Tether GPS, NC and Google maps as GPS solution?

nookdrvr

Dec 31, 2011
Apologies from newbie if this is old issue, didn't find anything right on point.

Running--or trying, anyway-- TetherGPS on Casio 771 phone and Nook Color w/ N2A card. Google maps on NC for navigate. Looking for large screen nav and Torque app display for my pre-nav vehicle.

This has only worked for about 15 minutes, after 4 days of install, reinstall, checking settings etc. Far cry from demos on youtube. Main issue is that Google maps, when asked to run Navigate, gives me a message that it needs "a build with Driveabout", like its missing a feature, or maybe not getting all gps info over TGPS. Can't tell where problem is, phone, TGPS, N2A card, Maps etc. Devices are tethering, some gps info is being shared, but that's where process ends. I'm not a geek, am reasonably smart and willing to drill down, but looking in this case for a solution and not a hobby.

Anyone have this experience, any direction as to where to start, go w/ bluetooth solution? Use something other than Maps? I have a lot of apps on phone and Nook that work as advertised, this one is a surprise especially after seeing demos on youtube.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If you need it to just work you might want to consider a 3rd party navigator app rather than google. You did raise two possibilities worth looking into to get google to work though 1) check to see that you have google navigation or any other add on that maps might requires (street view is an add on for example) and 2) is possible that even if you have all of the appropriate map add ons that maps isn't getting all of the data it needs from TGPS.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Something tells me the Nook's processor probably can't handle that. It's not designed for such a CPU heavy application I'd think. The tablet's processor might, but of course BN locked it up pretty tight and it's probably not possible to tether.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Something tells me the Nook's processor probably can't handle that. It's not designed for such a CPU heavy application I'd think. The tablet's processor might, but of course BN locked it up pretty tight and it's probably not possible to tether.

Actually the NC works just fine tethering to a GPS receiver even at the stock 800MHz. There are a couple of threads in apps section from the early days of Nook Color rooting that deal with GPS tethering without issue, though I'm not sure what this specific issue is. The OP might want to check those threads to find the GPS apps that work.

nookdrvr

Dec 31, 2011
Thanks for input. I'll check earlier threads. After further use, TGPS now refuses to tether at all, and a bluetooth app specificallu for the nook doesbnotbconnect at all. If it had not worked originally briefly, I woild think that Verizon had hobbled the phone.

Sent from my C771 using Android Tablet Forum