Bluetooth GPS

jdog

Jan 26, 2011
I'm in the process of comparing tablets for a mid february purchase. Right now I've narrowed it down to the NC and the ViewSonic G tab. Since I've obviously posted in the NC thread you can tell which way I'm leaning. ;) I did notice, however, that someone figured out how to do bluetooth GPS sharing with the G tab. Here's the link to the post: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...0-bluetooth-gps-g-tab-skymap-nav-working.html

Has anyone had any luck doing this on the NC?

Forgive me if this has been covered in a prev thread. I searched and found nothing specific to the Nook.

From a technical standpoint, is there anything else about the NC that frustrates you guys that I should consider in my comparisons?

-Jason

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I'm in the process of comparing tablets for a mid february purchase. Right now I've narrowed it down to the NC and the ViewSonic G tab. Since I've obviously posted in the NC thread you can tell which way I'm leaning. ;) I did notice, however, that someone figured out how to do bluetooth GPS sharing with the G tab. Here's the link to the post: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...0-bluetooth-gps-g-tab-skymap-nav-working.html

Has anyone had any luck doing this on the NC?

Forgive me if this has been covered in a prev thread. I searched and found nothing specific to the Nook.

From a technical standpoint, is there anything else about the NC that frustrates you guys that I should consider in my comparisons?

-Jason

The bluetooth on the NC is not enabled at this time. Other than not having bt, I'm happy with everything about the NC and it's development.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I am the person that wrote up the process, and also have a Nook. No technical reason it wouldn't work here via wifi if you share that way. Just keep in mind, one is the best ereader made, hands-down, and the other is a kick-butt tablet. Which do you want more? A tablet that can run Nook, or an ereader you can do tablet things on?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I am the person that wrote up the process, and also have a Nook. No technical reason it wouldn't work here via wifi if you share that way. Just keep in mind, one is the best ereader made, hands-down, and the other is a kick-butt tablet. Which do you want more? A tablet that can run Nook, or an ereader you can do tablet things on?

pbrauer, you seem to believe the Nook color is a ereader playing a tablet when in fact it is a tablet locked down to only be an ereader. To be honest both devices are tablets running Android operating system, and although different versions, neither is running Android 3.0, which will be their first os made for tablets. It is true the Viewsonic is much faster than the Nook color and has more features but again, don't be mistaken both are very much tablets.

Here are the breakdowns:

Nook Color
OS - Android 2.1
Screen - 7" Multi-touch Capacitive TFT LCD with 1024 x 600 resolution (169 dpi), anti-glare, 178° viewing angle
Processor - 800 mHz Cortex A8 processor
Ram - 512 MB
Internal storage - 8GB (1GB app space), microSD card slot supporting up to 32GB
4010mAh battery, 8 hrs
WiFi b/g/n
Bluetooth (none at the moment, likely enabled with custom rom)
3.5 mm stereo headphone jack
1 mono speaker
micro usb port
Size - 205mm x 128mm x 12mm
Weight - 447g

Viewsonic G tab
OS - Android 2.2
Screen - 10.1" Multi-touch Capacitive TFT LCD with 1024 x 600 resolution (118 dpi), LED driver system
Processor - 1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU
Ram - 512 MB
Internal storage - 16GB (1.6GB app space), microSD card slot supporting up to 32GB
Front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera
3,650mAh battery, 8 hrs
WiFi b/g/n
Bluetooth
3.5 mm stereo headphone jack
micro usb port
usb port
Dock for HDMI/Headphone/USB (optional)
Size - 267mm x 173mm x 14mm
Weight - 703g

So the real questions one will want to ask themselves are how much are you willing to pay at this time, what size will you be comfortable with and what features are important to you?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Not what I was saying at all about the Nook. The point I was trying to make was simply there is no better reader than the Nook. When you run it on other devices, it is close but there are things you give up. Form factor is important, as is design.

So if you look at my note, FIRST I say there is no technical reason it wont work. SECOND, I clearly say the Nook is capable of running as a tablet. All it comes down to is form factor and design. It is the same OS and app after that. Bigger screen, faster processor, plus a couple of nice other features for the GTab. Pocket size and nicer design in my opinion for the nook.

I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't think it was high value, if all I wanted was an ereader, I would have bought a Kindle.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
This is refreshing. A Nook vs. Viewsonic deathmatch, instead of Nook vs. Hauwei. Change is good. ;)

Peter, I thought it was your daughter's Nook? You sound like you've spent some serious time with it. I can no longer pry the one I bought from my wife's fingers. :(

-Matt

jdog

Jan 26, 2011
I didn't mean to start a death match. I guess there is enough disparity in the market to make decisions difficult. I work for a software company and we have our own death match going on over android vs apple. I really want something worth showing off that is 1/2 the price of an ipad. The other factor is I really wanted to spend less than $250 which might make the Nook a no brainer.
Thanks for the feedback. If the NC gets bluetooth before mid feb. It will make my decision a lot easier.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I didn't mean to start a death match. I guess there is enough disparity in the market to make decisions difficult. I work for a software company and we have our own death match going on over android vs apple. I really want something worth showing off that is 1/2 the price of an ipad. The other factor is I really wanted to spend less than $250 which might make the Nook a no brainer.
Thanks for the feedback. If the NC gets bluetooth before mid feb. It will make my decision a lot easier.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App
Oh no, please pardon my sarcasm. :) I think the other guys knew I meant it as a joke. The truth is this forum has lots of dedicated owners, so it's natural that many are partial to a particular device. Except Peter...he has many. gurgle too. And I think Tipstir...he may have THEM ALL.

I've been pretty impressed at reviews of the Viewsonic, and what it can do. My sense though is give it a month, and it will look like a cheap toy compared to the newer Android Tablets. For $250, I think Nook owners pinch themselves every morning and wonder if they're dreaming. It's just such a nice, unexpected experience for such an inexpensive device. And there's every reason to think it will get better in the next few months.

RE: GPS, I wonder if you have a special reason to use it. It's such a common feature on smart phones, I'd guess half the Nook owners here don't need it on their (ahem) "tablet" because they've already got it on an Android phone...which also makes calling unnecessary on the Nook. It's obviously not an all-in-one device, but what it does, it does exceptionally well.

But keep us posted on what you end up choosing!

-Matt

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
RE: GPS, I wonder if you have a special reason to use it. It's such a common feature on smart phones, I'd guess half the Nook owners here don't need it on their (ahem) "tablet" because they've already got it on an Android phone...which also makes calling unnecessary on the Nook. It's obviously not an all-in-one device, but what it does, it does exceptionally well.

The closest thing to an all-in-one fantasy device would be an iphone or comparable android phone. But they're less-than-ideal for extended reading or video watching. 7" tablets are too big to be a phone or truly "portable" (not that I don't lug around my nook color like a big dork). I've given up on the "one device to rule them all" mentality. Until they make a foldable 7" tablet that can fit in your pocket. I've seen flexible screen technology, but not foldable (without an apparent seam anyhow).

Another thing: my NC is kind of 4th child at the moment (two humans, one canine, and one android - heh heh). I don't think it would be best for her to be lugged everywhere, or to be left in the car overnight etc. I use a cheap chinese gps for that purpose. In fact I leave the car unlocked. I'd rather the thieves just take it, without smashing up my stuff. I have a sign that says "doors unlocked" on my window. (last one = not true)

Last edited:

jdog

Jan 26, 2011

But keep us posted on what you end up choosing!

-Matt

No special reason really. I more or less just think it would be a cool trick to show off. haha As you stated, I've been more than pleased with my moto droids navigation. I guess the fact that I've been so pleased with my phone tends to make me want a tablet with the same feature set....but realistically I probably don't need them all. Honestly, the tab will more than likely be used for browsing and keeping my daughter entertained. BTW, we demo'd the kiddie book narration lastnight. That is pretty cool.

jdog

Jan 26, 2011
Ok, so I didn't quite make it to mid february. Picked up my nook tonite. I gotta say this 1.0.0 version is pretty lame/sluggish. Can't wait for batt to charge so I can root/flash.