Bit the bullet, ordered the nc.

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
I noticed you mentioned nightlies initially but reference the RC1 in your second paragraph. These are different things. The RC indicates Release Candidate which means almost ready for prime time. Most but not all the bugs have been worked out and it can be used as a daily driver. The nightlies are a different story. They are quite literally the bleeding edge. They will work but not always. They also require a bit more to maintain and often throw up surprises. Not trying to dissuade you, I just want to make sure you have everything straight.
LS.

Ok, I'll look at that again. I guess that makes sense about the backup. I am still programmed with rooting/modding the Droid X. Almost every guide you see for rooting includes making a backup of the device stock. The reason for that on the X, (which probably doesnt apply to the NC), is that in order to get any OTA updates, you have to be on the stock ROM, with all bloatware intact and running. I thought it would be the same way for this, however, if getting back to stock is as simple as flashing another image, I may not mess with it.

EDIT: Nevermind. I did some more reading, and I figured it out. I just downloaded the latest nightly, and am about to put it on the sd card. It's amazing what a little "SEARCH"ing can turn up!

I meant to go with the nightlies, but must have gotten the wrong file. The guide that I was going from had links all over the place for more detailed instructions, and sources, and what-not so I picked up the wrong file. I'll look back and figure out what zip I need for nightlies. Is it just the latest build? Or do I have to install CM7,and then update it from their nightly release page CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution ?

Thanks again everyone for helping me sort through this!! I promise I won't need much help once I get hands on this device!!

Last edited:

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
The CM7 nightlies thread that I pointed you to is all you need. You can flash the nightly from a bootable CWR sd everything you need is there. Just be sure to :)"wipe your cache before you flash":) you should be fine. The trick really is to remember all three zips when you boot from clockwork.:confused: Made that mistake on n11 and forgot the gapps.:confused:

The mirror link you have is ostensibly updated "nightly". There have been a few hiccups in the schedule but as I said the rom just keeps getting better. Most of the mods here stay updated on the CM forums so if there is an issue word spreads fairly quickly. The nightly forum on CM is strictly user to user but if you have serious issues and can't find an answer you can post and someone will get back to you. With that being said you can usually get the answers you need here.

The important thing to remember about the NC that makes it different from Android handsets is that the boot priority is locked to the sd slot. You can completely demolish the internal memory, file structure, etc and slap a CWR sd in and make it all better in ...wait for it...a flash. It is beautiful feature that I was not aware of till I found this fine forum, Faceman in particular, see my tribute to him here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/8462-heartfelt-thanks-nook-ninja-faceman.html He helped me through a rather traumatic first 24hrs of NC ownership as I thought I had a shiny $250 paperweight on my hands. Which is why I am here to help any other adopters of this fine little machine.

Sorry, I have a habit of rambling. Bottom line, you should be all good.

tumblr_leaybuOtBO1qe0eclo1_r5_500.gif

Again, Welcome.

LS

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Ok, I'll look at that again. I guess that makes sense about the backup. I am still programmed with rooting/modding the Droid X. Almost every guide you see for rooting includes making a backup of the device stock. The reason for that on the X, (which probably doesnt apply to the NC), is that in order to get any OTA updates, you have to be on the stock ROM, with all bloatware intact and running. I thought it would be the same way for this, however, if getting back to stock is as simple as flashing another image, I may not mess with it.

EDIT: Nevermind. I did some more reading, and I figured it out. I just downloaded the latest nightly, and am about to put it on the sd card. It's amazing what a little "SEARCH"ing can turn up!

I meant to go with the nightlies, but must have gotten the wrong file. The guide that I was going from had links all over the place for more detailed instructions, and sources, and what-not so I picked up the wrong file. I'll look back and figure out what zip I need for nightlies. Is it just the latest build? Or do I have to install CM7,and then update it from their nightly release page CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution ?

Thanks again everyone for helping me sort through this!! I promise I won't need much help once I get hands on this device!!

AVI's guide is good, as well as my install diary in my sig. The Mirror link you have here is the right place to find the latest nightly and what most folks are running as far as CM7 is concerned. Since you are planning to go straight to a CM7 install I am going to recommend that you DO do a nand backup before flashing. Let me explain.

First thing you want to do with a NC before rooting is go ahead and complete the B&N registration steps to get it up and running. Make sure the device functions as intended to eliminate any possibility of hardware problems. Power down the NC, insert bootable CWR SD and create a backup. SAVE THIS BACKUP, and keep it on the bootable SD card. If you ever have to restore to stock as there are many threads about, you can skip straight to "Restore MY PERSONAL, ALREADY B&N REGISTERED, STOCK image" and will save you a few steps. Of course, that is one needed if you want to warranty the device, as this backup puts you in the state before you rooted anything. But still, handy to have just in case. Then you want to follow through with installing whatever it is you plan to install (basic root, eMMC rom, CM7, phiremod, whatever) and again, once you complete successfully the install process, repeat the creating of a nand backup to the bootable SD card. Now this backup of a freshly set up (rooted) device is your REAL fall back.
If anything strange happens to your NC, pop in this bootable SD card, restore this backup and you can skip ALL of the restore, reroot, etc. steps. :)

Enjoy. and, Back up often!

armyjeffries

Feb 23, 2011
Thanks face. So its basically the same story here as with the x forums. Make an original backup, and backup any time I want to change anything.

I actually have backups of 3 different ROMs right now for the X. All set up with all my apps, texts, titanium backup, and everything. Very easy way to compare ROMs. Try one out for a few days, switch and try the next.

I think I've figured out what I'm going to be doing tomorrow. Again, thanks everyone for the guidance.

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
I discovered this forum after jumping on the EBay B&N deal -- I'm amazed at the amount of helpful info here...much like my past experiences over on the droidforum.net. However, since I didn't have a burning need to root my original Droid, rooting my NC, once it arrives (Monday), is going to be a new adventure. The more I read these strings, the more I'm aware of my need to just learn all the lingo & acronyms! I've been clipping some of the dialog & pasting it into a Word document, for future reference. I anticipate that I'll need it.

As with my Droid experience, thanks (in advance) to all the contributors for your patient hand-holding. After decades of working in a highly technical field, I'm still in awe of the rapidity of the changes.

This is gonna be fun...

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I discovered this forum after jumping on the EBay B&N deal -- I'm amazed at the amount of helpful info here...much like my past experiences over on the droidforum.net. However, since I didn't have a burning need to root my original Droid, rooting my NC, once it arrives (Monday), is going to be a new adventure. The more I read these strings, the more I'm aware of my need to just learn all the lingo & acronyms! I've been clipping some of the dialog & pasting it into a Word document, for future reference. I anticipate that I'll need it.

As with my Droid experience, thanks (in advance) to all the contributors for your patient hand-holding. After decades of working in a highly technical field, I'm still in awe of the rapidity of the changes.

This is gonna be fun...

Uh oh, 2 Vic's! Man, are we in trouble now! :)

Welcome to the craziness...it is a lot of fun, just always remember to be patient, and don't panic if something doesn't go right.

vico512

Mar 2, 2011

Welcome to the craziness...it is a lot of fun, just always remember to be patient, and don't panic if something doesn't go right.

Yeah, it appears that we have both extremes of the knowledge spectrum now covered!

Cheers.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The important thing to remember about the NC that makes it different from Android handsets is that the boot priority is locked to the sd slot. You can completely demolish the internal memory, file structure, etc and slap a CWR sd in and make it all better in ...wait for it...a flash.

Love this gem burried in the middle of LS's post :D

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Love this gem burried in the middle of LS's post :D

Why thank you...

I strive to elucidate, educate, and entertain, not necessarily in that order.

If I succeed at one of the three, the effort is more than worth it.

tumblr_lbsnx36KF31qe0eclo1_r3_500.gif

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
profilepic14664_1.gif
LS,

I thought we weren't allowed self-portraits?

:O
:)I am only assuming here, but my guess is this isn't an actual picture of you?:)

LOL

I am at the point now where I feel as though a post without an interesting photo or gif is a failure. Believe me when I say I have been actively burning up the interwebs in search of surprising content.:cool:
Also I only really resembled the character above when I inadvertently maligned my Nook mere hours after unwrapping it. I'm all better now.

Yo Face any word on n13 or n14 for the superstitious? Just curious if you had heard anything...

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
First, that IS an actual picture of me, and it's too small to really see, but I have a 2 1/2" gaps in my lip and face from a high stick I took just a few minutes before that shot was taken. For those that care, I finished my shift, that game, and the game after before going for stitches. Now my ugly mug is even uglier.

Second, a working Nook is a clean Nook. A broken Nook is an expensive mirror.

Third, no news yet, but we have a flashable CWR update finally so folks don't have to attemp adb just to get the latest recovery version. This puts me one step closer to my big surprise write-up/release. wink wink (it's not really that cool but I like to build myself up sometimes, makes the fall so much more fun, and last longer)

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
:cool:Thanks brother, always appreciative of the updates.:cool:

That whole CWR thread yesterday was a fustercluck of the highest order. You were the better man and thus came out ahead. Keep that in mind. As one who readily let my frustration get the better of me in times past :mad: the winner is always the one who treats the other team with respect, regardless of what the scoreboard reads.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

There goes the neighborhood. :)

Good advice Vic #1