Best Rom to update Nook Color???

toniann

Feb 11, 2011
So I rooted my NC to froyo 2.2. I really like the way it runs but the only issue I have is that I can no longer read borrowed library books since my NC is no longer recognized by adobe digital editions. Is there any way to get around this. I downloaded overdrive but I was not able to activate my device.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
@toniann - Could restore Eclair 2.1 and use the sd card version of froyo 2.2 found at xda. Be sure to use a good class 6 or class 10 sd card as it makes a difference. Class 4 cards are ok but slow, class 2 cards are not good for the SD version.

To run 2.2 keep your froyo SD card in. To run 2.1 pull your froyo 2.2 SD card and optionally substitute a straight data SD card.

I used sd froyo 2.2 both with a Sandisk 8gb class 4 and transferred everything over to a Lexmar 8gb class 6 I found on sale at Target for $19.95 plus a usb adapter. It was almost as fast as the emmc version with all the options working. BobSilver mentioned that he used a class 10 4gb card he bought at Frys for $14.95 and that he also picked up a class 6 card at Frys but did not use yet.

Last edited:

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
I used root uninstaller to get rid of it bob.

Thanks for the info. Do you guys on my mac have any reason why the Thanks button comes and goes? I really want to use it but like on this post it is not there. Note I have used Thanks for this post yet so there should be no reason why it is not there.

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
One of the strange things I am encountering with Phiremod is that several of my apps that I had used on Eclair do not display properly on this ROM. The issue is that while they work they show up as a small phone display where before they were full screen. I have seen this on some games (which I dont care much about) but now on Mint, Startup Cleaner and some other utilities. Is there any work around for this?

On another note I find once I use softkeys I cannot kill it. I must go into the apps section under services and kill it from there. Softkeys has been crashing at times. Is this normal on this rom? In Eclair I was able to kill it via task manager. Now when I try that it comes back to life a minute later.

I loaded Advanced Task Killer Froyo by ReChild he has both a KILL selected apps and Service button. You could use the Service Button to bring up list that includes touch to stop for the SoftKeysService. I need to keep it running since I have not yet tried to modify the volume buttons to menu/back. P.S. I also added an app Volume by USEFUL TOOL to my notification bar just incase I decided to modify the volume buttons.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Just a note with Froyo you probably do not want to have your task killer set to auto. If will work against the Froyo OS. I use a mini task killer and only kill what is necessary manually. Never kill setcpu, gmail, clocks, etc.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Do you guys on my mac have any reason why the Thanks button comes and goes? I really want to use it but like on this post it is not there. Note I have used Thanks for this post yet so there should be no reason why it is not there.

Its the 'Orchard' fighting against an android forum! :)

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
@ Stelv and Darmeen - Hey Stelv, another Orchard person. I also have Windows 7 and XP but don't like what can happen when we start exploring Android possibilities in some of the envirnoments that we get into over here. I am using an old eMac Safari 10.4 usb 1. Luckily most android files are small and the mounts for different ROMs are really convenient over here at the Orchard. Windows is manytimes easier for some of my androids episodes. I use which ever is easier.

@ StelvI just checked and default Auto Kill Level is Disable. I already had setcpu on ignore list and just added gmail. Will keep an eye to see what others I should put on the ignore list. I guess I will have to try firefox, sometimes they don't keep up real well with the old macs.

Added Voice to ignore list.

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Life here at the Orchard is sweet, lol. But I am lucky my girlfriend has a pc, because it comes in handy at times. If not firefox maybe google chrome.

arus

Feb 23, 2011
Guys, this thread is really useful, thank you all for your comments! If possible, i would like to ask you guys more acquainted with FLASHING ROMs, whom already tasted the sweetness of many ROMS, to give us noobs some of your impressions. I'm seeing that great improvement is being made by CM regarding DSP, Phiremod moved from Froyo to Ginger, the coming of UD etc. and everything is really overwhelming regarding the decision of the daily driver... What i think it would be really usefull would be to know the PROs and CONs of each ROM that you guys tested. Bob did a great job describing why he finally chose the FROYO for his daily driver... If you guys could do the same, letting us know what made us guys pick a X Rom... Ultimatelly is a personal decision but would be nice get more opinions !!!

Thanks in advance and for your patience and time !!!!
PS.: I’m aware that there is a POLL asking which is your daily driver but the reason why the choice was made is missing...

jyams

Feb 20, 2011
I use Phiremod 5.1. Reasons are that for me, all the functionality I really need runs stable and fast. I do not need YouTube, however, will welcome it's bug free operation when it is perfected in Gingerbread. In the meantime, all my email accounts, news readers, and calendar apps run flawlessly. Wifi is never an issue for me. When not at home I connect with wifiTether to my Evo and I'm good to get online anywhere, anytime. I take my Nook with me to lunch everyday and catch up on all the news and current events. Even tho I can use my Evo phone similarly, it's easier to use my Nook tethered to my phone and work at the restaurant or breakroom the last few minutes before i return to my office. I manage a division of a small specialized software company. Several of our exec team have Ipads. The first time I whipped my NookColor out in a meeting there were many curious eyes and onlookers. Even the Ipad guys thought my setup on the Nook was very functional (always online with my Evo phone) and loved the size and speed of the software. I did several demos for some of them, and now they want me to show them how to root theirs like mine. Plus, the Ipad guys paid $700 for theirs and I got two Nooks on Ebay almost brand new with Nook branded covers and SD cards for an average of $220 a piece. If you watch carefully, stay out of the bidding wars, and purchase something fairly new from a reputable seller, I've had good experiences so far. I just cannot justify spending $$600 for a Samsung Galaxy Tablet when a Nook is so similar at such a lower price. I don't need the camera, or the microphone, or the service contract. I get what I want out of the Nook as far as productivity goes, and have my Cell phone for everything else, including the camera and microphone. It all boils down to the features you want and are willing to pay for. that's my 2 cents worth and why I am Pro-NookColor!

Detonation

Mar 19, 2011
Just got a nook and put phiremod beta on their since it was the most recommended. Unfortunately some of the annoyances like the black on black text (no status bar clock) and odd sizing of some UI elements (like the ADW icon remove/edit options and other stuff that is clipped) are bothering me, but I don't know if these are just things I'll have to learn to deal with, given the developmental nature of the Nook. I guess I will try Nookie Froyo and maybe UD Gingerbread and go from there.

On the flip side, I had absolutely no issues getting the market to work. Didn't even have to do the Youtube thing. Just opened Gmail, signed in, and everything was good to go.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Guys, this thread is really useful, thank you all for your comments! If possible, i would like to ask you guys more acquainted with FLASHING ROMs, whom already tasted the sweetness of many ROMS, to give us noobs some of your impressions. I'm seeing that great improvement is being made by CM regarding DSP, Phiremod moved from Froyo to Ginger, the coming of UD etc. and everything is really overwhelming regarding the decision of the daily driver... What i think it would be really usefull would be to know the PROs and CONs of each ROM that you guys tested. Bob did a great job describing why he finally chose the FROYO for his daily driver... If you guys could do the same, letting us know what made us guys pick a X Rom... Ultimatelly is a personal decision but would be nice get more opinions !!!

Thanks in advance and for your patience and time !!!!
PS.: I’m aware that there is a POLL asking which is your daily driver but the reason why the choice was made is missing...

:cool:CM7 nightlies:cool:
Mostly because it is the most advanced, full features and the closest thing to plain vanilla Android.
Bluetooth:), built in oc kernal, video/DSP is almost there, and it is fast, really fast. Great battery life, I get 10+hrs depending on settings. I have also been running CM ROMs on my Aria since I rooted it last summer so I know my way around. I have CM7n on that as well.

The Nightly Update Bot is up and almost worry free so updates/notifications/downloads are largely automated at this point. It works for me anyway.

Plus it just keeps getting better.......

:rolleyes:every night.:rolleyes:

arus

Feb 23, 2011
I use Phiremod 5.1. Reasons are that for me, all the functionality I really need runs stable and fast. I do not need YouTube, however, will welcome it's bug free operation when it is perfected in Gingerbread. In the meantime, all my email accounts, news readers, and calendar apps run flawlessly. Wifi is never an issue for me. When not at home I connect with wifiTether to my Evo and I'm good to get online anywhere, anytime. I take my Nook with me to lunch everyday and catch up on all the news and current events. Even tho I can use my Evo phone similarly, it's easier to use my Nook tethered to my phone and work at the restaurant or breakroom the last few minutes before i return to my office. I manage a division of a small specialized software company. Several of our exec team have Ipads. The first time I whipped my NookColor out in a meeting there were many curious eyes and onlookers. Even the Ipad guys thought my setup on the Nook was very functional (always online with my Evo phone) and loved the size and speed of the software. I did several demos for some of them, and now they want me to show them how to root theirs like mine. Plus, the Ipad guys paid $700 for theirs and I got two Nooks on Ebay almost brand new with Nook branded covers and SD cards for an average of $220 a piece. If you watch carefully, stay out of the bidding wars, and purchase something fairly new from a reputable seller, I've had good experiences so far. I just cannot justify spending $$600 for a Samsung Galaxy Tablet when a Nook is so similar at such a lower price. I don't need the camera, or the microphone, or the service contract. I get what I want out of the Nook as far as productivity goes, and have my Cell phone for everything else, including the camera and microphone. It all boils down to the features you want and are willing to pay for. that's my 2 cents worth and why I am Pro-NookColor!

Just got a nook and put phiremod beta on their since it was the most recommended. Unfortunately some of the annoyances like the black on black text (no status bar clock) and odd sizing of some UI elements (like the ADW icon remove/edit options and other stuff that is clipped) are bothering me, but I don't know if these are just things I'll have to learn to deal with, given the developmental nature of the Nook. I guess I will try Nookie Froyo and maybe UD Gingerbread and go from there.

On the flip side, I had absolutely no issues getting the market to work. Didn't even have to do the Youtube thing. Just opened Gmail, signed in, and everything was good to go.

:cool:CM7 nightlies:cool:
Mostly because it is the most advanced, full features and the closest thing to plain vanilla Android.
Bluetooth:), built in oc kernal, video/DSP is almost there, and it is fast, really fast. Great battery life, I get 10+hrs depending on settings. I have also been running CM ROMs on my Aria since I rooted it last summer so I know my way around. I have CM7n on that as well.

The Nightly Update Bot is up and almost worry free so updates/notifications/downloads are largely automated at this point. It works for me anyway.

Plus it just keeps getting better.......

:rolleyes:every night.:rolleyes:

Thanks to your replies !!! It would be nice to hear from Rico, Darmeen and Faceman :)

And Bob, dont know if you are reading this post, are you still in Froyo ????
Thanks again to all !!!:cool: