Bricked, I guess

Bobw

Jan 26, 2012
Have a ViewSonic G Tablet that had been rooted to the Vegan-Tab Edition Rom. Worked fine.

Then yours truly got the idea he wanted HoneyComb 3.1 back on, so he went to "droidpirate" and purchased the mini sd to do just so. NOPE!!

Now, all I get when I power on is :"Magic Value Missmatch"
"Unrecognized root device"

Is the Sonic salvagable, does anyone know.

Any help appreciated, as I am a novice, and now know I had no business starting this to begin with.

Bob

mikespe

May 18, 2011
Have a ViewSonic G Tablet that had been rooted to the Vegan-Tab Edition Rom. Worked fine.

Then yours truly got the idea he wanted HoneyComb 3.1 back on, so he went to "droidpirate" and purchased the mini sd to do just so. NOPE!!

Now, all I get when I power on is :"Magic Value Missmatch"
"Unrecognized root device"

Is the Sonic salvagable, does anyone know.

Any help appreciated, as I am a novice, and now know I had no business starting this to begin with.

Bob

So you bought an SD card got the gTab & installed it and THEN had this problem? Take it out & try to reboot...if not are you rooted? If yes can you get into recovery (ClockworkMod preferably) If YES then you will need to format your SD card to FAT32 (You WILL lose any data saved on that card!!!) If not rooted or can't get into CWM do you have a microSD card adapter so you can access it from your computer? If yes use that & your computer to format the SD card to FAT32...

If NONE of this works then head on over to Slatedroid.com...the gTablet is one of their specialties and one of the members will guide you to a fix. I've had a gTab for almost a year not & just updated to an Acer A500. The gTab is almost UNBRICKABLE!!! You might have to learn a few new "hacking" tricks so be prepared for a learning curve.

Bobw

Jan 26, 2012
I bought the G Tablet and it was rooted to the Vegan-Tab Edition Rom. Worked fine, so I then decided I wanted Honeycomb 3.1 on the G Tab instead.

Went to "droidpirate website" and bought sd card to do job.

I must have really messed up, because now all I get is:

Magic Value Mismatch
Critical Failure: Unable to start kernel
Unrecoverable bootloader error(0x00000002)

Afraid formatting sdCard to Fat 32 is above my level.

Read somewhere to disconnect battery and reset everything...NOT work, even hit rset button while in there..no results

Pretty frustrated at this point.

Thanks

Bob

mikespe

May 18, 2011
I bought the G Tablet and it was rooted to the Vegan-Tab Edition Rom. Worked fine, so I then decided I wanted Honeycomb 3.1 on the G Tab instead.

Went to "droidpirate website" and bought sd card to do job.

I must have really messed up, because now all I get is:

Magic Value Mismatch
Critical Failure: Unable to start kernel
Unrecoverable bootloader error(0x00000002)

Afraid formatting sdCard to Fat 32 is above my level.

Read somewhere to disconnect battery and reset everything...NOT work, even hit rset button while in there..no results

Pretty frustrated at this point.

Thanks

Bob

Go to slatedroid.com & look for a thread with the Flashback rom. It's under the 1.2 ROM Development part of the forum (I'd post it here but I'm not sure the policy here for posting direct links to other forums?)...it's a honeycomb rom created for the gTab. You will need to do a LOT of reading & studying if you want to restore your tablet. It's NOT permanently bricked...it CAN be recovered but you WILL need to get your hands dirty. LEARN how to do this stuff yourself so you won't have to buy someone else's projects. Flashing roms, NVFlash, etc...are all pretty easy to learn if you go slow...

But I'm going to be quite honest. If you don't feel comfortable formating your SD card...you probably shouldn't be flashing roms on your tablet. Formating is very basic stuff. If you take the time to learn it the people over at slatedroid will walk you through the harder parts. Last year at this time I never knew about flashing roms or recovery or any of that stuff. I'm still no expert & don't feel comfortable teaching it to someone...but I started with my original Droid 1 & rooted it, flashed a rom & overclocked it all in one weekend! Once you do it one time...you'll feel better about doing it...

Your other alternative is to buy a new tablet (not a USED one...). The Acer Iconia A500 refurb models are being sold for about $280 and the A200 BRAND NEW are $350...
Good luck