Blackberry Tablet Forum / Blackberry Playbook Forum

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
Now that RIM has announced that the Blackberry Playbook Tablet will be able to run Android apps I figured we could use a section here for it. I think it will actually be one of the better (and cheaper) tablets out there and hopefully we'll see some widespread Android support for the device.

What does everyone think?

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
Most people are discounting the PlayBook already but I feel that this could take everyone by surprise. The OS is very slick and true to its multitasking feature (could be better than Android's Honeycomb). Before Honeycomb was released, the QNX OS is what all tablets (including Apple) should have aimed for. Honeycomb or really Xoom was released first so RIM lost a great opportunity to get a true multitasking tablet on the market first. (Lets be honest Android 2.x is not a great multi-tasking OS on a tablet or even on a phone. My opinion.) Anyhow as I noted in my blog, the ability to run Android apps is a win and a loss for RIM. Its a win because those on the fence now have access to the Android market. Its a loss because RIM is in a way doubting its ability to compete on the apps (which is true). Unfortunately, again RIM being late, this feature will not be available until the summer. It maybe too late by then but we'll see.

We are planning to do a full individual reviews on the PlayBook and the Xoom. In addition, we will do a comparison review between the two. Watch our blog or follow us on Twitter for the latest updates.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I am Canadian, and I honestly do not care for the PlayBook at all. By supporting Android applications, it guarantees a flop for dedicated PlayBook applications. I see it as a desperation move.

While this will probably see moderate success in corporate environments, it is meaningless for consumers like me.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
I am Canadian, and I honestly do not care for the PlayBook at all. By supporting Android applications, it guarantees a flop for dedicated PlayBook applications. I see it as a desperation move.

While this will probably see moderate success in corporate environments, it is meaningless for consumers like me.

I think they will move some units but I agree it smells of desperation for RIM. Curiously, they are selling phones like gangbusters in other countries, just not the US.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Wait... Just realized that Engadget says the whole thing about Android apps is optional (RIM adds Android app support to BlackBerry PlayBook via 'optional app player' -- Engadget).

And it wont be for a while
BlackBerry PlayBook users and developers who are interested in seeing the new app players for BlackBerry Java and Android apps can see demos at BlackBerry World in Orlando, Florida (May 3 to 5, 2011) (BlackBerry World Conference for BlackBerry Users).
Anyways, I guess this is good for corporations looking at running Android applications. This device hopefully ends up a lot more secure than any Android tablet out there. At the end of the day, it is not an Android device. It makes more sense to focus on IDC rather than emulated Android apps designed for phones running in RIM's proprietary tablet.

Optional means devs wont care about this either.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
RIM has never really done a good job in the regular consumer market. Most people I know who have a BlackBerry use it "because" of work.

I think the PlayBook looks nice, but I don't see it being a big hit.

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
We know that there are basically two camps in the tablet (and smartphone) world: Apple & Android loyalists. There are people who will only buy Apple products and those who only buy products with Android. Then you have a third camp (people who do not know anything about technology or are undecided). No one knows whether the PlayBook will be successful or not. People in the third camp will be the ones who may buy it. We know that Android or Apple folks are not going to buy the PlayBook. The PlayBook makes sense for the corporate market. If someone has a BlackBerry, the PlayBook would be extension of it especially when working remotely. I know (as I have been through it in the past) that working remotely from a BlackBerry is difficult. Working on a 7" tablet would be easier. The consumer market will be tougher to crack. RIM may get a small share of the consumer market but realistically they maybe a distant third in the tablet market.

paulinebca

Jun 3, 2011
I am a Canadian and LOVE this tablet. I use it at work as a teaching aid in High School, and at home my children enjoy many of the apps. The book reader is great, but I do wish I could download (kindle type) books from Amazon.

I have to admit the original set up was a challenge as I couldn't get the pages to swipe easily!

I am very interested in using the Android apps but not sure how to get them to work on Playbook. The video I saw suggested you need to download a "player" but did not say where. Can I just use third party apps IF I do this, or is it a trip to the app store?

The easy to use tablet, good video display and sound, just seem excellent to me.

stax0798

Jun 7, 2011
I bought mine for £349 with a discount code a friend gave me for devicewire, i was really happy with the service i ordered and my playbook was delivered in like 5 days :)
Cheapest place so far, here's the code if you want it faceberryplaybook#0206100 use this on ordering it on Devicewire — Welcome

They are really good and i had no problems what so ever xx

2badcards

Aug 3, 2011
i am a developer and I want to start making apps for mobile devices, already started with Android.

Why do you like and buy a Blackberry Tablet when you have the iPads and Androids? This segmentation of the mobile market is still a strange thing to me.

Jun 29, 2011
My sister plans on getting a Playbook for her husband because it integrates into his Blackberry phone, his work phone, to make things easier for him.
I went with an Android , gave my ipad to my kids, because it integrates app wise with most apps on my Android phone. No need to buy twice like with my ipad/Incredible combo.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

Topman

Sep 13, 2011
blackberry tablets is differently not famous at all compared to other tablets, i wonder why :confused:

americandane

Oct 27, 2011
Most people are discounting the PlayBook already but I feel that this could take everyone by surprise. The OS is very slick and true to its multitasking feature (could be better than Android's Honeycomb). Before Honeycomb was released, the QNX OS is what all tablets (including Apple) should have aimed for. Honeycomb or really Xoom was released first so RIM lost a great opportunity to get a true multitasking tablet on the market first. (Lets be honest Android 2.x is not a great multi-tasking OS on a tablet or even on a phone. My opinion.) Anyhow as I noted in my blog, the ability to run Android apps is a win and a loss for RIM. Its a win because those on the fence now have access to the Android market. Its a loss because RIM is in a way doubting its ability to compete on the apps (which is true). Unfortunately, again RIM being late, this feature will not be available until the summer. It maybe too late by then but we'll see.

We are planning to do a full individual reviews on the PlayBook and the Xoom. In addition, we will do a comparison review between the two. Watch our blog or follow us on Twitter for the latest updates.

I think the Playbook hardware is great, but, seriously, other than Windows there is no OS which could oust Android over the next few years. There is a price point for the Playbook with it's unique OS, but it is crippled by the lack of a full android path. The company is already in a struggle and unlikely to try to make this device evolve. I don't blame them, but they (and HP) were really stupid for trying their own weird OS. Very similar to the IBM clone days when someone would come up with a neat computer but then were too stupid to make is Dos-compatible.