Can Wait for Good Tablets

jdelgado

May 11, 2010
I hope that the companies start releasing the "Good" tablets like NotionInk to get mine and start using the Kindle Android app

joshua.lyon

Jun 11, 2010
I hope that the companies start releasing the "Good" tablets like NotionInk to get mine and start using the Kindle Android app
I think we are all looking forward to some of the more high-end tablets coming out. For now, I can deal with paying $169 for the aPad (Moonse E-7001) to tide me over.

The challenge for me is that some of the higher end devices will be closer to the iPad price point $500-1000 and by that time I'm hoping a quality Windows 7 tablet will be out. If I'm paying $1000, I'd want the tablet to be able to run ALL of my apps -- not just the ones I got from the Market/App Store.

It amazes me that Windows 7 touch has lost it's 'hotness' in the market. I've used a number of touch-enabled Win7 devices and they really are pretty sexy.

jdelgado

May 11, 2010
Joshua,

How do you like the Moonse E-7001 ? I am tempted to get the Cruz or any other with Android 2.1 or higher while I wait for the high end tablets.

joshua.lyon

Jun 11, 2010
Joshua,

How do you like the Moonse E-7001 ? I am tempted to get the Cruz or any other with Android 2.1 or higher while I wait for the high end tablets.
I have both the Moonse E-7001 and a knock-off aPad. I really like the Moonse E-7001 for what I bought it for. It's great for surfing the web, instant messaging, and playing with some of the cool Android apps (XBMC remote / RoboDefense).

History
Previous to buying the Moonse, I purchased a device that was listed as an aPad with a 600 Mhz processor from ChinaGrabber (DO NOT BUY FROM THEM). I sent several e-mails over a three week period to ChinaGrabber, but never received a response. The device ultimately did arrive, but it was not the same device that they described and showed in the videos. I tested the processor speed on the unit from ChinaGrabber and it turns out it's really only a 350 MHz processor. The interface is a bit sluggish and things just don't load that fast on the ChinaGrabber unit.

Soon after ordering from ChinaGrabber, I placed the order for the Moonse E-7001 from Merimobiles. I asked them several questions while I was waiting to get the device and they responded promptly to all of them. I did have to deal with a 3-5 day delay due to a Chinese holiday, but based on all the other reviews I heard of Merimobiles I was pretty confident I would get the device I ordered.

Moonse Review
When I received the Moonse E-7001, I could instantly tell a difference in quality compared to the crap unit from ChinaGrabber. The black border around the screen is much smaller on the Moonse and the device just generally looks more polished (less blemishes, etc). The menu is also much snappier and the Moonse loads applications much faster than it's knock-off brother. Overall, I'm happy with the decision to buy the Moonse E-7001.

It still has room for improvements. I've tried a number of games and very few of them work with the firmware I am running (Hybrid aPad/Archos firmware). I am completely addicted to the one game I did find that was working -- RoboDefense. It may just be that it's new, but I find myself using the Moonse every night. I guess I just keep finding new things to entertain me... ;)

The one thing to keep in mind is that the Moonse is not an iPad. It's a MID. It is good for certain things, but lacks some of the polish that an iPad has. That being said, the Moonse has most of the features that I would want out of an iPad and at a fraction of the price.

Other Thoughts: Hardware vs Software
One thing that you'll hear often is that you should make sure you put the hardware as a higher priority than the software. The Moonse is running Android 1.5 whereas my knock-off from ChinaGrabber is running 1.7...but the Moonse is many times better because it has a better processor.

If you look at the big picture, the software differences are relatively minor when compared with how big of a gap there is between the hardware (processors, etc). I would urge buyers to make sure they take a good look at the hardware specs before worrying about the software versions. Often times we get stuck on wanting a higher software version without really having solid reasons other than it's a higher version number.

Last edited:

jdelgado

May 11, 2010
Thanks Joshua for taking the time and explain with details why you like the Moonse

joshua.lyon

Jun 11, 2010
hi, new here. but i am contemplating which tablet to get for now until the better ones arrive. i'm really waiting for something with the tegra 2 in it. what do you guys think of this one:

Android 2.1 SmartQ V7 MID 1080P HD Tablet UMPC 7 HDMI - eBay (item 140421949662 end time Jul-01-10 19:01:45 PDT)

or this one:

Witstech A81-E Android 2.1 +WinCE6.0+Free Case
Do either of them have access to the Android Market? It's something many people overlook and get frustrated when they get the device, but realize they can't download the apps they were looking forward to (there are other ways to get apps). I've heard a lot of good things about the SmartQ V7 (speculation), but I'm not sure I've heard anything directly from someone who has one of the Android versions (just the older WinCE flashes).

suarve2

Jun 30, 2010
hi, new here. but i am contemplating which tablet to get for now until the better ones arrive. i'm really waiting for something with the tegra 2 in it. what do you guys think of this one:

Android 2.1 SmartQ V7 MID 1080P HD Tablet UMPC 7 HDMI - eBay (item 140421949662 end time Jul-01-10 19:01:45 PDT)

or this one:

Witstech A81-E Android 2.1 +WinCE6.0+Free Case
Do either of them have access to the Android Market? It's something many people overlook and get frustrated when they get the device, but realize they can't download the apps they were looking forward to (there are other ways to get apps). I've heard a lot of good things about the SmartQ V7 (speculation), but I'm not sure I've heard anything directly from someone who has one of the Android versions (just the older WinCE flashes).

i'm pretty sure that the smartq V7 can access the android market, but i am not sure about the other one. can't seem to find that much on it yet. i'll have to keep looking.