, I know there is a enable auto-rotation in the behavior settings in Preferences.

It changes it from side/side to up/down in the app drawer for me.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
@darmeen App Drawer Style changed from Horizontal paginated to Vertical plain. That fixed that. Now how to I get Home Button on right of draw instead of 3 icons.

bobsilver

Jan 10, 2011
@bob I like the way that launcher pro was setup on the sd versions, do you know what settings I could change to make the internal phiremod version the same as the sd version was?

The other setting is the animations on the home screen. Hadnt seen that before. It is in the settings. You want the flip. And not Launcher Pro specific but the the sd version also used gtab simi clock for the time. Playing with it now. And it was part of Phiremod.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
@darmeen UI Settings>Main Dock Style>None (expand desktop)

No home just use nook button

Now trying to get rid of the dots - Desktop dots check box has no effect

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
The other setting is the animations on the home screen. Hadnt seen that before. It is in the settings. You want the flip. And not Launcher Pro specific but the the sd version also used gtab simi clock for the time. Playing with it now. And it was part of Phiremod.

Let me know if you get it working.

bobsilver

Jan 10, 2011
Larry,

Yes the Launcher Pro settings work fine. No issues. In fact everything seems fine with the install except ironically Root Explorer menu text is all screwed up.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
@darmeen I was confused, the phiremod nook BETA2 is using ADW Settings, Not Launcher Pro. Since the text was in Black I did not notice this until now when I held it down and actually read it. No wonder my replies seemed strange since I was applying similiar features in a different launcher. Thanks for your help after backing up maybe I will actually load Launcher Pro.

BobSilver "Also finding Launcher Pro to work very nice with this. That was what the Froyo .6.8 had installed" statement I missed interrupted to thinking that was what the default install loaded.

Last edited:

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
Phiremod BETA 2 questions - possible solutions

1. Softkey issues - resolve by installing a different launcher?
2. YouTube audio keeps playing - reboot the nook, any other solutions?
3. Voice not able to text message with - uninstall and then side install a different version?
4. Video playback audio sync problems - run Advanced Task Killer, Select movie using file app and use VitalPlayer Neon (initially set to hardware acceleration), pause video then play
5. App for this forum and XDA fc when you log in - use the purchased version, Tapatalk, that works for all forums

2 fix - went into Applications > Manage Applications cleared cache and cleared data for youtube, played a youtube selection, still problem, rebooted, used soft key's menu and relogged in with
google account now seems to work correctly - having used more and rebooting went bad again. Has anybody tried using Titanium Backup to delete the current version of YouTube and then using Market to load an updated version? Just trying the update from market fails to complete successfully with the original version. Update: Just did the delete and load new one from market, same audio problem.

Found that killing the Mediaserver will stop audio without rebooting. Sideloaded the apk found here.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=964933

3. fix - used Titanium Backup to restore Google Voice 0.4.2.13 (app only overwrite system app), rebooted system, ran voice and it had an option to skip over part that was blocking me before

With flash from the browser (user agent for Dolphin mini browser switch from android to desktop) and the fixes above there is alot to like about this ROM!

Last edited:

bobsilver

Jan 10, 2011
One of the strange things I am encountering with Phiremod is that several of my apps that I had used on Eclair do not display properly on this ROM. The issue is that while they work they show up as a small phone display where before they were full screen. I have seen this on some games (which I dont care much about) but now on Mint, Startup Cleaner and some other utilities. Is there any work around for this?

On another note I find once I use softkeys I cannot kill it. I must go into the apps section under services and kill it from there. Softkeys has been crashing at times. Is this normal on this rom? In Eclair I was able to kill it via task manager. Now when I try that it comes back to life a minute later.